My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kris Bryant 0 strikes: .456 (10 HR)
Kris Byant 1 strike: .422 (8HR)
Kris Bryant 2 stries: .151 (8HR)

Basically, Kris has to be a better two strike hitter. It's one thing for a guy like say Adam Dunn to be a three outcome guy but Bryant has to much all field hitting ability plus too much speed for him to just keep swinging for the fences. His BABIP is quite high (.378) for a non-speedster but ending 62.5% of two strike AB (not PA) with a strike out is too much swing and miss for me with two strikes. But his bat has range to all parts of the zone so I feel this is something he's going to develop.

For sure about the swinging and missing but he ceratainly wasn't alone in that. These guys really need to work on situational hitting this spring. They can't keep stranding guys at third with less than two outs....there was just way to much of that this year.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
For sure about the swinging and missing but he ceratainly wasn't alone in that. These guys really need to work on situational hitting this spring. They can't keep stranding guys at third with less than two outs....there was just way to much of that this year.

Which is somewhat expected when you have 4 rookies in the lineup. We'll see what happens.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Neither. Greinke cannot beat the Mets and Price can't beat anybody int he playoffs.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Neither. Greinke cannot beat the Mets and Price can't beat anybody int he playoffs.

Who knows if the Mets will even make the playoffs next year. They have to re-sign the heart of their order -- both Murphy and Cespedes are FA. We have no idea what will happen with their SP's next year. Heck, half of them could get injured or fall off.

You never assemble a team specifically to beat one single team.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Who knows if the Mets will even make the playoffs next year. They have to re-sign the heart of their order -- both Murphy and Cespedes are FA. We have no idea what will happen with their SP's next year. Heck, half of them could get injured or fall off.

You never assemble a team specifically to beat one single team.

True dat! You assemble your best team.

An area of concentration next year (and I know Maddon knows this) is the ability to move the runners over. I liked how they were aggressive on the base paths, but the inability to score runners from third base with less than two outs, or move a runner from second to third with no outs was horrible.

Players need to be able to shorten the bat stroke to make contact or be able to take it the other way. Sacrificing an at bat does not always correlate to an out, and good teams know how to do this.

To me, their is nothing more frustrating than not taking advantage of a good situation, and putting pressure on the defense to have to make a play.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Kris Bryant 0 strikes: .456 (10 HR)
Kris Byant 1 strike: .422 (8HR)
Kris Bryant 2 stries: .151 (8HR)

Basically, Kris has to be a better two strike hitter. It's one thing for a guy like say Adam Dunn to be a three outcome guy but Bryant has to much all field hitting ability plus too much speed for him to just keep swinging for the fences. His BABIP is quite high (.378) for a non-speedster but ending 62.5% of two strike AB (not PA) with a strike out is too much swing and miss for me with two strikes. But his bat has range to all parts of the zone so I feel this is something he's going to develop.
This is essentially what I've been pointing out in other threads. Bryant's two strike numbers aren't much worse than the league average. He's simply too picky. Everyone celebrates him for his walk rate, but that comes with a steep price, IMHO, and that's too many K's in important situations. This is what happens with young, smart players. Kris will have the off-season to mentally refresh himself, likely have detailed discussions with his Dad, and change his mental approach. Not always, but certainly with runners on, I have a strong hunch, he will be much better next season by not being quite as fussy with those strikes and making his window just a bit bigger.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
This is essentially what I've been pointing out in other threads. Bryant's two strike numbers aren't much worse than the league average. He's simply too picky. Everyone celebrates him for his walk rate, but that comes with a steep price, IMHO, and that's too many K's in important situations. This is what happens with young, smart players. Kris will have the off-season to mentally refresh himself, likely have detailed discussions with his Dad, and change his mental approach. Not always, but certainly with runners on, I have a strong hunch, he will be much better next season by not being quite as fussy with those strikes and making his window just a bit bigger.

And in the simplest form, Kris needs to understand that good things will come from putting the bat on the ball.

He also needs to avoid months like July where he batted .168.

I know he has tremendous power, but I have seen him a lot of times try and take his natural swing and pull the ball. Pitchers are going to try and pitch him outside, so taking the ball to the right side occasionally, and hammering it back up the box or over the center fielders head won't hurt in his maturation of being a good, all around hitter.

And I should not just say him. The whole team needs to do this and they will be better for it in the long run.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
And in the simplest form, Kris needs to understand that good things will come from putting the bat on the ball.

He also needs to avoid months like July where he batted .168.

I know he has tremendous power, but I have seen him a lot of times try and take his natural swing and pull the ball. Pitchers are going to try and pitch him outside, so taking the ball to the right side occasionally, and hammering it back up the box or over the center fielders head won't hurt in his maturation of being a good, all around hitter.

And I should not just say him. The whole team needs to do this and they will be better for it in the long run.
Yep. I thought a lot of Castro's issues this season were trying to pull the ball too much instead of just putting the bat on the ball and going with the pitch, which he is quite capable of. These kids need to learn that Home Runs are accidents. The goal is to just hit the ball hard.

Postman

Liked Posts:
Greinke did beat the Mets in the playoffs - 2nd game. I'm a Mets fan so I watched every minute of it. He's a talented pitcher and a great competitor. With him and a more rested Arrieta as well as Lester, you'll have one of the best rotations in baseball.