Great thread on Trubisky's Big Weakness and his Best Strength

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
There was a twitter thread of someone breaking down Trubisky's biggest problem he needs to work on for the season and his biggest assets.

Warning: it is pretty long and since it's on twitter, it's a bit weird to try and post all of it, so if you want to actually see everything click link. Otherwise, summary below.

TL: DR version is that Trubisky's RZ accuracy and reads are really problematic. A lot of his worst throws were to the end zone and a lot of near INTs that were dropped by defenders. Turns out that plays to the EZ where Trubisky holds the ball for more than 3 seconds usually leads to him staring at receivers and leading to defenders easily jumping these routes.

His 3rd down efficiency is fantastic though. He's consistently extending plays and have really good tape on some magnificent 3rd down throws, usually the ball is out of his hands quick in these situations. He's also improving in setting Ds up, like running early in the game to create space for receivers later on, etc.

Overall, there's stuff to be happy with and stuff you hope he improves on but generally it's a good start in the 1st year of an offense. Hopefully we all see some significant improvement in his 2nd year with Nagy.

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Red zone is tough on every QB, but he does need to let the game slow down a little more for him, and I think that will come with experience.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky’s play on 3rd downs last year is what has me believing he can be a really good QB in this league. I probably rewatch the games more than most, and what stands out to me is he consistently kept drives alive on 3rd and longs by either making tight window throws or using his legs to pick up the 1st down.
There is plenty of room for improvement on first and second down, but it’s encouraging that when it matters most, he steps up his game and keeps the chains moving. I am really looking forward to seeing how much he improves in year 2 of this system.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
He is not doing the cutler of constantly dumping the ball to the running back, but he needs to be more efficient with his receivers and making decisive throws. He is never going to be the best quarterback taken from his draft class, just the answer to who should have been the first qb taken, so he will always end up not good enough until he beats the Chiefs in the super bowl.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Trubisky did have a high rate of "almost interceptions" last year.
I know we all make fun of this "almost intercepted" thing, but in reality it means that the defender had a better play on the ball than the player he was targeting, in most cases. It is not a real statistic, but it is a real concern.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
A lot of his worst throws were to the end zone and a lot of near INTs that were dropped by defenders.

Fuck yes!!! CCS' favorite stat makes an appearance!

Last edited:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He is not doing the cutler of constantly dumping the ball to the running back, but he needs to be more efficient with his receivers and making decisive throws. He is never going to be the best quarterback taken from his draft class, just the answer to who should have been the first qb taken, so he will always end up not good enough until he beats the Chiefs in the super bowl.
Username checks out

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought this was the most important statement in that whole thread:

"First off, let's acknowledge one of Trubisky's legitimate weaknesses: He struggles reading off-ball defenders mid-play."

To me, everything else is a symptom stemming from his struggles after the snap when he doesn't get the D he expects.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:

"First off, let's acknowledge one of Trubisky's legitimate weaknesses: He struggles reading off-ball defenders mid-play."

To me, everything else is a symptom stemming from his struggles after the snap when he doesn't get the D he expects.
Which should all be greatly improved with the entire offense being in its 2nd season...

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

If his recognition doesn't improve, he's toast. Good thing Fedora said that he improved dramatically in that area in college. Hope it's the same case in the pro's

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Weakness- Right now he needs to relax and concentrate on hitting wide open wr's. I've seen him kill to many drives by missing wide open wr's.

Strength-wise, he needs to keep using his mobility to give wr's more time and to pick up 1st downs.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Of course quarterbacks that haven't seen a lot of NFL defenses are going to struggle at recognizing them. Why do you think that Goff always had McVay in his ear for the last two seasons? He has been helping him pre-snap to recognize defensive alignments and what he may be facing on any given snap. Trubisky came into the league having even less experience. It shouldn't be a surprise its one of the things he needs the most experience with.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I think that to Trubisky's credit, he doesn't completely shit/Cutler the bed when he doesn't get the D he expects. He is smart and athletic enough to avoid INTs and drive-killing sacks. But to your point, Trubisky's inability to hit his secondary reads kind of limits the explosiveness of the Bears offense...if the opposing D-coordinator picks the correct Tecmo Bowl play, then the play is no gain.

Trubisky was 'good enough' to be a winning QB on a team with an elite defense playing in a surprisingly poor division, but if the defense slips or the competition gets tougher, then Trubisky needs to step up his game.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yup and many of us expect him to but it doesn't count until it actually happens. We did beat some good teams last year so it's not just division related but his play was definitely more sporadic than you want from your franchise QB.