F.O.: Lions Most Likely to Be Worst to First...

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
...out of all of the last place divisional teams from 2018

"1. Detroit Lions
Chances of winning division: 25.5% (2nd in division)
Chances of making playoffs: 39.8% (14th in NFL)
Our most surprising preseason pick plays in what we think is the NFL's most competitive division. All four teams in the NFC North win the division in at least 22% of our simulations."

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Detoilet vs Tampa, NYG, Arizona, Cincinatti, NYJ, Oakland and Jacksonville. Someone has to have the best odds.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would take that as a compliment for how tough the NFC North just became these last couple of years, but I would give the Raiders better odds right now. Mahomes goes down and that division is up for grabs again.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
A team with a bumbling idiot as HC who’s literally never won the NFC North is most likely to go worst to first with three far superior teams in the division to jump over? Lol okay.

Last edited:

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A team with a bumbling idiot as HC who’s literally never won the NFC North is most likely to go first to worst with three far superior teams in the division to jump over? Lol okay.
did you have too much fruity pebbles? the article says worst to first, not first to worst. The Lions were the worst in the division in 2018, guy.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
"The Lions' playoff odds are helped by the fact that Football Outsiders foresees Chicago falling back to the pack. The Bears have a ton of talent on defense, but defensive performance simply isn't as consistent as offensive performance from year to year. Over the past dozen years, the top defense in our rankings has fallen to ninth place, on average, the following year. In a situation opposite to Detroit's, Chicago lapped the league last year with takeaways on 19.1% of drives. That number is likely to be significantly lower this season."

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
did you have too much fruity pebbles? the article says worst to first, not first to worst. The Lions were the worst in the division in 2018, guy.

That’s literally what my post says.

Thanks

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
"The Lions' playoff odds are helped by the fact that Football Outsiders foresees Chicago falling back to the pack. The Bears have a ton of talent on defense, but defensive performance simply isn't as consistent as offensive performance from year to year. Over the past dozen years, the top defense in our rankings has fallen to ninth place, on average, the following year. In a situation opposite to Detroit's, Chicago lapped the league last year with takeaways on 19.1% of drives. That number is likely to be significantly lower this season."

Defenses are less likely to remain dominant because they require multiple positions to be strong. While a QB can carry an offense with a bad supporting cast.

With the Bears, the defense really comes down to injuries. Everyone they have that was good last year is still below 30 except for Prince I believe.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
First to team to physically no-show from week 13 on..

UrlacherRules1977

Liked Posts:
I would take that as a compliment for how tough the NFC North just became these last couple of years, but I would give the Raiders better odds right now. Mahomes goes down and that division is up for grabs again.
If Mahomes goes down, the Chargers will lock up the division, the Raiders will be battling for 3rd.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Yeah this is likely to be the case with injuries and a new scheme that might not have the right pieces at CB. This is on Mitch to elevate his play, the OL to produce more running lanes, and Montgomery/Davis to be much more explosive than Howard. And of course improved special teams

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah this is likely to be the case with injuries and a new scheme that might not have the right pieces at CB. This is on Mitch to elevate his play, the OL to produce more running lanes, and Montgomery/Davis to be much more explosive than Howard. And of course improved special teams

I find it difficult to believe that Ryan Pace (and Nagy), when interviewing Pagano, wouldn't have asked him how much he intends to change the scheme that worked perfectly for the personnel he's spent the last five years assembling. I'm really hoping they don't let him mess with it too much.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I find it difficult to believe that Ryan Pace (and Nagy), when interviewing Pagano, wouldn't have asked him how much he intends to change the scheme that worked perfectly for the personnel he's spent the last five years assembling. I'm really hoping they don't let him mess with it too much.
You'd figure this is a bit like the Buddy Ryan situation way back when they hired Vince Tobin. Although Pagano has had more success at the NFL level than when the Bears hired Tobin.

Pagano just sounds revitalized in his pressers. I think that whole debacle in Indy at the end of his HC stint really took a toll on him.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Mahomes goes down, the Chargers will lock up the division, the Raiders will be battling for 3rd.

Probably, but I would give the Raiders better odds to take out the Broncos and Bolts than the Lions somehow taking out the Pack, Vikes and Bears.