Gabe Carimi 'light years from where he was'

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204892/article/gabe-carimi-light-years-from-where-he-was-in-training?campaign=Twitter_atl

When Gabe Carimi opted to sit out organized team activities with the Chicago Bears last week, it was perceived by some as the offensive lineman waving the white flag in his battle to preserve his roster spot.

Not exactly. Carimi certainly has turned the heat up on himself by steering clear of Bears headquarters, but his intentions are good. The former first-round pick has been spending his days at the O-Line Performance Academy in Arizona, a clinic run by former Pro Bowl lineman LeCharles Bentley.

"Any time a player opts to make an investment in himself that is outside the scope of what the team expects, that's a gamble," said Bentley, according to The Chicago Tribune. "That's sometimes a risk that players have to be willing to take. Sometimes, when guys are in a situation like Gabe, maybe the player feels comfortable betting on himself.

"Now, where it gets a little sketchy, you can't go back and be OK. You can't go back and be good. You've got to go back and be damn good. That's where the pressure falls back onto the player and, to be quite frank, that is where it belongs. Let these guys stand up and man up for themselves. These are their careers. If Gabe Carimi is going to be labeled as a bust, let this man do it on his own terms."

Carimi has history with Bentley, who trained him in the months before the Bears used the 29th overall pick to secure his services at tackle in the 2011 NFL Draft. He bounced from right tackle to guard last season, and is not guaranteed a job on a Chicago offensive line that's been revamped through free agency and the draft.

"Gabe is, I think, exactly where he needs to be in terms of the mental state," Bentley said. "There are so many different layers to this thing. He is that point, 'I want to fight. I want to play and I want to show people that I can be a first-round talent that I was drafted as. I'm not going to leave my career as a bust.'

"He's hungry to prove people wrong and has taken time and work for him to get to this point mentally and physically. He is light years from where he was."

We'll find out if that's enough to give him a chance at a redemptive season at Soldier Field

Good to hear, I guess. Hope he proves it in Training Camp.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: BNB

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Go Jewie go. Do the damn thing. It would really suck if he did actually come back and looked good, only to get injured again.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Anybody know who else (within the NFL ranks) trains at Bentley's academy,if anyone?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Being hungry isn't enough to keep him from being pushed around as he has been.

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
So now I stead of sucking giant donkey balls he sucks giant donkey. I sure hope his gamble pays off. Pretty risky with a new coaching staff. LeCharles Bentley was bad ass back in the day.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I hope I am wrong about gabe carimi... but knee injuries are serious injuries for young guys in development... Hopefully his leg is back to full strength... I know you lose a lot of muscle all over your body from sitting around nursing an injury... and sometimes it isn't something you can just get back in a couple of months... especially if you are still healing...

I hope he comes back and can play at a high level like a first rounder should... am I still a skeptic... absolutely... but I hope for his sake he comes back and proves us all wrong... guy hasn't been a problem other than being injured... seems like a good person... definitely rooting for him...

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
It'd be great if he could come back and be a better-than-serviceable guard for us. Not sure it will happen this year though, with Long at RG and Slausen at LG

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is the original article that nfl.com is paraphrasing:

Carimi adviser: Bears lineman betting on himself

Ex-Pro Bowler Bentley says Carimi is taking calculated risk in staying away, working out on his own

LeCharles Bentley, the former Pro Bowl lineman, admits Gabe Carimi is taking a gamble as he works to get his career back on track with the Bears.

But Bentley, speaking from Scottsdale, Ariz., where he runs O-Line Performance Academy, is adamant Carimi is taking a worthwhile risk as he misses the team's fifth day of 10 voluntary organized team activities Tuesday at Halas Hall.

"Any time a player opts to make an investment in himself that is outside the scope of what the team expects, that's a gamble," said Bentley, a Pro Bowl performer for the Saints before a knee injury in 2006 with the Browns ended his career. "That's sometimes a risk that players have to be willing to take. Sometimes, when guys are in a situation like Gabe, maybe the player feels comfortable betting on himself.

"Now, where it gets a little sketchy, you can't go back and be OK. You can't go back and be good. You've got to go back and be damn good. That's where the pressure falls back onto the player and, to be quite frank, that is where it belongs. Let these guys stand up and man up for themselves. These are their careers. If Gabe Carimi is going to be labeled as a bust, let this man do it on his own terms."

Carimi trained with Bentley in 2011 before the Senior Bowl and before the Bears selected him 29th overall in the first round. They got back together in January after Carimi took one week off to get organized after a disappointing 2012 season in which he made 11 starts at right tackle and three at right guard. Carimi attended a voluntary minicamp last month and general manager Phil Emery told SiriusXM NFL Radio the player will be welcomed back with "open arms" when he returns.

Where Carimi fits on the roster for coach Marc Trestman and his staff remains unknown. He worked primarily with the second team at right guard in April, and Trestman said he views him primarily as a right guard. Carimi was not 100 percent last season after a December 2011 surgery to prevent his right kneecap from dislocating.

Carimi has reduced his work with Bentley from six days a week to five, but he's still the first man in the building with Bentley at 7 a.m.

"Gabe is, I think, exactly where he needs to be in terms of the mental state," Bentley said. "There are so many different layers to this thing. He is that that point, 'I want to fight. I want to play and I want to show people that I can be a first-round talent that I was drafted as. I'm not going to leave my career as a bust.' He's hungry to prove people wrong and has taken time and work for him to get to this point mentally and physically. He is light years from where he was."

The Bears want to push first-round draft pick Kyle Long at right guard and the right tackle battle is between J'Marcus Webb and Jonathan Scott. Reality is Carimi could be in a fight to make the roster, but the Bears want him to be around because his 2013 salary of $1,016,458 is fully guaranteed whether he is on the roster or not.

"Gabe can't go back to Chicago and be the player he was" before he was injured, Bentley said. "If he (does), he's failed and I've failed him, to be quite honest, and we've failed one another because as I tell Gabe, we're married. You have to go back and you have to be better than you've ever been in your life. Now, he's on that track. We'll see how it all plays out. As of today, he's hit every benchmark he's needed to hit in order for me to tell you that he is clearly on the track to becoming a better player from a physical standpoint and a mental standpoint.

"I honestly believe he is going to get a fair shot to showcase himself. It is a business and you never know how things are going to work out. At some point, Gabe is going to get an opportunity in the NFL to play for somebody and I believe somebody is going to get a good offensive lineman. I would love for it to be redemption in Chicago for him. But we all know how this thing goes. He's not going to quit."

bmbiggs@tribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs

Copyright © 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, its a relief at least to know that he isn't sulking down there and really is busting his ass to get back.

We'll see. But shit, imagine it works for him... Bears could actually have somewhat of a logjam on the OL.

Last edited:

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Show me light years of improvement Gabe, show me.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Well, its a relied at least to know that he isn't sulking down there and really is busting his ass to get back.

We'll see. But shit, imagine it works for him... Bears could actually have somewhat of a logjam on the OL.
I was never under the impression he was slacking or fucking off down in AZ. I'd imagine Bentley's academy is a world class place to learn and train. Glad to see he's hit all the benchmarks thus far. Hope it does translate. Kudos for posting the whole thing.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like he is tired of dealing with pampered crybabies to me...

. L.Bentley Offensive Line Performance isn’t a fat camp, the principles Le’Charles believes in and lives himself are a lifestyle, not a destination. If you are looking for a place to cater to your athletically hindering comforts, this isn’t the place for you. We are not built on misleading our clientele with outdated research or placating you just to keep you around as a cash cow, the revenue is nice but you reaching your potential is much more rewarding. Le’Charles wants you to be your best, you will represent the brand, you will represent the other focused and driven players within the fraternity, you will become the player you have always wanted to be, that is a fact.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best of luck Gabe! I hope you come back as a beast of a RT and prove the doubters wrong (including myself). It would be great to not have another 1st round OT bust. I thought he was a great pick in the first round and I hope he comes around. The Bears can use as many good OLmen as possible!

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
If Gabe can not only get his length strength back to what is was before the injury but also improve his technique AND upgrade the rest of his physique he will be the Bears starting RT. Webb and Scott will not beat out a vastly improved Carimi. Can you imagine Jay behind an oline of Bushrod, Slauson Garza Long and a healthy imorved Carimi. This oline has the potential to be strength of the team. If the oline does get as good as I hope it will Jay will have the best year of his career.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure they can help his terrible footing, but the academy says "cha Ching"!

mac bear

Liked Posts:
I was never under the impression he was slacking or fucking off down in AZ. I'd imagine Bentley's academy is a world class place to learn and train. Glad to see he's hit all the benchmarks thus far. Hope it does translate. Kudos for posting the whole thing.

Exactly what I'm thinking too. This actually has me much more on board. I particularly like the 'man up'ping about taking the bust thing to heart and to a head and coming back strong. I can only imagine how an injury can set you back mentally. Plus all the naysayers and doomandgloomers ready to dog down on him (or any -- it sure seems we love to hate on potential busts here)...

I wish him a lot of luck, and look forward to how it can only help our line. Bring up the intensity of the competition to protect Jay? Can't hurt. Can't hurt.

broughtupbears

Liked Posts:
Maybe he just needs more time on the juice. After he is clean he can return.