Free Agent QB Discussion

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ryan Tannehill has thrown for like 150 yards combined in 2 games.
He is an exception to the rule. He also tore it up regular season, but let's cherry pick a few games and just think that the Bears can replicate that.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
There is a good chance it isn't. I have been telling everyone that I am interested to see this team with 2 better OL and one more pass rusher. That's 3 guys. You can do that in an offseason.

Look at the Titans. 9-7. 1 game away from the superbowl.

first of all the titans have an absolute stud in henry, noone like him in the nfl. second they have a brilliant play caller who mixes it up regardless of who they play and doesnt let up... nagy i'm not sold on him with his playcalling, could helfrich influenced a lot of it? maybe but i'm not sold on his ability to call a quality game consistently.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
did helfrich influence it in 2018 too?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He’s no longer under contract with the Rams?

I think you might be on to something.

ive seen Pace make this signing a dozen times now in free agency. Sign someone cheap and experienced just so he can mark off the roster hole as filled. Doesn’t matter if the guy is any good.... then he’s free to draft BPA in the draft.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears trade for Nick Foles they would be saving the Jaguars 16 million in guaranteed salaries and bonuses.

The price for the Browns to absorb Osweilers 18 million was a 2nd. I would be willing to take Foles off their books for a 3rd because we actually need the QB.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If the Bears trade for Nick Foles they would be saving the Jaguars 16 million in guaranteed salaries and bonuses.

The price for the Browns to absorb Osweilers 18 million was a 2nd. I would be willing to take Foles off their books for a 3rd because we actually need the QB.

aren't the Bears then on the hook for his 20mill+ cap hit the next three years then? Foles ain’t worth that in my book. Not even close.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Like it or not trubisky is going to get another chance. The bears need a true back up QB not named chase daniel. The idea of taking on 15 million for a backup QB is just plain dumb.

If the bears sign a guy like Foles he is going to be back up for 8 weeks and at that point if he needs to start the season is already lost.

I don’t see why anyone would get excited over dalton or mariota either. They both sucked ass this season. Hell mariota was benched and his team immediately made improvements and are now looking at a potential super bowl because he isn’t the starter. Yet a bunch of you morons want to get excited for signing him.

The only logical move outside of signing a failed QB to cheap deal like Bortles did is to draft a QB like Eason or hurts in round 2.

I’d much rather see the bears draft a an in round 2 and have the QB bust than see the bears draft another turd of a TE in round 2.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He is an exception to the rule. He also tore it up regular season, but let's cherry pick a few games and just think that the Bears can replicate that.

In the context of the conversation, it's pretty clear I wasn't cherry picking anything. You said, Trubisky can't play well enough to compete in the playoffs, when a guy not playing that well in the playoffs is competing. Tannehill is an exception, the way Mitch was when he was mediocre and went 11-3 in 2018.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Like it or not trubisky is going to get another chance. The bears need a true back up QB not named chase daniel. The idea of taking on 15 million for a backup QB is just plain dumb.

If the bears sign a guy like Foles he is going to be back up for 8 weeks and at that point if he needs to start the season is already lost.

I don’t see why anyone would get excited over dalton or mariota either. They both sucked ass this season. Hell mariota was benched and his team immediately made improvements and are now looking at a potential super bowl because he isn’t the starter. Yet a bunch of you morons want to get excited for signing him.

The only logical move outside of signing a failed QB to cheap deal like Bortles did is to draft a QB like Eason or hurts in round 2.

I’d much rather see the bears draft a an in round 2 and have the QB bust than see the bears draft another turd of a TE in round 2.

its a crapshoot but you really can't say one way or another...tannehill was a bust for miami was he not? he comes to the titans to be "competition" for mariota, he continues to struggle and tannehill is reborn into a stud with the titans...Sadly one man's trash is another man's treasure. There are some players that can transcend scheme and others who need to fit a certain scheme to help them succeed...

I'm not saying dalton or mariota or foles are the answers but the potential is there more so with foles and mariota imo because those two are familiar with the spread/wco scheme that nagy likes to use and have success at nfl/college level. its no coincidence that foles played better under pederson and also to an extent chip kelly's scheme before he went crazy with power...mariota was in a pretty crappy situation, 4 OC's in 5 seasons is not going to help anybody...I'd like to see how mariota would thrive in nagy's spread/wco offense but like many have said when your represented by the same agent chances are slim unless mariota is determined to sign with the bears.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is a good chance it isn't. I have been telling everyone that I am interested to see this team with 2 better OL and one more pass rusher. That's 3 guys. You can do that in an offseason.

Look at the Titans. 9-7. 1 game away from the superbowl.

Yeah, I hear you, but we'd have to have everything go right. You and I know if they bring in 2 o-linemen, one of them probably isn't going to work out. A draftee could be a bust (countless examples of high draftees being a bust on the Bears o-line). And dumpster diving a vet that another team is letting walk...it's more likely to get Frank Omiyale than Roberto Garza. I mean, the former team is letting him walk for a reason.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Calling it now:

Blake Bortles.

why?

1. Cheap
2. Experienced
3. Fits the Tannehill model so many are pushing.
4. And most importantly..... why settle for Bortles 2.0 on your roster when you can sign the real McCoy?

search your hearts Bears fans. This idea is terrible.... so you know it’s got a chance.
Didn't AR leave the Jags to get away from BB? It would be a great way to alienate your best offensive player.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:

That's what I'm talking about. Anyone trying to downplay Foles' potential impact on our season next year is simply protecting Trubisky and is afraid he'll lose his job.

Nothing like putting your man crush ahead of the other 53 guys on the roster.

With Trubisky, making the playoffs is up in the air at best...probably not happening. I know Foles could average 24 ppg and put us in a position to win with our defense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's what I'm talking about. Anyone trying to downplay Foles' potential impact on our season next year is simply protecting Trubisky and is afraid he'll lose his job.

Nothing like putting your man crush ahead of the other 53 guys on the roster.

With Trubisky, making the playoffs is up in the air at best...probably not happening. I know Foles could average 24 ppg and put us in a position to win with our defense.

He would need a new RG and at least one better OT, his mobility would further expose the line.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The agent stuff is bullshit. An agents job is to find the best scenario for his player. At some point in a QB's career that can become "back-up QB" in a good situation is the best situation for you.

Sure there can be conflict of interest somewhere, but sometimes its the best fit for 2 different players for different reasons, and do you not think the Bears have had 2 players from the same agency or agent before? Get out of here with that.

In this particular case, maybe the duplicity conflicts at a point where agent and players think they are...but I think they would be a good tandem and the kind of player in Mariota Pace should be looking at to throw some more darts at the wall.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
The Bears need to sign a good backup QB that wont hurt Trubisky's feelings and won't compete for his job because Trubisky is the TRUE starter.

I want someone old, someone with decades of experience. I want a 38-40 year old.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Fact #1: Trubisky sucks
Fact #2: Every FA QB sucks, unless Sean Payton comes with Bridgewater
Fact #3: Nazor's offense already sounds pass happy terrible
The future looks rough

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don't think Biggs said that right. It's almost certainly on the agent to not want 2 clients that want long-term deals as starters on the same team. Only 1 can start, the other gets screwed. If Trubisky is the QB all year and plays well.....he gets a big payday, and Mariota is searching for a backup job again. If Trubisky is benched and Mariota plays well......Mariota gets paid and Trubisky is searching for backup money.
Or....Trubisky plays well but gets injured, then MM steps in and plays well. Both get big contracts the next off-season.