Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I like to grow a bunch of peppers and dehydrate them...then I throw them in the coffee grinder and make pepper. I put that on everything.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This year we are going Pepper Crazy!

Did well with the four ghosts last year and the two Jalapenoes as well as a habanero.

This year I am doubling Habanero, Jalapeno, and keeping the same four ghost peppers. I will also add a couple of other peppers that I picked up from a buddy. I am not sure what they are called, but both of them are pretty looking and stupidly hot.

Tomatoes I will prolly stay around six plants and I will plan my garden box a little better this year. Had some things that overgrew other things last year and thats just not cool bro.

I will also do the early radishes basically everywhere. One of the best and fastest growing veggies.

Will do lettuce again and am curios to see if anything comes up on its own. I think we may get a few stragglers from last year as some seeded items were mulched onto the box.

Do you dry hang your peppers off your gutter? Resitas?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I like to grow a bunch of peppers and dehydrate them...then I throw them in the coffee grinder and make pepper. I put that on everything.
Question about this. I strung and dried a bunch of ghost and habanero peppers.

Some turned a brown color. They don't look look the got mold or anything just a dark color as they dried.

Would you grind those or throw them away?

Also, do you use a separate grinder? I'm afraid of destroying my nice coffee grinder. Chile oil in coffee sounds like a bad start to the day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Question about this. I strung and dried a bunch of ghost and habanero peppers. Some turned a brown color. They don't look look the got mold or anything just a dark color as they dried. Would you grind those or throw them away? Also, do you use a separate grinder? I'm afraid of destroying my nice coffee grinder. Chile oil in coffee sounds like a bad start to the day. Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I've dried home grown cayenne's by threading a needle through near the stem and hanging 10 or 12 of them from the thread in the kitchen for a couple months. Then I just put them in a ziplock bag and smashed/pounded them down on the counter. Seeds and all. They came out as flakes just like the stuff in the shakers at pizza places. Stored them in a small spice container, great the add into chili.

Rainbow Rob

Liked Posts:
I hope y'all are out of the closet. Because I have never seen a straight man garden. They may think they're straight, but after they do a bit of digging (literally), they may find some things out. If anyone knows this, it's me. I met my ex-husband at a gardening convention. He had a wife and was planning on having 3 kids. He left her three months later for me.

Free yourselves. Trust me. It feels good.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope y'all are out of the closet. Because I have never seen a straight man garden. They may think they're straight, but after they do a bit of digging (literally), they may find some things out. If anyone knows this, it's me. I met my ex-husband at a gardening convention. He had a wife and was planning on having 3 kids. He left her three months later for me.

Free yourselves. Trust me. It feels good.

I liked slim cognito better.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
The garden plans are started. It's going to be a hot pepper kind of year!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Incredible quantity of rain this winter, had my first-ever crop-failure - cauliflower, cabbage, and broccolini all turned to mush from extreme lack of sunshine. Great year for butterheads and kale, and hopefully the garlic survived.

Tomato planting is right around the corner.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Incredible quantity of rain this winter, had my first-ever crop-failure - cauliflower, cabbage, and broccolini all turned to mush from extreme lack of sunshine. Great year for butterheads and kale, and hopefully the garlic survived.

Tomato planting is right around the corner.

damn, it must be nice to go year round...

It is too cold here in the winter for that chit. However, the hot hot summers make really good hot hot peppers.

Hopefully we do not get our ass kicked like last year. The heat came early and hard and the tomatoes definitely suffered from it.

What do you do with your produce @RacerX ?

RacerX

Liked Posts:
damn, it must be nice to go year round...

It is too cold here in the winter for that chit. However, the hot hot summers make really good hot hot peppers.

Hopefully we do not get our ass kicked like last year. The heat came early and hard and the tomatoes definitely suffered from it.

What do you do with your produce @RacerX ?

Burque - where do you live (not asking for a precise address)?

I am a big hot pepper guy as well, what do you grow and what do you do with them?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Burque - where do you live (not asking for a precise address)?

I am a big hot pepper guy as well, what do you grow and what do you do with them?

I live in Albuquerque.

So it gets hot here in the summer we usually have multiple weeks over 100 throughout the summer, but we also are over a mile high so we get cold in the winter (below freezing at night for several weeks at a time.)

I had been growing mainly tomatoes and various other non spicy garden veggies with maybe just a jalapeno or two for good measure but that all changed last year. I had some jalapenos, and habanero plants, but a buddy that was going to do a garden decided not to (he was working on his doctorate and didn't have time) he had purchased some ghost pepper plants. So I ended up doing golden ghosts, regular ghosts, jalapenos, and habaneros. The ghost peppers absolutely loved it here, late bloomers, but by the end of the season (even after freezing) they probably produced easily over 100 good sized peppers per plant.

I dried some to make into a powder, I cooked with some into foods, and I made some jars of hot sauce. I have actually learned a lot in that process and this year will be making more hot sauces but I am going to incorporate other garden veggies (Carrots and Butternut squash) as I recently went to the Firey Foods Show and got to taste what a lot of sauce makers are doing with their hot sauce. Gave me some good ideas for this fall.

The plan for this year (realize that I am working out of one 8x4 box and a bunch of 5 -7 gallon buckets) is to have:

2 - Ghosts
2 - Golden Ghosts
3 - Habanero
4 - Jalapeno
1 - Black Mamba (Acquired from a friend)
1 - Nameless purple hot pepper (also acquired from a friend and it will melt your face off)

I would also like to do a scorpion and a reaper, but I haven't been able to locate seeds as of yet.

All that will go with 4 - 6 Tomatoes
Lettuce
Carrots
Beans
Onions
Dill
basil
Squash
Radishes

And whatever else the wifey would like to plant.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Thanks, Burque - would be great to share some pepper and hot sauce info, I am a big fan.

But I don’t care much for habaneros or ghosts because I find they are too over-powering and they tend to compromise the flavors of the underlying foods.

The past couple summers I have loaded up on several types of jalapeños, Aji Amarillo, Aleppo, hatch, chipotle, guajillo, cascabels, and a couple others. This season will be mostly the same, plus a couple others - depending on availability.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Thanks, Burque - would be great to share some pepper and hot sauce info, I am a big fan.

But I don’t care much for habaneros or ghosts because I find they are too over-powering and they tend to compromise the flavors of the underlying foods.

The past couple summers I have loaded up on several types of jalapeños, Aji Amarillo, Aleppo, hatch, chipotle, guajillo, cascabels, and a couple others. This season will be mostly the same, plus a couple others - depending on availability.

I agree with you RacerX on the overpowering. I still need flavor, however on bland things like chicken, etc it's pretty nice to have.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I think the overpowering bit is about moderation.

I can blow you apart with heat for no reason, that just doesn't work for me. Even when I went to the firey food show I wouldn't touch anything with extracts in it and I wouldnt usually eat the hottest sauces that any company makes.

It is funny, the sauces we bought, most still had extremely hot peppers in them, they were just way down on the ingredients list. I think that you use peppers for heat AND flavor, but if you moderate the amounts going into any sauce you can still get the heat to the point where you want it and maintain flavor.

One of my favorites has scorpion peppers in it as the last ingredient. Another that I really enjoyed was habanero, but it was down on the list as well behind things like carrots and garlic. I really REALLY dislike sauces that are hot just to fuck you up, that isn't what I am in the pepper game for.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
When you build up your tolerances for capsaicin, then it's easier to enjoy the flavors of a really hot pepper without just the fuck-with-you-heat.

A good example is the dorset pepper. Depending on ripe color, it tastes like a whole blend of different fruits. IMO, nothing quite like it and in order to enjoy the pepper, you need to work up to it.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Well, I just obtained five packets of Stoopid hot peppers.

Carolina reaper
Scorpion
And three packs of whatever my buddy decided to buy for me! Wish me luck getting them germinated in time