Fox wanted Watson. Mahomes was Pace's No 2 QB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am sure the McCaskeys will give Pace another year to fix the QB spot. They are not equipped to handle another GM search, they do not want to pay the money, Pace has done some good things for the facility, and they are an unsuccessful and patient ownership group.

But does anyone really have faith in Pace to fix the QB spot with limited draft picks and cap space? Does anyone see this team being a contender next year?

Giving Pace another year to try and pull off a QB Hail Mary is a waste of a season.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Is that all you're gonna keep saying? GM's get fired for making multiple colossal mistakes over years of time not one or two or three or...........

There are many that have made many mistakes but still kept their jobs. I promise you that Pace will not be losing his job for drafting M.Trubisky. They're not gonna fire him because some idiot "fans" say he should be fired on a message board...LOL

Name me a GM that has got a top 3 pick wrong and survived.

Then name me one that has got an extension based on-:

- one winning season in five years (maybe six after 2020)
- having one first round draft pick that he drafted on the roster after 6 years (assuming Roquan is still around: Floyd and Trubisky will be done)
- missing on his own Head Coach

If next season is as much of failure as this one has been, then those three criteria will not only be in play but will be likely scenarios.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He will keep his job because the McCaskeys are patient to a fault and they owe him a ton of money.

There are a lot of factors to keeping your job in the NFL that are not 100% based on merit.

The McCaskeys have also not been very successful NFL owners, so I am not sure holding them up as being next level NFL minds is very fair.

Thank you for your assumptions, and they are only assumptions, on why he'll keep his job. My assumption is he'll keep his job because he's shown enough to them that he can get this team right to keep his job. Now he'll need to go out and fix whatever isn't working this year. He'll get the chance to do that and at least finish his contract time with the Bears.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They are absolutely without a doubt much more football smart then you or anyone else on here without a doubt. Unless you think that if you watch games and spend all you spare time on a message board talking about the Bears makes you football smart? I'm thinking that's what you think...Hahaha.

Again, he did not say he was smarter than the McCaskeys. I am beginning to worry in your rush to make personnel attacks that you do not read.

He said the McCaskeys are not football smart. Based on their record as owners and some of the indefensible idiotic moves made since Halas died, I am not sure the facts can be disputed.

They are football experienced, not smart.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Goff in his last 14 regular season games has 17 TDs and 14 picks with 8 fumbles lost. He’s being paid like an elite QB and the team is 5-4.
They recently traded for one of the largest douchebags in football and failed to get him signed to an extension. He did promise not to hold out next season. I’m sure they can trust him since he recently faked an injury to force a trade out of Jacksonville.

They have less draft capital than any team in football and are set up for cap hell. How exactly is this better than what we have?

Better coach
Better QB, although he is not worth writing home about.

The draft picks and cap space are not as dissimilar to overcome the above 2 points.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Again, you continuing to attack the messengers and not the actual message. Because you’re argument for keeping him is weak.

Continue to lash out at everyone, but that doesn’t change that Pace blew his window and should be fired

But he shouldn't be fired. You and some other fans on a message board think he should be fired which means absolutely nothing to the people in charge. I almost would like him to get fired just so we can get another GM so you can see that the next GM will also make many many mistakes and then it will give you more material to come on CCS and keep the hating alive. :kermit:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thank you for your assumptions, and they are only assumptions, on why he'll keep his job. My assumption is he'll keep his job because he's shown enough to them that he can get this team right to keep his job. Now he'll need to go out and fix whatever isn't working this year. He'll get the chance to do that and at least finish his contract time with the Bears.

You are probably right. But that does not mean he deserves to.

We are not arguing what is going to happen, we are arguing what SHOULD happen.

Pace is a failure when it comes to the QB position and until the Bears have a good QB they will not be consistently competing for anything. Pace may finish his contract, but that does not mean the Bears will do anything in that time.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But he shouldn't be fired. You and some other fans on a message board think he should be fired which means absolutely nothing to the people in charge. I almost would like him to get fired just so we can get another GM so you can see that the next GM will also make many many mistakes and then it will give you more material to come on CCS and keep the hating alive. :kermit:

Did anyone here mention that it would matter to the people in charge? The people in charge have much different motivations and responsibilities than us.

Why shouldn't he be fired?

You keep throwing out this nebulous "He has done more good than bad", but what are you referring to?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I am not the topic of conversation. I have admitted that I should not be the GM of the Bears and that my amateur scouting is not on par with NFL levels.

None of that changes the facts about Ryan Pace.

The McCaskey's keeping him doesn't change the facts about Ryan Pace.

The only thing that changes the facts about Ryan Pace is if he finds a QB and wins games, makes the playoffs, and competes for Super Bowls.

At this moment he is a 1 and done playoff GM, with a bust QB and a struggling HC. FACTS.

Well there's a hell of a lot more to being a GM then just being good with the personnel that you wouldn't have any idea how to do. You do know that a GM's job is a yearly job right. They don't get 6 months off like players do.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Pace has been

-average in the draft
-average in free agency
-bad hire for first coach
-not sure about the 2nd coach
-blew the biggest pick in franchise history [Mitch] and traded up to do it
-Mack trade is an obvious positive

When you add that all up I do not see a GM worth keeping.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well there's a hell of a lot more to being a GM then just being good with the personnel that you wouldn't have any idea how to do. You do know that a GM's job is a yearly job right. They don't get 6 months off like players do.

It is a results business and while other things are on his plate he is judged by the results.

His work on the facility is secondary to a winning product on the field.

His primary responsibilities are hiring a coach and talent acquisition, right now neither of those are leading to a winning product on the field.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Better coach
Better QB, although he is not worth writing home about.

The draft picks and cap space are not as dissimilar to overcome the above 2 points.

Better coach? Maybe... He was embarrassed on the biggest stage in football. This year the league has caught up to him because he does not have an elite level running back to run his play action scheme. Sound familiar?

Better QB? I guess but he’s as dumb as a rock and completely useless under pressure. This guy didn’t even know what direction that the sun rises from every morning. Guess what? He’s regressing at meteoric speed and he’s being paid like a super star.

The draft capitol and cap issues are huge because they have at least as many holes to fill on that team.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is not personal. I do not think I can do a better job. There is no guarantee that the next guy will be better or fix the QB spot.

But it has been 5 years and Pace has not built a team that can sustain success. His roster still has critical weaknesses on it that has made them a non-competitive team in year 5.

That isn't acceptable.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
They are absolutely without a doubt much more football smart then you or anyone else on here without a doubt. Unless you think that if you watch games and spend all you spare time on a message board talking about the Bears makes you football smart? I'm thinking that's what you think...Hahaha.

He has literally said that 5 or 6 times on this thread alone. You are coming across as unhinged.

I am also not as smart as Pace. I have spent three hours of my entire life in the U.S. when my family was sequestered in the LAX transit lounge during our flight to NZ. I have watched maybe four College football games on TV in my life, none of them from start to finish. I have watched one NFL game ever, in London.

And yet, even as a complete ignoramus, I knew that Watson was the pick. A pick that I got less wrong than Pace.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Better coach? Maybe... He was embarrassed on the biggest stage in football. This year the league has caught up to him because he does not have an elite level running back to run his play action scheme. Sound familiar?

Better QB? I guess but he’s as dumb as a rock and completely useless under pressure. This guy didn’t even know what direction that the sun rises from every morning. Guess what? He’s regressing at meteoric speed and he’s being paid like a super star.

The draft capitol and cap issues are huge because they have at least as many holes to fill on that team.

They have both been far more successful than our crew.

There isn't anyone here who would not drive Nagy to the airport to ship him off for McVay. Agreed Goff is mediocre, but he is miles better and more productive than MItch.

The one advantage the Bears have is that Mitch was such a bad pick that they will not fall into the trap of paying mediocrity, I hope.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Name me a GM that has got a top 3 pick wrong and survived.

Then name me one that has got an extension based on-:

- one winning season in five years (maybe six after 2020)
- having one first round draft pick that he drafted on the roster after 6 years (assuming Roquan is still around: Floyd and Trubisky will be done)
- missing on his own Head Coach

If next season is as much of failure as this one has been, then those three criteria will not only be in play but will be likely scenarios.

Hold on a second so i can make sure i'm getting this right. You're saying i can't find any GM that drafted a player top 3 and didn't get fired the next season or are you saying at some point that GM did get fired whether it was 1-2-3-4-5 years after that pick? I mean it would be kinda silly to say that at some point in multiple years after that bad top 3 pick he was fired but how will you prove that he got fired ONLY because of that bad top 3 pick and not many many mistakes? It sounds like you're saying Pace could get fired if we have a couple more bad years which would not mean it was cause of just the Trubisky pick so please make sense of what you're trying to say?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am just not sure about the logic of relying on a guy who has failed twice to address the QB position to all of a sudden figure it out and fix it?

Fool me once [Glennon] shame on you.
Fool me twice [Mitch] shame on me.

There is no third time in the saying because who keeps going back to that same person.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hold on a second so i can make sure i'm getting this right. You're saying i can't find any GM that drafted a player top 3 and didn't get fired the next season or are you saying at some point that GM did get fired whether it was 1-2-3-4-5 years after that pick? I mean it would be kinda silly to say that at some point in multiple years after that bad top 3 pick he was fired but how will you prove that he got fired ONLY because of that bad top 3 pick and not many many mistakes? It sounds like you're saying Pace could get fired if we have a couple more bad years which would not mean it was cause of just the Trubisky pick so please make sense of what you're trying to say?

No you can find them for sure.

But this is not year 1. This is year 3 of Mitch.

Pace is not getting fired only because of Mitch. Mitch is the biggest ant stinkiest turd, but he is also getting fired for White, Grasu, Shaheen, Bullard, Glennon, Rolle, McPhee, Demps, Sims, Burton, Fox, and all of the other missed evaluations and wasted picks,

This is not a "Your fired because Mitch sucks"

This is a "Your fired because you have been pretty average, Mitch sucks, and you have provided mediocre results."

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Again, he did not say he was smarter than the McCaskeys. I am beginning to worry in your rush to make personnel attacks that you do not read.

He said the McCaskeys are not football smart. Based on their record as owners and some of the indefensible idiotic moves made since Halas died, I am not sure the facts can be disputed.

They are football experienced, not smart.

Well you're right about one thing for sure and that's that sometimes i only read like the first line or just a couple of certain posters posts because i know i can guess what the rest will say or i just don't really read either all of or any of certain posters posts. Like i didn't read some long post you made like a page back that was a reply to one of my posts. I can't spend as much time as many of you do on here cause i can't handle that much negativity. I'll come on here and go crazy for like 20/30 minutes (like i'm doing now) going back and forth with some of the morons but then i'll stay away from here for a while. I can't do it like some of you with all the negativity all day and night long.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Between 2011-2014 I count 9 bust 1st round QBs and 2 GMs that continued to work with their teams.

2015: Mariota and Winston we will see, but right now those guys have maintained their jobs.

9-4 GMs that were fired within 3-4 years of missing on a 1st round QB. Now that is not saying the QB was the only reason, but busting on a 1st round QB is a good way to lose games and get fired.