For all your offseason planning

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Hi Guys,

So overthecap.com updated a lot of their effective cap information for each team. Here's the Bears. It has you guys at $7,030,680. Now there are some contracts and items still there that will help:

Retirement

Kyle Long = +$8.1M

Thoughts - This is just another $8.1M that will be added to the cap, so you are sitting at ~$15.1M.

Potential cuts

Leonard Floyd = $13.22M ($0 dead cap space)
Charles Leno Jr. = $2.9M ($7.4M dead cap space)
Prince Amukamara = $8M ($1M dead cap space)
Trey Burton = $1.05M ($7.5M dead cap space)
Taylor Gabriel = $4.5M ($2M dead cap space)
Cordarrelle Patterson = $5.25M ($0.5M dead cap space)
Adam Shaheen = $1.27M ($0.6M dead cap space)

Thoughts - Teams rarely cut all their cap space creating contracts unless they are going through a larger regime change and starting new. Often they are committed to seeing a drafted player develop or the dead cap space associated makes it tough to get an adequate replacement. I've seen some offseason planning that gets people all excited about going after the largest FAs out there, but I want to be realistic. If your premise is based on getting an extra ~$25M+ from cutting 4+ players this is possible, but not plausible.

Let's focus on individual players. These are just my opinions. Let's not get bogged down in this area and I'll try to justify all the moves/non-moves.

GM's rarely want to admit a draft pick or signing was wrong, so I don't see Floyd getting cut or even extended. I'd add, what's the depth look like behind him? The way I see it is if he balls out than either extend him or get a comp pick when he leaves. Overall this is just Pace seeing through a draft pick that has flashed from time to time, which makes sense. Leno and Burton have too much dead cap space, so it's tough to move on from a player especially if the team already has limited cap space. Prince is the largest cap number remaining. I'm a little cautious to make this move because it leaves the team very thin at outside CB. Many are big on UDFA Kevin Toliver, but let's imagine if he regresses a bit (completely natural for a 2nd year corner as teams have some game day tape and gameplan accordingly) and if Fuller misses any time you have very little out there trying to covering WRs like Adams, Golladay, Jones Jr, Diggs and Thielen. There's also Gabriel, but for the amount you guys use 3 WR sets, that he's fairly explosive (4.27 40 time) and that he's had some bigger games. I don't think you can easily replace his production with the $4.5M in cap space you are creating. The most likely meaningful cut candidate IMHO is Patterson. He was on the field a lot, but his production is replaceable. Really liked him as a returner, but that's not really a role you can sink a lot of money into. Shaheen is a shrug for me. Sure he's a bust, but it's not like cutting him creates a bunch of cap space. He may be the best blocking TE you have, so for a small cap hit there's at least that.

IMHO Net savings is $5.25M. That brings you to ~$20.35M

Potential Extensions

Allen Robinson = $15M cap number, some of $13M of that can be recouped through extension.
Akiem Hicks = $11.8M cap number, some of $8.8M of that can be recouped through extension.

Thoughts - Here's where you guys can do the most. Extending Robinson is a must and the fact that you can create cap space in the process is a bonus. I'm thinking you guys can offer a Tyreek Hill type extension. The issue is Robinson's base salary is $10.9M, so you'll have less cap space you can create. Let's say you can create $5M in space from that move. Hicks is probably the best extension option. He's got 2 years left, but little in terms of guarantees. With him coming off an injury season he's probably more inclined to lock in guaranteed money. I'm thinking a 3 year extension (taking him to 35 years old). He probably will be cut in years 34 or 35, but it's a way of lowering his cap impact this season. I'm guessing another $5M can be created from that move.

IMHO net savings is $10M. That brings you to ~$30.35M.

Okay, so you'd have the 12th LEAST amount of cap space and that's making the assumption that none of the teams beneath you are going through the same moves to create cap space. I'd add you'll need ~$5M for the rookie class and will want probably another $5M just as a buffer, so when you look at FA dollars you are closer to $20M. Anyway, that's not great. It effectively removes you from any top QB talk (Brady, Brees, Rivers, etc...). Even if you trade for Cam he's got a base salary number of $18.6M, so that would be your only move of the offseason.

I fully understand this will burst some people's FA bubble. I'm all about trying to help you guys set accurate expectations. I've read a bunch of offseason plans that makes a few fast cuts and seems like you guys are high rollers or thinking you are one high priced QB away from that elusive championship. Really what I'd like is a more realistic starting ground that allows you to focus on more value focused FAs signings.

Maybe this will help, maybe not. Just my thoughts. To open the discussion up, if you only had ~$20M in cap space how would you spend it? Who would you extend and what FAs would be a good fit?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is going to be an understated free agency period.

You also cannot backload deals because of the CBA not being done. You can only have a 30% rise in cap hits between 20 and 21.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I laughed at this when you describe SheHeen:

He may be the best blocking TE you have

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'd be very surprised if they don't release Gabriel. I think there's a decent chance he doesn't play in an NFL game again.

I think there's a good chance they either release Prince or don't pay him all that $ next year, reworking to give him more guaranteed but less overall.

I think Floyd is there.

Tolliver will be in his third year in 2020.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
draft

Okuegbunam TE
Terrell CB
Bredeson G

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
It is going to be an understated free agency period.

You also cannot backload deals because of the CBA not being done. You can only have a 30% rise in cap hits between 20 and 21.

Ah forgot about the CBA issue. Good call.

And I think the difference between overthecap.com and sportrac.com is the 2018 rollover. The Bears have closer to 20Mil than 7Mil once the rollover is included. Also, important to note that with the no CBA for 2021, there isn't any rollover. So teams are going to have to use all their cap or lose it.

I have heard rumors that a CBA will be announced after the Superbowl though.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
draft

Okuegbunam TE
Terrell CB
Bredeson G
AJ is an interesting prospect. He’s got ideal size but watching him extensively this past season I can’t help but feel like I wouldn’t trust him at the next level. He got torched against LSU and he’s not very explosive with just okay ball skills.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
AJ is an interesting prospect. He’s got ideal size but watching him extensively this past season I can’t help but feel like I wouldn’t trust him at the next level. He got torched against LSU and he’s not very explosive with just okay ball skills.

Still talk of him going in first but game may have hurt his stock a bit.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Ah forgot about the CBA issue. Good call.

And I think the difference between overthecap.com and sportrac.com is the 2018 rollover. The Bears have closer to 20Mil than 7Mil once the rollover is included. Also, important to note that with the no CBA for 2021, there isn't any rollover. So teams are going to have to use all their cap or lose it.

I have heard rumors that a CBA will be announced after the Superbowl though.
Sportrac, which I'm starting to use more and more, does include the rollover, but also doesn't include Kyle Long. Overall the overthecap number after Long's retirement is ~$15.1 whereas Sportrac has it at $20.9M. The numbers are not that far off.

Regarding the CBA I'm real curious to see how that will play out. They sound like they are close to an agreement, but as part of the previous CBA there will be a capless 2021 with restrictions.

I'm watching what Howie Roseman is doing. He's pretty crafty with the cap. He's got a bunch of deals that have the last 2+ years of the extension not paying the player anything. It's all prorated signing bonus, so the player will be a FA. I'm sure he's trying to ensure he's using the full 30% allowance, but is being a bit more creative around it's structure.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
@Pegger you can state these facts all you want. The problem is allot of fans live in dream land. Good for you to attempt a reality check but it’s going to fall on deaf ears

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
To answer my question:

So according to my math we have around $20M to spend. Here's how I do that:

Resign Nick Kwiatkoski - 3 year deal that ideally has a cap hit of around $6M this year. (got $14M left)

Sign FA T/G H. Vaitai - Going to cost between $8-10M per season. Let's say $9M. (takes you to $5M remaining). BTW this is your big FA signing.

giphy.gif

Sign FA QB Nate Sudfeld - Probably going to cost you around $3.5M a season. There are a lot of QBs, so I'm hoping the market pushes his value down. This is pretty important for your team. If Mitch regresses or gets hurt in 2020 there is no backup. If you roll the die and spend a late draft pick on the spot it's very possible without Mitch your playoff chances are dead. Sudfeld has been in a similar offense with the Eagles and it's all a part of the Reid coaching tree. With Sudfeld he's 26 and wants an opportunity to start, so he'll be pushing Mitch and if he gets a start will work his butt off to make it stick.

What to do with the remaining $1.5M? - We'll it's actually a bit more than that. Remember only the top 51 contracts count towards the cap, so you can pile on a few vet minimum contracts or UFDAs that won't use all the $1.5M up. You need a safety to pair up with Jackson and another corner. Not even sure who will be that cheap. Unfortunately this is an exercise of getting the most bang for your little buck, so it's probably a name you won't really remember the following season.

Draft:

Pick 43 - Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama, Height: 6-1. Weight: 197. - Versatile safety that will grow with Eddie Jackson.

Pick 50 - Trey Adams, OT, Washington, Height: 6-7. Weight: 334. - Had a good season. Would have liked to put Wirfs or Wills, but I think they will be long gone. Either way, this appears to be a sweet spot for a tackle.

Pick 147 - Bradley Anae, DE, Utah, Height: 6-3. Weight: 265. - Ended the season on a tear. Could be a depth pass rusher right away, which is nice.

Pick 164 -Malik Harrison, ILB, Ohio State, Height: 6-3. Weight: 240. - I'm just plugging in names at this point. He's a LB who played for a big program. Had to earn his spot and did nicely this past year.

Pick 196 - Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue, Height: 6-5. Weight: 245.- He had 61 catches this past year, so there's that.

Pick 200 - Another guard/tackle? Maybe someone that walked out of a bush speaking very broken English?

Pick 234 -Richie Worship*, FB, Purdue, Height: 6-0. Weight: 260. - I like his name. To include some analysis here is the first write-up I found: "Worship played his first game on October 19th and had one carry for three yards against Iowa and didn't play after that."

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think your cap hits are high. Even if those are their average salaries, the cap hits will be lower due to bonuses and such. Also, that's the bare minimum space they'll have.

Oh and Brycen Hopkins is a top 60 player, he's not going in the 5th round unless he runs like a 4.9.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Oh and Brycen Hopkins is a top 60 player, he's not going in the 5th round unless he runs like a 4.9.
I agree with you...

He's going to run a 4.9...

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
you are an idiot

the Bears will have a FANTASTIC free agency, they will be able give top money to a edge rusher, TE, and Kareem Hunt. The Bears will also sign Teddy Bridgewater to a MASSIVE deal and trade for Nick Foles

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
To answer my question:

So according to my math we have around $20M to spend. Here's how I do that:

Resign Nick Kwiatkoski - 3 year deal that ideally has a cap hit of around $6M this year. (got $14M left)

Sign FA T/G H. Vaitai - Going to cost between $8-10M per season. Let's say $9M. (takes you to $5M remaining). BTW this is your big FA signing.

giphy.gif

Sign FA QB Nate Sudfeld - Probably going to cost you around $3.5M a season. There are a lot of QBs, so I'm hoping the market pushes his value down. This is pretty important for your team. If Mitch regresses or gets hurt in 2020 there is no backup. If you roll the die and spend a late draft pick on the spot it's very possible without Mitch your playoff chances are dead. Sudfeld has been in a similar offense with the Eagles and it's all a part of the Reid coaching tree. With Sudfeld he's 26 and wants an opportunity to start, so he'll be pushing Mitch and if he gets a start will work his butt off to make it stick.

What to do with the remaining $1.5M? - We'll it's actually a bit more than that. Remember only the top 51 contracts count towards the cap, so you can pile on a few vet minimum contracts or UFDAs that won't use all the $1.5M up. You need a safety to pair up with Jackson and another corner. Not even sure who will be that cheap. Unfortunately this is an exercise of getting the most bang for your little buck, so it's probably a name you won't really remember the following season.

Draft:

Pick 43 - Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama, Height: 6-1. Weight: 197. - Versatile safety that will grow with Eddie Jackson.

Pick 50 - Trey Adams, OT, Washington, Height: 6-7. Weight: 334. - Had a good season. Would have liked to put Wirfs or Wills, but I think they will be long gone. Either way, this appears to be a sweet spot for a tackle.

Pick 147 - Bradley Anae, DE, Utah, Height: 6-3. Weight: 265. - Ended the season on a tear. Could be a depth pass rusher right away, which is nice.

Pick 164 -Malik Harrison, ILB, Ohio State, Height: 6-3. Weight: 240. - I'm just plugging in names at this point. He's a LB who played for a big program. Had to earn his spot and did nicely this past year.

Pick 196 - Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue, Height: 6-5. Weight: 245.- He had 61 catches this past year, so there's that.

Pick 200 - Another guard/tackle? Maybe someone that walked out of a bush speaking very broken English?

Pick 234 -Richie Worship*, FB, Purdue, Height: 6-0. Weight: 260. - I like his name. To include some analysis here is the first write-up I found: "Worship played his first game on October 19th and had one carry for three yards against Iowa and didn't play after that."
Welp I guess we're rolling with basically the same team and hoping for the best.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Except thee beloved are signing the GOAT.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is where signing a bigger money backup QB becomes a problem.

The Bears probably have 1 8/season deal in their budget.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
This is where signing a bigger money backup QB becomes a problem.

No way does Pace sign a big money backup QB. Mitch is the starter. He will save money by replacing Chase with a cheaper option. QB position dollars goes down in 2020 not up. This year is either Pace's triumph on the beaches of Normandy or his Waterloo.