Gale Sayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
That's right but I'm actually optimistic about them. Those receivers are still young but they got a ton of playing time last year, they are only going to get better especially Knox and DA.

Look at the chemistry that Cutler and DA established at the end of last year vs. the Vikings.

And while he is learning another new system, theres no denying that Martz system has made marginal QB's, Kitna for example have their best seasons. Not to mention what he did with Warner and Bulger.

I have no doubt that as long as Cutler and Martz get along that with Cutler's talent that he will succeed this year.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Cutler is going to drop bombs over baghdad all season long.

Make it rain' style.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's right but I'm actually optimistic about them.
Ok....

but how would those things promise to reduse Cutlers TO's when he threw 18 picks with all of those things two seasons ago?

I think Bears fans forget that Rivers actually should have made the Pro Bowl over Cutler that season and while I really like Cutler and glad he is here I'm not going to go all revisionist history on the type of QB he was in Denver.

And while he is learning another new system, theres no denying that Martz system has made marginal QB's, Kitna for example have their best seasons. Not to mention what he did with Warner and Bulger.
K?

That doesn't exempt Cutler from learning the offense...which is one reason people give for him struggling last season...learning a new offense.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I don't understand how one can't learn Ron Turner's bumfuck of an offense. Tunnel screens, run plays in ridiculous situations, and chucks to Hester.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
Hey I'm the one who called him a t.o. machine, so I don't know what you're point is. All I'm saying is that I think he is going to be successful. And yeah he's most likely going to throw a lot of picks but so does Brett Farve and at least he won a Championship. If Cutler throws 1000000000000000000000000000000 INTS but we win the Super Bowl then I don't care.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
If he throws 10000000000000000000000 INT's....I would be upset. ;)

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't understand how one can't learn Ron Turner's bumfuck of an offense. Tunnel screens, run plays in ridiculous situations, and chucks to Hester.

I really don't think Cutler had any issues with learning the offense. Turner's stuff is just an offshoot of the WCO that Shanny ran and it's all taken from the Walsh book.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey I'm the one who called him a t.o. machine, so I don't know what you're point is. All I'm saying is that I think he is going to be successful. And yeah he's most likely going to throw a lot of picks but so does Brett Farve and at least he won a Championship. If Cutler throws 1000000000000000000000000000000 INTS but we win the Super Bowl then I don't care.

Looks up Brett Favre's numbers during his All Pro/Super Bowl seasons..................

Better yet, I'll save you the trouble:

1995: 4413 yds 38TD's 13 INT's
1996: 3899 yds 39TD's 13 INT's
1997: 3867 yds 35TD's 16 INT's

These Cutler/Favre "gunslingy" comparisons are absurd. Favre hasn't even been back to a Super Bowl since he went all gunslinger in the late 1990's.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
Thanks those numbers are crazy. Farve really let himself go after he won all that.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

The firestorm from the Brian Urlacher-Gale Sayers war of words was rekindled Thursday when Hall of Fame linebacker Dick Butkus jumped to the defense of his former teammate.

Urlacher had publicly chastised Sayers for questioning the potential of the 2010 Bears during a May 4 speaking engagement in Nebraska. Urlacher responded by saying: "Let me ask you a question: How many championships did Gale Sayers win? How many playoff games did he win when he played? None. None. None."

On Thursday, Butkus responded from his Southern California home, telling the Tribune: "It's a real reach to say: 'What did Gale do?' (Shoot), Urlacher wasn't even born yet, what does he know?

"I say things to other people, too, about the Bears. It's total frustration. You think (Sayers) is saying it because he hates the Bears? You get so tired of sitting there watching them."

Photo: Dick Butler on Brian Urlacher's criticism of Gale Sayers: "What does he know?" (Nuccio DiNuzzo/Tribune)

Butkus and Sayers were first-round draft picks of the Bears in 1965; the first duo to become Hall of Fame players for the same team from the opening round of the draft. Sayers still holds the NFL rookie record of 22 touchdowns in '65, including six TDs in one game.

Urlacher discredited the opinion of Sayers by pointing out that he played on the 1-13 team in 1969, even though Sayers gained over 1,000 yards in a 14-game season after undergoing major knee surgery the previous year.

"I think he is a little out of line by the way he is handling the whole thing and blaming the whole (1969) season on Gale," said Butkus of Urlacher. "That's uncalled for."

Because of knee injuries, Sayers played in only 68 games before becoming the youngest man to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame at the age of 34.

On Wednesday, Sayers told the Tribune: "I knew I couldn't play anymore, and I left the team. I saw that I couldn't run the ball anymore. Every time I fell on the AstroTurf, it hurt my knee. I told (former Bears coach) Abe Gibron during an exhibition game in St. Louis. I walked inside (at halftime) and said, 'It didn't work; I'm through.'

"I am quite sure people were talking about me...'He doesn't have it anymore.' And I knew I didn't have it anymore. So I gave it up. You have to prepare to quit, and I did that during my career. Hey, I gave it up and I didn't look back."

Urlacher also was upset that Sayers questioned the fact the star linebacker might have difficulty returning to his Pro Bowl level after a serious (wrist) injury kept him out most of last season.

"The truth of the matter is that I think Gale is absolutely right when you talk about a linebacker who has played nine years and he is coming back off an injury," Butkus said. "I would say that there should be some concern whether he can reach his ability again.

"I've gone through it. To go nine years and come out with knee injuries...you know your ability is going to be hampered a little bit. (Urlacher) is dead wrong right there. Maybe that's why he was trying to deflect that part of it by saying: 'Well, what does he know? He never won.'

"It's a little defensive move on his part. His pride got hurt," Butkus said.

Love it...

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
idk about yall

but Butkus and Sayers were friggin awesome and still are

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I like this point as well.

I find it funny that Sayers can't critique/criticize an organization that he was actually a part of yet it's ok for fans like WCulb to be a writer for a website and do the same thing even though he most likely doesn't even play flag football.

I respect Gale Sayers as a player/person, but this isn't the first time he's opened his big yap and offended current Bears.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
I don't think Urlacher should have said "what has Sayers won" he didn't need to play that card. Urlacher shouldn't worry about that.

But at the same time I think Bears fans are too quick to jump on Urlacher for some reason. This guy was the king in 2001, everyone had his jersey, fans loved him, the national media loved him. But now people are quick to bash him for every little thing he does, like being surly with the media.

I tend not to bash Uralacher, even though I think he was wrong for going at Sayers like that. Urlacher is one of the best Bears in franchise history. He was part of this franchise's revival after the pathetic Wanny-era of the 90s.

He was part of some great Bears teams and a Super Bowl appearance. I just some people (fans and media) are too quick to jump on the guy.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
This guy was the king in 2001

2001 was 9 years ago. He has since lost many steps, is oft injured and not nearly the coverage LB he was in 2001 and really, not one that will be successful in the Cover 2 given his age and declining abilities. And yeah, on top of all that he has been nothing but a gigantic dick to the media, so any and all criticism he gets is warranted.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
"When I am asked a question, I have to answer it,'' Sayers said ...

There's the whole problem, right there. It's May, and there isn't a whole lot of Bears news. So reporters keep asking Sayers for his opinion, knowing he is going to have something critical to say. They don't have any news, so they intentionally create it. I've been saying the same things Sayers has, but nobody quotes me in the Chicago Tribune! Sayers opinion carries no more weight than anyone else's, just because he played for the Bears 25 years ago.

Reporters need to stop creating news and just report it. Opinion columnists need to stop asking Sayers for his opinion and write their own opinions. That is what they get paid for.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
2001 was 9 years ago. He has since lost many steps, is oft injured and not nearly the coverage LB he was in 2001 and really, not one that will be successful in the Cover 2 given his age and declining abilities. And yeah, on top of all that he has been nothing but a gigantic dick to the media, so any and all criticism he gets is warranted.

I know 2001 was 9 years ago, that's not my point. Not saying he was the same player as he was in 2001, my point was now all the sudden he's a bum, etc.. I'm not gonna rip the guy for every little thing because he's not as good as he used to be.

He's been a gigantic dick to the media? My response is - who cares?

So basically when he's playing well it's okay to let things slide. But when he gets hurt, etc. then it's okay to rip him?

I'm not gonna do that. I appreciate what Urlacher has done and I'm not gonna piss all over the guy because he doesn't open his heart up to media folks. If he comes out this year and is terrible, then the Bears can go in another direction. I think he was wrong for going there with Sayers.

But again, my post wasn't really about his play on the field. More the type of reaction he gets from fans. Ripping Urlacher just seems like the fashionable thing to do now. I'm not sure why? There's a TON of other reasons the Bears haven't been to the playoffs in 3 years. As I'm sure you know.

Last edited:

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Theres a fine line between ripping your team and admitting that they have some questions and have to work on improving certain aspects of their game. Just earlier today Jim Miller was talking about the Bears for a good 15 minutes and stated that they had some questions but he also mentioned what they did have going for them. He's a big homer but still he looks at the positives and negatives.

But being a fan of the Bears, i understand the frustrating that Gale must be going through watching this team. I still have nightmares of the CIN, ARI games.

Status
Not open for further replies.