Enough about Mitch...O-line?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Well, yeah, obviously that's part of it. Maybe just a few more specifics than that?

I feel like they've neglected the o-line in recent drafts and it's coming back to haunt them now. They're picking up a lot of "OK" guys through FA, and it's coming home to roost, particularly when people get injured.
Strange time to complain so much about the offensive line. Yes, the rushing game was terrible (and non-existent) but it was at least over 3 yards per rush average if you take out the receiver rushes.

Seeing that there were 54 passes, it is a good job by the offensive line for only giving up 2 sacks and the first one being stupidity on Trubisky's part. He holds the untouched defender with a fake hand off to the RB (the defensive lineman even takes a step towards the sideline because he thought Trubisky was going to run with it), then, knowing that there is an unblocked defender right in front of him, Trubisky just sits there and lets the defender sack him.

Madden

Liked Posts:
Switch Whitehair and Daniels back. I can't say this enough. It's the whole thing that started the demise of the O-line. Every time the Bears have tried changing o-line positions in the past it has failed miserably. Hey we have 2 good young lineman! LETS CHANGE THINGS FOR BOTH OF THEM AND MAKE THEM BOTH WORSE. Can anyone say that this has worked out at all? The interior gets zero push at all yet they refuse to switch them back or do anything at all. Benching Long was a small step that took 6 weeks to do, now do something about the C and LG because they both suck at creating holes whatsoever. Last year we weren't this horrible, yet Nagy refuses to admit it was a mistake in switching them.

Also ditch the RPO's or at least limit them significantly. How is the O-line supposed to know whether to run block or pass block when every play is a stupid RPO. It would help them all be on the same page.

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Strange time to complain so much about the offensive line. Yes, the rushing game was terrible (and non-existent) but it was at least over 3 yards per rush average if you take out the receiver rushes.

Seeing that there were 54 passes, it is a good job by the offensive line for only giving up 2 sacks and the first one being stupidity on Trubisky's part. He holds the untouched defender with a fake hand off to the RB (the defensive lineman even takes a step towards the sideline because he thought Trubisky was going to run with it), then, knowing that there is an unblocked defender right in front of him, Trubisky just sits there and lets the defender sack him.

Nah dude. Nah.

2 sacks don't tell the story. Far too often was the pocket collapsing within 2 seconds and Trubisky has to retreat.

He avoided a ton of would-be sacks, but the OL got absolutely owned in pass protection yesterday. It's usually pretty solid, but not yesterday. Not at all.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
IF you build a good enough offense, even garbage like Alex Smith will look great.

Ask the Chiefs. How did Alex Smith look the second he left KC? Oh, right, league worst.

Yeah I must have missed Alex Smith throwing 50 tds and winning league MVP when he was in KC. ?

You're another one of these idiots who can't handle the fact that the Bears chose the worst (by far) of the three and they had to choose from, and now try to claim that Mahomes and Watson putting up over 60 tds already while Trubisky can't hit open receivers is all because of the players around them.

GTFOH

kerrywoodwins20

Harvey Weinstein's Biggest Fan
Liked Posts:
You seem to take this forum a little too seriously. But if hating Trubisky makes you feel better, by all means, god only knows how you would let this frustration out otherwise. The offense is trash at almost every position though. That's when you blame coaches and general managers, not quarterbacks.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
You seem to take this forum a little too seriously. But if hating Trubisky makes you feel better, by all means, god only knows how you would let this frustration out otherwise. The offense is trash at almost every position though. That's when you blame coaches and general managers, not quarterbacks.

Why can't I blame all of the above?

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
IF you build a good enough offense, even garbage like Alex Smith will look great.

Ask the Chiefs. How did Alex Smith look the second he left KC? Oh, right, league worst.
How did Mitch Trubisky look when he gets time to throw? Foh

kerrywoodwins20

Liked Posts:
Why can't I blame all of the above?

Blaming everyone is fine. The excessive focus on Mitch makes no sense though. Nagy does not seem to be an NFL caliber head coach, and he's the one teaching Mitch how to play quarterback at this level. That is bad news for Mitch, the Bears, and Bears fans.

kerrywoodwins20

Liked Posts:
How did Mitch Trubisky look when he gets time to throw? Foh

Burton dropped a first down pass that hit his hands. That killed a drive. Miller fumbled. That killed a drive. Montgomery fumbled. That killed a drive. At that time, it was 12-10, the game was still manageable.

This whole team sucks on the offensive side of the ball. It's easy to blame one player, but it's almost everyone.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Burton dropped a first down pass that hit his hands. That killed a drive. Miller fumbled. That killed a drive. Montgomery fumbled. That killed a drive. At that time, it was 12-10, the game was still manageable.

This whole team sucks on the offensive side of the ball. It's easy to blame one player, but it's almost everyone.
whos saying Mitch is the only person to blame?

Mitch apologists are not hard to spot. Dying breed.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I didn’t see you mention the 3 dropped INTs. What’s up with that?

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Don't remember there being 3, but I guess we could put Daniel in. He never has dropped interceptions because he throws about 7 mph.
He also can score more than 3 points before the game is over.

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
I watched Trubs on a run pass option play, he takes the ball back from the running back even though the run was wide open, and throws into triple coverage....he’s an idiot.
If he handed the ball off...Cam would of got his ass. I tired of seeing that RPO shit. Keep handing that ball off

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good QBs make o lines better. Saints didn’t even go after Trubs until they built a lead. They were making him play qb. He was spayed the whole game and it was easy pickings after that

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Yeah I must have missed Alex Smith throwing 50 tds and winning league MVP when he was in KC. ?

You're another one of these idiots who can't handle the fact that the Bears chose the worst (by far) of the three and they had to choose from, and now try to claim that Mahomes and Watson putting up over 60 tds already while Trubisky can't hit open receivers is all because of the players around them.

GTFOH
It doesn't have to be 50 TDs and winning league MVP to be effective. He's right, you're wrong in regards to KC's offense not making Alex Smith look better than he ever did anywhere else.
SF/Washington Stats (8 seasons): 91 TD passes, 68 INTs, one season with a completion % over 62.5%
Kansas City stats (5 seasons): 102 TD passes, 33 INTs, 4 of 5 seasons with a completion % of 65.3% or better

Don't get me wrong. I also believe Mitch's time in Chicago is just about over, and we need to move on from this mistake. However, we've got to get over this Mahomes/Watson thing; it's not productive. 10 other teams didn't believe in Watson. 8 other teams passed on Mahomes. Mahomes is a once in a generation player, and nothing I saw him do at Texas Tech made me believe he was going to be THIS special. Watson had the pedigree with a successful championship team, but how many times have we seen a stud college QB not translate to a successful NFL QB? If they were such no-brainers, they wouldn't have lasted to pick to pick #10 and beyond; they would have gone #1-#2.

The offense is a UNIT. The QB needs to be solid, the o-line needs to be solid, the running game needs to be solid, the receivers need to be solid. The one thing that is always a constant with truly great teams/Super Bowl teams is great line play. Brady's line doesn't make him run for his life and they open holes for their running game. Look at how much Mahomes struggled in the two losses they had before he got injured on Thursday. Sure he made some amazing plays; he's Patrick Mahomes - but their offensive consistency was awful, and it cost them those games. It takes an entire unit to be consistently good. That's why I get tired of the whining about Mitch; it's low-hanging fruit and too easy to dump on the QB. The entire system is the problem right now, and the o-line is a big part of that.

That's all I'm saying.

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
It doesn't have to be 50 TDs and winning league MVP to be effective. He's right, you're wrong in regards to KC's offense not making Alex Smith look better than he ever did anywhere else.
SF/Washington Stats (8 seasons): 91 TD passes, 68 INTs, one season with a completion % over 62.5%
Kansas City stats (5 seasons): 102 TD passes, 33 INTs, 4 of 5 seasons with a completion % of 65.3% or better

Don't get me wrong. I also believe Mitch's time in Chicago is just about over, and we need to move on from this mistake. However, we've got to get over this Mahomes/Watson thing; it's not productive. 10 other teams didn't believe in Watson. 8 other teams passed on Mahomes. Mahomes is a once in a generation player, and nothing I saw him do at Texas Tech made me believe he was going to be THIS special. Watson had the pedigree with a successful championship team, but how many times have we seen a stud college QB not translate to a successful NFL QB? If they were such no-brainers, they wouldn't have lasted to pick to pick #10 and beyond; they would have gone #1-#2.

The offense is a UNIT. The QB needs to be solid, the o-line needs to be solid, the running game needs to be solid, the receivers need to be solid. The one thing that is always a constant with truly great teams/Super Bowl teams is great line play. Brady's line doesn't make him run for his life and they open holes for their running game. Look at how much Mahomes struggled in the two losses they had before he got injured on Thursday. Sure he made some amazing plays; he's Patrick Mahomes - but their offensive consistency was awful, and it cost them those games. It takes an entire unit to be consistently good. That's why I get tired of the whining about Mitch; it's low-hanging fruit and too easy to dump on the QB. The entire system is the problem right now, and the o-line is a big part of that.

That's all I'm saying.

Well said. I'm open to suggestions on moving on from Trubisky, but that isn't in the cards right now.

But the offensive woes go WELL beyond Trubisky's play. They have no run game whatsoever, their receivers minus Robinson are bad. Tight Ends? What are those? The offensive line? I'd love to play them in Jenga. If they make the tower collapse as quickly as they allowed the pocket to yesterday, I'd be in good shape.

When it's literally every position that is playing awful, then it's time to point the finger at coaching. The offense is schematically flawed and the coaching needs to be called into question. If your QB sucks, why are you having him throw the ball 54 times with zero run support? It's not even that Nagy attempted to run and didn't work. He flat out gave up running it period after what? 3 plays? That's bad coaching.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Every position is playing awful because the one guy that handle the ball on every play is just not doing his job. bad QB play makes everything break down. Good QBs bring everyone up. The team rises and falls with Trubs and he's in free fall.