1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not good and the second half looks to be worse

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
About where they should be.

They'll make the playoffs and anything goes from there.

They're lucky they place in such an underwhelming division, though.

magawice

Never fish another mans pond!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  2. Chicago White Sox
  3. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Nashville Predators
Will be rooting, should they win round one in the playoffs.
Anyone holding their breath?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Hamels' first half was incredible...before the current extended losing spell, this forum was projecting what the Cubs starting rotation would be for the postseason. Someone mentioned that Hamels might be able to find a spot in the bullpen....easily the best "baseball thought" posited by this forum in 2019.

Its kind of incredible how Epstein's "luck" has done a 180. Everything he touched turned to gold the first couple years, other than the Heyward contract, but now its the opposite. I don't think the Kimbrel signing will change all that much, and I'm not sure if the Cubs have anything left to offer in a trade. All 3 OF spots and 2B are black holes in the lineup. Darvish has started the most games of anyone in the rotation. Its a small miracle that the Cubs are in 1st place.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
I know you guys have them.. let's hear 'em
Very streaky team. Interested to see if the rotation can be fully healthy in the 2nd half and what happens in the next 3 weeks before the deadline, also wondering if Morrow and Zobrist return

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
For many years when the Cardinals were the team to beat, they hung around .500 through the ASG and really turned it on the rest of the way. Let's see if the Cubs track similarly this season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mix bag.

Kintzler and Bryant are fighting for come back player.

Kimbrel is only going to get better and he has a decent core around him in Kintzler, Strop and Cishek. Much stronger than the first half.

Honestly I have good feels about the 2nd half. The first half had too much hole plugging going on with Strop and Morrow and Edwards. Then Zobrist. Russell drama which really was over played.

So too much distraction going on.

Good parts is Rizzo really has not gotten into a streak like last year and he is due. Bryant and Contreras are bigger factors.

Schwarber has been a disappoinment this year. Countered by Heyward's better season. Almora is coming down as a bust.

They need to tinker some for sure and getting a corner OF makes sense.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well, at least this will give us something to argue about over the next 5 days.

I just look at games that slipped away, or they took the hippie approach and gave up, or Joe made a pitching change (like yesterday) after Rosario threw 3 pitches and got two outs.

I hope at least one of Joe, Brach or Descalso is out before the Pirates series in Friday.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
About where they should be.

They'll make the playoffs and anything goes from there.

They're lucky they place in such an underwhelming division, though.
The Central may be the second best division in baseball. The Reds could compete with most second place teams in other divisions. AL East aside.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Schwarber is not doing as well as many hoped, but doing far better than most would admit.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Central may be the second best division in baseball. The Reds could compete with most second place teams in other divisions. AL East aside.

Lol okay

Then the Cubs lead the 2nd best division in baseball.....

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I think the Cubs have a shot to contend down the stretch.
I dont think anyone one team is going to stop the Yankees though. It is shaping up to be their year i think.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs have a shot to contend down the stretch.
I dont think anyone one team is going to stop the Yankees though. It is shaping up to be their year i think.

Dodgers IMO. They have been to the WS a few times in a row and this team is the best of them.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Schwarber is not doing as well as many hoped, but doing far better than most would admit.

98 wRC+ 17 lower than last year.

Heyward is at 110 which is 10 over last year. Those 2 are pretty much canceling each other out.

I'm not too concerned with the O here.

Schwarber: 115 -> 98 (-17)
Baez: 131-> 123 (-8)
Bryant: 125->148 (+23)
Rizzo: 125->135 (+10)
Contreras: 100->141(+41)
Heyward: 99->110 (+11)
Almora: 89->75 (-14)
Russell: 80->85 (+5)

over all +51 wRC+ from last year.

But the biggest problem is they can't afford to start 3 guys under 100. So IMO Schwarber has solid trade weight. He is not making that much and has raw power.

Now that report that they were looking into David Peralta. I think he is on the DL but this makes a interesting trade scenario.

It seems that the Backs are looking to get younger. So looking them over I'm guessing that they would love to move Greinke. He is locked in at 35mil til 2021.

So I was thinking why not Greinke and Peralta. Now the what for part.

Davis will be on A3 and 10Mil would be a good guess for 2020. So ideally you want to move 2 starter types.

I was thinking Q and Chatwood. That off sets 23Mil of the 45mil that they will take on. Then send over Schwarber I'm guessing he will make 4 mil. If Azl sends cash then they get 2 high end prospects. if not I would say 1 20-30 type.

That way the Cubs get a legit ace type. They have the option of giving a deal to Hamels as a legit #2 and Hendricks becomes the 3. Lester and Darvish become solid back of the rotation.

D-Backs may do this just to get Zach off the books. Cubs need a legit TOR and that rotation all of a sudden becomes one of the best in the league. If Azl sends over 10 mil it would be worth sending them Alzolay and Nico in return.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thoughts?
Enjoy your last year as the best baseball team in Chicago!