Enough about Mitch...O-line?

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
I'm tired of bitching about Trubisky. Yes, he's not going to be what all hoped for when they drafted him so high. Yes, there are many regrets (2 big QB ones in particular) about where he was taken in the draft and who the Bears could have had. That is low-hanging fruit.

Here's a bigger question: How is this o-line going to be fixed? It's awful right now.

Give me some type of a plan to make this unit not only adequate again, but a strength of this team. The last thing they should be doing is going out and drafting some young stud, only to watch him get beat up behind this garbage line. They need to have improvements in place to increase the chances of success for the next guy, whomever that is.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
It’s not the o line. It’s the qb and the system. Nagy sets up the run by passing, and Mitch can’t pass or read a defense. The o line is doing what they can, but they’re being hung out to dry by Trubs and Nagy.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
A RB cant make his own holes..Guys like Walter could slip thru the tiniest of cracks, but he was the rare one...Our O line is failing

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
I watched Trubs on a run pass option play, he takes the ball back from the running back even though the run was wide open, and throws into triple coverage....he’s an idiot.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
And can they please get anything resembling a servicable tight end (I suppose that's kind of loosely connected to the o-line as well), too?

How can Nagy work with someone like Kelce in this offense, then come here and get no one to fill that role? Is this a front office problem, or can he seriously not target someone to be your young QB's security blanket?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ol will have to be fixed in f.a

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Draft good linemen?
Well, yeah, obviously that's part of it. Maybe just a few more specifics than that?

I feel like they've neglected the o-line in recent drafts and it's coming back to haunt them now. They're picking up a lot of "OK" guys through FA, and it's coming home to roost, particularly when people get injured.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since you brought it up OP...I thought Leno had his best game of the season. Granted that bar was damn near on the floor and there was next to no run blocking to be done, but if you are trying to find small victories in that mess...Leno was upgraded to "inconsistent" from "liability" IMO.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Well, you need more talent.

LT - Leno - He's bad. Gotta move on.
LG - Whitehair - Was a guard/center. Might have been a better center last year than guard this year?
C - Daniels - he was a center in college, but he was probably a better guard last year. Could always switch back?
RG -Long - He's not healthy. Don't care if he's under 30, his playing career is probably over.
RT - Massie - So good that another team gave up on him.

When you look at positional cap spending the Bears spent $20.6M along the OL. That's the second lowest in the NFL to Dolphins ($12.6M). Often that number is lower because a team invested a bunch of draft picks and still have some starters on rookie deals. In the Bears case that's true for Daniels, but the rest were either FAs or draft picks that turned into extensions (Leno/Whitehair/Long).

For drafting the Bears have tried. Daniels and Whitehair were both 2nd rounders. Leno was a 7th. Long was a 1st rounder. The problem I have is that's the extent of resources you've been able to allocate to the OL over the past 5 years, meaning you have to resign those players. This could be due to thinks like the Mack trade or to a lesser extend moving up to get Mitch. Either way, by the percentages first rounders have the highest chance of success. When looking at their first round picks you'd see LB Smith, QB Mitch, Edge Floyd, WR White, CB Fuller and G Long. The last time you drafted a tackle in the first was Gabe Carimi.

Anyway, the reason why the OL is so bad is that the team hasn't made it a priority. Maybe more accurately put they have chosen to allocate more cap space and draft capital into other places. Fans should think, if the OL was better what does that mean? Does it mean Fuller is gone, Smith wouldn't have been drafted or maybe the Mack trade doesn't happen. Going forward if OL becomes a larger priority current areas of strength just don't get the same level of attention.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pegger you sure like to go full Special person. Almost like a Windy lite. Not a single NFL team gives up on two offensive tackles. Massie has not been struggling even nearly as much as Leno. And you don't give up on them after not even half a year of them struggling. Kyle Long got years to prove he was worthless. This is Leno's first down year of his career. Highly doubt they cut bait with him. Even much less so Massie considering he literally improved three consecutive years in a row.

PFTCB

Liked Posts:
I don't think our O-line is good at all, but I do think they were playing probably the best front 4 in the league last night and got beat a lot but still created some serviceable room for Mitch. Running was a different story for sure but we'll never know because they completely abandoned it. Seeing Mitch make some of those dummy throws when there were WIDE OPEN receivers or overthrow or underthrow like he always does has to be so disheartening to Nagy and the rest of the team. How do you fix that? They can't trust him, that's all.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Easier to find lineman than QBs. We’re fucked.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Pegger you sure like to go full Special person. Almost like a Windy lite. Not a single NFL team gives up on two offensive tackles. Massie has not been struggling even nearly as much as Leno. And you don't give up on them after not even half a year of them struggling. Kyle Long got years to prove he was worthless. This is Leno's first down year of his career. Highly doubt they cut bait with him. Even much less so Massie considering he literally improved three consecutive years in a row.

Leno and Massie have shown year over year improvement leading up to this season and I understand that you can't have probowlers across the OL. The salary cap just won't allow it. All NFL teams are constructed differently in terms of prioritizing positions and allocating draft capital. I was just pointing out that the Bears have not been allocating much cap space to the positional group or have used that many first round draft picks to the OL group as a whole.

That's just a fact. Sometimes you get what you pay for. In this situation they went a little cheaper along the OL and so far this year they are paying for it.

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
I really don't get why the OL doesn't get more flak for the game yesterday.

They were the worst position group and I don't think it was even close.

They're usually solid in pass protection, but they got absolutely abused all game in pass pro. It was absolutely pathetic.

Jordan the Saints front were roasting smores on Mitch's charred corpse.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I'm tired of bitching about Trubisky. Yes, he's not going to be what all hoped for when they drafted him so high. Yes, there are many regrets (2 big QB ones in particular) about where he was taken in the draft and who the Bears could have had. That is low-hanging fruit.

Here's a bigger question: How is this o-line going to be fixed? It's awful right now.

Give me some type of a plan to make this unit not only adequate again, but a strength of this team. The last thing they should be doing is going out and drafting some young stud, only to watch him get beat up behind this garbage line. They need to have improvements in place to increase the chances of success for the next guy, whomever that is.
I believe there are players on this O-Line, namely Whitehair and Daniels. I think our RG, RT, and LT need to be overhauled, as well as our depth.

We need to make a decision asap: are we fixing our OLine via the draft or the rest of the offense next year?

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:

How many wide open receivers is Scrubisky going to overthrow? Thats not the Oline. How many wide open receivers is Scrubisky going to miss entirely because he doesn't see them? Thats not the Oline! Scrubisky being too slow on his progressions? Thats not the Oline!

You have defenses playing 8 guys in the box against a rookie who has zero burst off the snap and an undersized RB who's never been a great runner out of the backfield. Of course the run game is going to be shit! Defenses dont respect Scrubisky so they're letting him throw while they stack against the run and hes so terrible he cant take advantage of this. Could the Oline be better? Sure. But ive seen QBs do more with less protection and time too throw.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And can they please get anything resembling a servicable tight end (I suppose that's kind of loosely connected to the o-line as well), too?

How can Nagy work with someone like Kelce in this offense, then come here and get no one to fill that role? Is this a front office problem, or can he seriously not target someone to be your young QB's security blanket?

It's not Burton it's the system.