Trinidad Scorpion
Golden Scorpion
and 7 bot

I am germinating today!

Wish me luck.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Still waiting (Impatiently) on seeds to pop.

Been a weird weekend though it cooled way down, warming back up today, hopefully will get some movement.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Put in the first tomato bed of the year, as usual I inter-planted a shit-ton of basil.

I have a broccoli explosion right now, got to give some away. Been roasting some every other night it seems (with peeled garlic, red chili flakes, and EVOO).

Pro tip: broccoli leaves are awesome in green smoothies, I actually prefer them over kale.

Last edited:

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Put in the first tomato bed of the year, as usual I inter-planted a shit-ton of basil.

I have a broccoli explosion right now, got to give some away. Been roasting some every other night it seems (with peeked garlic, red chili flakes, and EVOO).

Pro tip: broccoli leaves are awesome in green smoothies, I actually prefer them over kale.

We've been eating a lot of broccoli late, but only steaming it. Sometimes even microwave steaming. :confused:
Totally forgot about roasting it, thanks for the reminder. I'll try it next time we have it.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

I have a broccoli explosion right now, got to give some away. Been roasting some every other night it seems (with peeled garlic, red chili flakes, and EVOO).

Nice! I had some carrots and onions decide they wanted to come back to life.

So far we have golden ghost and scorpion pepper seedlings!

One other pepper that is really more pretty than functional. It puts out pretty little marble sized peppers and I had a couple extra slots in my seedling tray.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Some reapers have come up as well as some green chile and more ghosts red and golden.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
@RacerX @Tater you guys have any techniques for hardening?

I'm still a bit out. But I'll go to solo cups after they get a bit bigger and leave uncovered in doors for a few days, but then it's pretty much shaded then some sun then more sun then full sun right?

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
so jealous of your guys growing stuff already. Working on cleaning up the garden from last yr and going to double the size of it this yr, mostly because main plot has blight, no nightshade this yr in that area.

I know I have soil problems not healthy enough to combat blight, so working on trying to source some composted manure, going to get my soil tested and hopefully learn what amenities are needed to get my soil healthy to fight blight.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
well it looks like almost everything that I tried to start is coming up with the exception of some ghost peppers. I have a couple of those but not the 8 that I started.

Going to be a hot hot summer.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have another month before we can start. Wish it would stop raining.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I put some watermelon, pumpkin and gourds in the ground today.
I have a ton of seedlings in the garage awaiting transplant.

My neighbor, a guy who always has a tremendous garden, had a tragic hitch in his plans.
Every year he starts assloads of plants in his garage. He always winds up with enough produce to feed everyone around as well as can for winter.

This year, he stepped the operation up. He built a temporary greenhouse in the backyard about 75x60 feet.
Things were going along great...then we had that howling wind followed by the snow.
The wind wiped out his greenhouse and the snow decimated his seedlings.

Gonna spend the afternoon helping him rebuild and replant.

I owe the guy for sure. I have grapes along one of my fences and a couple huge mulberry trees. I dont do anything with them- I let him raid them. In turn, he makes jelly from both and always hooks me up.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Tomato bed #1 is already blowing up, getting an early start. Also, cabbage and broccolini are exploding - idk how much more roasted broccolini I can consume.

Going to lay down the normal summer garden over the next few weeks, with one new initiative: gonna try growing (legal) cannabis for the 1st time, I ordered 6 female clone seedlings. In CA we are allowed up to 6 plants per household, i’m planting a ridiculous amount in order to make several gallons of salve. I requested clones that are flush with CBD for that purpose.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gonna spend the afternoon helping him rebuild and replant.

I owe the guy for sure. I have grapes along one of my fences and a couple huge mulberry trees. I dont do anything with them- I let him raid them. In turn, he makes jelly from both and always hooks me up.

How good is the mulberry jelly? I know where some good mulberry trees are and could get a lot of them. Is there any other good use for them?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Tomato bed #1 is already blowing up, getting an early start. Also, cabbage and broccolini are exploding - idk how much more roasted broccolini I can consume.

Going to lay down the normal summer garden over the next few weeks, with one new initiative: gonna try growing (legal) cannabis for the 1st time, I ordered 6 female clone seedlings. In CA we are allowed up to 6 plants per household, i’m planting a ridiculous amount in order to make several gallons of salve. I requested clones that are flush with CBD for that purpose.

Dont you have to have those plants fenced in so they are out of sight/behind lock and key?

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Dont you have to have those plants fenced in so they are out of sight/behind lock and key?

Correct, and I will comply with that regulation.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Correct, and I will comply with that regulation.
Why not just grow it indoors?

Seems safer, more controlled, easier to lock, do hydro etc.

Just curious as everyone I know that grows outdoors seems to get larger yields of lesser quality than when they switch to indoor.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The stuff he makes is great- you could probably find a good recipe online.
I used it on pb&j, waffles, pancakes, dipped donuts in it, and even plopped some on top of strawberry shortcake.

I may try my hand making some this year.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Why not just grow it indoors?

Seems safer, more controlled, easier to lock, do hydro etc.

Just curious as everyone I know that grows outdoors seems to get larger yields of lesser quality than when they switch to indoor.

Good question. I don't have to lock anything, my yard is completely secure. And I can just interplant the cannabis in my garden area, no need to acquire or rig any hydro gear.

As far as quality, I am not trying for mega-THC - I truly seek the CBD for medical purposes. And sure, I will blaze some of the buds while I'm at it but that's a secondary benefit.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Transplanted a bunch of pepper plants today.

A green Chile
Three golden ghosts
Two red ghosts
two yellow scorpions
two red scorpions
one 7 pot
two red reapers
one yellow reaper
two black mamba
two Round Peppers (they make little round peppers but I dont know the name of the plant)

I am sure a few others I cannot remember off the top of my head.

We are onto Solo cups now where they will stay until they become actual outdoor plants. I am learning that peppers take forever to start rooting/stretching so I am going to start earlier next year so I am ready to go sooner. Basically would love to have these in the ground by mothers day but if I am being honest it will probably be the end of the month.

I did find it funny that the Green Chile plant is destroying everything else in terms of growth. It had a two inch root sticking out the bottom of the starter pod. I guess there is something to be said about native plants doing well in native environments.

Bought a seed mat, but never used it, because by the time it got here most everything was starting to pop already. May put my 7 pot starters on it as they have been the slowest to go and a few haven't popped yet.

Also, got a pack of ghost peppers at a food show and tried to pop 6 of them and not a one went. Either they were sterile in some way or cooked in some way (I guess smoked) so the seeds were worthless. Learned that lesson to just stick with my own seeds when I already possess them seeing as I have literally thousands of ghost and golden ghost seeds at my disposal currently. Oh well, lesson learned the remaining ghosts from that packet will be ground up and used in food.

The weather is still a bit shifty here. It got pretty damn cold and rainy last night. Not quite to freezing, but certainly a reminder that we are at a mile in elevation and that winter likes to give us a couple of final hits before we truly turn on the blaze.

Anyone have any good soil advice? I need to get a bunch of soil to fill my new pots/fabric bags and I am not looking forward to spending a chit ton of cash buying bagged soil. I was thinking about getting some fill dirt and then adding to it with worm and mushroom castings, a bit of peat moss, manure and maybe some moisture control soil. With the amount of dirt I need it just doesn't seem to make sense doing it all from the bags at the store.

Anyone have a successful experience using fill dirt or something you can get cheaply by the truckload?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Good question. I don't have to lock anything, my yard is completely secure. And I can just interplant the cannabis in my garden area, no need to acquire or rig any hydro gear.

As far as quality, I am not trying for mega-THC - I truly seek the CBD for medical purposes. And sure, I will blaze some of the buds while I'm at it but that's a secondary benefit.

That makes sense if your area is already secure and you obviously do well growing veggies there already. Much easier than trying to do an entire new setup. For your purpose it makes sense as well since you aren't in it for the ultra stony stuff, I am sure you can locate that multiple places around your area easily enough anyway.