Fear The Walking Dead

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is funny to see all the massive things they are missing in the show- both the stuff that was pointed out that does not seem to exist, but more hilariously, the things they could use to improve their lives and chances of survival.

No windmills- an easy source of power, especially with the sheer amount of car batteries available. Hell, You could go the easy route, bolt blades on the wheel of an alternator, hook up a couple wires, and viola- power.
Hook that shit up to an inverter, and viola! AC!!

Water filtration systems.

...Was encouraged to see Morgan using a CB radio- glad someone figured that out rather than rechargable hand held radios.

Body armor to stop bites.

Construction equipment and endless supplies of building material to fortify walls. Digging trenches.

Lack of aerial transportation in settlements- zip lines or catwalks connecting buildings that lead to a weapons cache- in case of zombie overload climb a ladder and pick em off at your leisure from above.

Lack of the most simple vehicle modification- a cow catcher style front that allows a strong vehicle to plow through hundreds or thousands of walkers in a snap (for proof of concept, see the mythbusters episode where they plow a truck through a shit ton of cars with nary a slow down in speed)

Poor placement of villages- put it on a river where you have water, fish, and a water mill.

...so many obvious, simple fixes to their biggest problems.

Well I would say some simple stuff you mention requires people to be handy at the very least and as we know much of our population is not handy.

However, I would think many survivors are smart/handy.... but then again Eugene is this engineering God to them.

As for settlement placement, I get that one.... people found a spot that was defensible either because of terrain, or the people, or some combination and so they fortified and held on to that spot.

Hilltop - terrain
Alexandria - location/terrain
Saviors - location/people
Woodbury - people (I guess)
Prison - location/terrain
Hershel's Farm - location/terrain
Season 1 Camp - location/terrain
FTWD Mexico Ranch - location/terrain/people
FTWD Texas(?) Ranch - location/terrain/people
FTWD Baseball stadium - location/terrain

Most people after a zombie apocalypse look for safety first and foremost, they don't think about long term goals like power/water/farming.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The saviors, Woodbury, and the texas ranch I can kind of get- those were places where hunters existed en masse.

The prison was a great idea and badly executed- they never got around to securing and clearing the entire place...despite rick having time to go all farmer joe.

Hilltop... great place that used available resources- the utility poles they scavenged and made in to a wall was a very wise idea. However, if you are building a wall to keep yourself safe, it is stupid to do so without having water. Perhaps there is a well in there. It would make sense if it was a historic house.

Herschels farm was vulnerable... but that was the early days. I can forgive them not expecting a herd of dead. The mini herd that scared carols kid away was the largest they had seen to that point, and that was tiny compared to the ones that have grown over the years. Nice place, survived on luck, but doomed. And it should have taught everyone a lesson.

The Resort in FTWD was pretty cool. Wouldnt take much more than a bunch of plastic sheeting and a few holes in the sand to create a reliable source of drinking water for everyone, but ultimately doomed by population. to visible in too populated an area to stand for long.

The baseball stadium should have been great, but after a year there they couldnt fortify it- so that is that.

Alexandria was pretty good- but they should have bulldozed the buildings outside the wall. They had a solid place that took an armed assault to fuck it up. Not much they did wrong there.
They had the pond... but i wonder if it is spoiled now- Darryl led all the zombies in there after dumping in gas and setting it on fire.

Maybe they should steal some mobile homes, a few rigs loaded with I beams, a crane, and make for the center of the lake ponchetrain bridge. About as safe from walkers as you can get, withstood all nature could throw at it. water is brackish but that could be overcome. I would be down for a village in the middle!

maxresdefault.jpg

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The saviors, Woodbury, and the texas ranch I can kind of get- those were places where hunters existed en masse.

The prison was a great idea and badly executed- they never got around to securing and clearing the entire place...despite rick having time to go all farmer joe.

Hilltop... great place that used available resources- the utility poles they scavenged and made in to a wall was a very wise idea. However, if you are building a wall to keep yourself safe, it is stupid to do so without having water. Perhaps there is a well in there. It would make sense if it was a historic house.

Herschels farm was vulnerable... but that was the early days. I can forgive them not expecting a herd of dead. The mini herd that scared carols kid away was the largest they had seen to that point, and that was tiny compared to the ones that have grown over the years. Nice place, survived on luck, but doomed. And it should have taught everyone a lesson.

The Resort in FTWD was pretty cool. Wouldnt take much more than a bunch of plastic sheeting and a few holes in the sand to create a reliable source of drinking water for everyone, but ultimately doomed by population. to visible in too populated an area to stand for long.

The baseball stadium should have been great, but after a year there they couldnt fortify it- so that is that.

Alexandria was pretty good- but they should have bulldozed the buildings outside the wall. They had a solid place that took an armed assault to fuck it up. Not much they did wrong there.
They had the pond... but i wonder if it is spoiled now- Darryl led all the zombies in there after dumping in gas and setting it on fire.

Maybe they should steal some mobile homes, a few rigs loaded with I beams, a crane, and make for the center of the lake ponchetrain bridge. About as safe from walkers as you can get, withstood all nature could throw at it. water is brackish but that could be overcome. I would be down for a village in the middle!

maxresdefault.jpg

Eh until that crumbles into the lake.... if using water is your game, just target a small island, get there and secure the whole thing.

When I say small, I mean SMALL, like one of those islands that can be walked in say 30-60 minutes end to end.

Catch rain and/or use well for water.... can fish, grow food, or go on scavenging runs.

Emergency escape can just be a speed boat.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
How about lunatics taking over military places? Getting hands on large arms like belt fed 50 cal or missiles or some c4. No real left over military remnant in all this. Did the president survive?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How about lunatics taking over military places? Getting hands on large arms like belt fed 50 cal or missiles or some c4. No real left over military remnant in all this. Did the president survive?

Honestly I feel that is another giant hole in the overall show.

I got into it with people about this before lol.

But seriously... no Navy SEALs? no Army Rangers? no Marines?

No one with elite level military training/arms survived this whole thing?

All this character evolution into trained killers/survivors.... that's what most soldiers are already trained for.... definitely the elite ones.

And not a single major leader has survived or built a bastion, at the Federal or State level? No Governors (real ones), No Mayors or Sheriffs?

One would think POTUS would still be alive, honestly they have bunkers for nuclear attacks and the Secret Service/Elite military who would be tasked with protecting POTUS could probably carve him a path on foot through hundreds if not thousands of zombies if it came down to it.... assuming the current feeble zombies they portray.

And POTUS wouldn't be on foot, he/she would be in a helicopter or AF1 with SS and military protection.

This is part of what pisses me off... FTWD could have told a much longer early story about how exactly things fell apart and why there is no leadership around.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

All this character evolution into trained killers/survivors.... that's what most soldiers are already trained for.... definitely the elite ones.

And not a single major leader has survived or built a bastion, at the Federal or State level? No Governors (real ones), No Mayors or Sheriffs?

One would think POTUS would still be alive, honestly they have bunkers for nuclear attacks and the Secret Service/Elite military who would be tasked with protecting POTUS could probably carve him a path on foot through hundreds if not thousands of zombies if it came down to it.... assuming the current feeble zombies they portray.

And POTUS wouldn't be on foot, he/she would be in a helicopter or AF1 with SS and military protection.

This is part of what pisses me off... FTWD could have told a much longer early story about how exactly things fell apart and why there is no leadership around.

That story line is one I bet will rear up- a last season kind of thing. I have thought since mid last season that is what the helicoptor people are hinting at. The cleanly packed food that Jadis had and the radio com and solar panels and landing pad and whatnot.

My supposition is that they are consolidating and securing an area and then will begin to spread out and restore some semblance of order... but that would interfere with the governor and saviors story line, so best to wait.

I can even buy that they have not run across anyone that has seen the groups- a straggler would join a massive groups such as that rather than strike out in to the wild again.

They (the directors) have also been very careful to stay away from heavy urban areas... With the exception of atlanta. (and atlanta had the weird cops and hospital with the cryptic line while the cops were fighting... "what if they knew who you REALLY worked for")
I think we will eventually discover that there is a massive military presence somewhere.

The governor ran across the remnants of a military group, one that was cut off. there was the downed military chopper on the roof of the store during the terminus story line, the chopper at the junkyard, the one that flew over rick when they were gearing up to fight the saviors....
There is something out there and they keep teasing it. It will eventually pop.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

There was that one helicopter unit the governor killed and that guy with a tank the governor got killed. But yeah, nuke subs and carriers, those thing go for 25 years, send heavily armed marines on food runs, there is even another tv show about it, The Last Ship.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There was that one helicopter unit the governor killed and that guy with a tank the governor got killed. But yeah, nuke subs and carriers, those thing go for 25 years, send heavily armed marines on food runs, there is even another tv show about it, The Last Ship.

Lol I watch The Last Ship.... it is a fun show that often crosses the line into being ridiculous.

The Captain and XO of the ship constantly go on ground missions together.... like who the fuk u leave in charge of the ship, dummies?

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Those fuckers survived skynet for years.... they could definitely survive zombies!!

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Those fuckers survived skynet for years.... they could definitely survive zombies!!

I love in the World War Z book when they talk about people surviving on the sub or islands.... but a big problem with islands is that zombies just wash up on shore eventually and start invading the island.

So many zombies wind up in the water they are either carried by currents and wash up on land or they end up on walking around on the sea floor lol

The one chapter a dude goes down in his mini sub thing and talks about how there are mega swarms of zombies stumbling around on the sea floor.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I love in the World War Z book when they talk about people surviving on the sub or islands.... but a big problem with islands is that zombies just wash up on shore eventually and start invading the island.

So many zombies wind up in the water they are either carried by currents and wash up on land or they end up on walking around on the sea floor lol

The one chapter a dude goes down in his mini sub thing and talks about how there are mega swarms of zombies stumbling around on the sea floor.

I have wondered bout that... awesome that a book covered it.

My thoughts were this- they would eventually sink as their flesh rots off, so they wind up on the bottom.
However, there are bunch of scavengers down there- from tiny to great white sharks- would they survive a few years of wandering down there or get consumed?

The time lapse from 45 seconds on leads me to think they might not make it too far.

[video=youtube_share;2h4VuvC8KCk]https://youtu.be/2h4VuvC8KCk?t=43[/video]

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have wondered bout that... awesome that a book covered it.

My thoughts were this- they would eventually sink as their flesh rots off, so they wind up on the bottom.
However, there are bunch of scavengers down there- from tiny to great white sharks- would they survive a few years of wandering down there or get consumed?

The time lapse from 45 seconds on leads me to think they might not make it too far.

[video=youtube_share;2h4VuvC8KCk]https://youtu.be/2h4VuvC8KCk?t=43[/video]

Depends.... would eating them make the sharks/scavengers sick? Would it kill them or turn them?

Also in World War Z you're talking about millions of them en mass down there.... so if a shark or something made a mistake going into a horde of them it might get dragged down and eaten similar to how they swarm animals on TWD.

FTR you really have to suspend any biological logic as to zombies if you allow for them to be wandering around under water indefinitely lol

Houston

Liked Posts:
What was the point of merging these shows if Morgan is not even bringing back any of the original fTWD cast with him? lol

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What was the point of merging these shows if Morgan is not even bringing back any of the original fTWD cast with him? lol

I think Alicia and possibly Strand will come over.

If the longshot notion of Madison being alive is true, she would also come over.

Luciana is going to die, I think.

And in truth the characters they've added in this past season have been better characters than what remains on TWD or remained from original FTWD.

Also, I am starting to wonder if they won't delay the merge for 1 more season.... suddenly it feels like they're building a new arc with FTWD and this new villain lady.

Houston

Liked Posts:
The black lady walking around killing people with zombies is one of the dumbest story lines I've ever seen.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The black lady walking around killing people with zombies is one of the dumbest story lines I've ever seen.

I love how last episode showed like 6 people being killed by her sneaking up on them with a zombie at the end of a stick.

The one thing zombies are not.... stealthy.... it would be making noise, trying to fight her as she pushed it towards the victim, and we've seen probably hundreds of instances of people grappling 1on1 with a zombie in front of them and managing to get a blade out and stick it in the brane, but not one of these survivors managed it.

I mean she is kind of a compelling villain, but TWD writers continually ruin their own show with wildly unrealistic stuff.... unrealistic WITHIN THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.

IMO as a writer you have a responsibility to establish a world and the confines of that world, and then write within the confines you set.

TWD writers make up the confines, episode by episode, to suit w/e they want to happen.... even if it means stepping on what they've established previously.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I love how last episode showed like 6 people being killed by her sneaking up on them with a zombie at the end of a stick.

The one thing zombies are not.... stealthy.... it would be making noise, trying to fight her as she pushed it towards the victim, and we've seen probably hundreds of instances of people grappling 1on1 with a zombie in front of them and managing to get a blade out and stick it in the brane, but not one of these survivors managed it.

I mean she is kind of a compelling villain, but TWD writers continually ruin their own show with wildly unrealistic stuff.... unrealistic WITHIN THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.

IMO as a writer you have a responsibility to establish a world and the confines of that world, and then write within the confines you set.

TWD writers make up the confines, episode by episode, to suit w/e they want to happen.... even if it means stepping on what they've established previously.

I have yet to finish the episode... tuned out when alicia and charlie rolled up on the burned out truck.

I got disgusted when I saw the haphazard, bullshit timeline they are trying to get us to swallow.

Apparently they want us to believe this woman and her hubby crashed in the initial exodus. Their car is clean. The roadside was freshly mown. Their clothes are freshly washed, and her socks are sparkling white. 3 cars go ripping up the road in fear...fleeing the mess. All those cars are clean, and more importantly, very quickly after this all started people began banding together with others.

... so this lady has been wandering around in the EXACT SAME OUTFIT for the duration of the apocalypse and doing what she does?!?!?

Beyond that, the rake she used to kill her first zombie pissed me off. What person fleeing an apocalypse would pack a rake? And do so in an open hatch? Seriously.. Leave a goddamn stick or rock on the side of the road for her to pick up and use instead of a magical rake that falls out at just the right time.
It was so outlandish when and where it fell, I seriously expected a tom and jerry step-on-the-rake gag.

The writing and plot devices in this show have become fucking abysmal. Virtually unwatchable.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trailer for the new season is out. Starts june 2.

I #called it on daniel- we didnt see him die, and sure enough he is back.
I am still thinking madison is alive.

There is another TWD fellow who shows up- and I am honestly looking forward to seeing what he is up to.

Looks like no 6 year jump here yet.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
soo- looks like there may have been a nuke dropped somewhere or a meltdown at power plant with the radiation signs.

Gonna watch this with renewed interest for John, the new convert from TWD, Strand and Daniel.