Gardening

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's a lot of lights on it. I bet it does look really cool with the vines at night.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
With roma, I have struggled with blossom end rot in the past, there are some preventative measures you can take, look on Youtube, you will get some great advice.
I had the rot one year when I placed coffee grounds in the base of the plant. I'll check out Youtube on it. Thanks!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I bought my wife and I a small bonsai plant. First time buying something like that and was intrigued after seeing them at the Botanical Gardens.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I bought my wife and I a small bonsai plant. First time buying something like that and was intrigued after seeing them at the Botanical Gardens.

Do you know what kind of tree it is?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Anyone else dealing with this issue: Everything is popping off!

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Does anyone pinch early flowers? I've got jalapenos trying to pop a bunch of fruit already. Thinking about pinching so we get some more growth first rather that using resources on fruits... Anyone done this?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Does anyone pinch early flowers? I've got jalapenos trying to pop a bunch of fruit already. Thinking about pinching so we get some more growth first rather that using resources on fruits... Anyone done this?
I've not with Jalepenos but have with pumpkins.

The Jalepenos grow quite well in the Chicago area. I'll have some peppers here in a couple of weeks if not sooner and the plant will flourish to early October

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've not with Jalepenos but have with pumpkins.

The Jalepenos grow quite well in the Chicago area. I'll have some peppers here in a couple of weeks if not sooner and the plant will flourish to early October

They sure do. Cayenne too.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Never grew jalapenos, but will pinch out my tomato plants

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How is your garden doing? I't's been such a rainy spring ( northern Illinois) i'm wondering if you got off to a late start.
My tomato plants , started by seed in greenhouse, are about 16 - 20 inches tall. Green beans, peppers doing well also.
My sweet corn i'm hoping will be knee high by 4th July. 80 degree temps for the next week they are saying. My watermelon and pumpkins are looking good also. I had a few cantaloupe that did not come up , but everything else looks good.
How is your garden growing?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How is your garden doing? I't's been such a rainy spring ( northern Illinois) i'm wondering if you got off to a late start.
My tomato plants , started by seed in greenhouse, are about 16 - 20 inches tall. Green beans, peppers doing well also.
My sweet corn i'm hoping will be knee high by 4th July. 80 degree temps for the next week they are saying. My watermelon and pumpkins are looking good also. I had a few cantaloupe that did not come up , but everything else looks good.
Got started 7-10 days after Mother's day with small plants. They are all growing, though I think a neighborhood duck ate our brussel sprouts. Pepper plants the best followed by tomatoes/lettuce growing quite well. Cucumbers I think will be pretty solid as well.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got started 7-10 days after Mother's day with small plants. They are all growing, though I think a neighborhood duck ate our brussel sprouts. Pepper plants the best followed by tomatoes/lettuce growing quite well. Cucumbers I think will be pretty solid as well.
Back when i lived in northern Illinois i would always liked to have the garden going by Mothers day. Up here in Northen Wis, i actually started my corn, watermelon,cantaloupe and pumpkin may 14th. Yes i forgot to mention cucumbers doing well also, but not so much on the egg plant. We did get snow a week later but apparently no damage was done to the plants ( seeds ) i started in ground .
@brett05 , you have the neighborhood duck to worry about and i have the deer and moles and gophers to worry about .

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Back when i lived in northern Illinois i would always liked to have the garden going by Mothers day. Up here in Northen Wis, i actually started my corn, watermelon,cantaloupe and pumpkin may 14th. Yes i forgot to mention cucumbers doing well also, but not so much on the egg plant. We did get snow a week later but apparently no damage was done to the plants ( seeds ) i started in ground .
@brett05 , you have the neighborhood duck to worry about and i have the deer and moles and gophers to worry about .
At least you don't have donkeys killing goats @Urblock

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
We had a weird spring.

Planted on a warm day and then it immediately got come for a week then hot for a week then cold for a week. Stunted start to the season, but everything is coming along great now.

All the tomatoes are happy happy and so are the squash.

The peppers are coming along, jalapenos the best, except they are trying to produce fruit and I want them to get larger first.

All the hot hots are still in progress. First Chile's are looking the best so far, still have some other stuff I have keep shaded because they are too sensitive.

All in all it's a good garden this year.