Greinke or Price?

Who Should the Cubs Add?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Who would you rather see the Cubs sign this offseason?

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Doesn't Price have a low Era in the AL?

I know his playoff record isn't good but still would like him on the cubs.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Both. Zimmerman too.

Greinke
Price
Arrietta
Lester
Zimmerman

Solid rotation. Payroll still under $200 mill. Anything less, owners are being cheap asses.

jk. A guy can dream can't he?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Your poll options are a combination of being too few and too lame.

I don't want either of them and I certainly don't want to trade for pitching. You buy one of them and you're done....you trade for pitching, you make your opponent better and weaken your depth. The Cubs need more than one starter....signing two guys with lower $$ expectations is the way to go.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Your poll options are a combination of being too few and too lame.

I don't want either of them and I certainly don't want to trade for pitching. You buy one of them and you're done....you trade for pitching, you make your opponent better and weaken your depth. The Cubs need more than one starter....signing two guys with lower $$ expectations is the way to go.

Lol what?

You don't go in purposely making a trade that makes you worse, that's one of the most backwards statements I've ever heard. Of course a trade weakens depth, but it also creates depth by adding pieces. The whole point of a trade to trade out of a position of depth and create assets under a position of need.

Signing a guy for $200 million at age 32 with over 2000 career IP, or a 30 YO with about 1500 IP is much riskier than a trade. This team needs another TOR arm, not a Mike Leake type. Leake would be a solid 2nd SP added, but I'd almost rather give Hendricks another go than get Leake. Hammel is due $10 million next year, he will likely be on the team, and if he is the #5 starter, well the team could certainly do a lot worse.

I should have added more options yes, but this was more along the lines of would you rather add....

My bad

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol what?

You don't go in purposely making a trade that makes you worse, that's one of the most backwards statements I've ever heard. Of course a trade weakens depth, but it also creates depth by adding pieces. The whole point of a trade to trade out of a position of depth and create assets under a position of need.

Signing a guy for $200 million at age 32 with over 2000 career IP, or a 30 YO with about 1500 IP is much riskier than a trade. This team needs another TOR arm, not a Mike Leake type. Leake would be a solid 2nd SP added, but I'd almost rather give Hendricks another go than get Leake. Hammel is due $10 million next year, he will likely be on the team, and if he is the #5 starter, well the team could certainly do a lot worse.

Reading can be difficult sometimes....where exactly did I say trading to make you worse? I said trading will probably improve the opposition....but oh wait. My bad, you must be expecting another Arrieta-Strop for Feldman like deal where the Cubs get good players and give away crap. You might see that again......in Fantasyland.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Reading can be difficult sometimes....where exactly did I say trading to make you worse? I said trading will probably improve the opposition....but oh wait. My bad, you must be expecting another Arrieta-Strop for Feldman like deal where the Cubs get good players and give away crap. You might see that again......in Fantasyland.

You implied trading a position of strength for a position of weakness is futile as you lose depth, and your opponent automatically gets better. Who cares if the opponent also gets better? I didn't say you had to trade with the Cardinals. One of the best fits for the Cubs via trade is the Padres. Are you afraid of the Padres? Yeah it is much wiser to have a bat like Javier Baez on the bench,as opposed to trading him or someone else for pitching that can change the season.

Adding an arm like Mike Leake isn't going to change any narrative surrounding the Cubs. Please name two examples of lower $$ guys worth signing. And don't say Mike Leake, because Kyle Hendricks was better than him all season, and he's one of the guys needing to be pushed back in the rotation.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
David Price is CC Sabathia 2.0: he will be great at the start of the deal but by the end, you'll be begging that you don't have to pay him.

Grienke is a better arm and probably will cost significantly less in both AAV and years.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You implied trading a position of strength for a position of weakness is futile as you lose depth, and your opponent automatically gets better. Who cares if the opponent also gets better? I didn't say you had to trade with the Cardinals. One of the best fits for the Cubs via trade is the Padres. Are you afraid of the Padres? Yeah it is much wiser to have a bat like Javier Baez on the bench,as opposed to trading him or someone else for pitching that can change the season.

Adding an arm like Mike Leake isn't going to change any narrative surrounding the Cubs. Please name two examples of lower $$ guys worth signing. And don't say Mike Leake, because Kyle Hendricks was better than him all season, and he's one of the guys needing to be pushed back in the rotation.

I didn't "imply" anything. 99% of the time you have to give to get....you might get what you want but it will cost you a good player or two in return. Why? Why give away anything when you have a stacked FA market that has everything you need and it costs you only money....which BTW, the Cubs will have plenty of. Also, what do you think the chances are that the Cubs will play another season with little or no injuries? Two in a row where most everyone is healthy all year....it could easily play out like the Cardinal's injury blotter this year.

I have no idea why you keep bringing up Leake as I never once mentioned him. I was thinking Zimmerman, Yallardo or Cueto. With how Cueto did with KC, his price should drop significantly. The difference would be I would sign two of them and maybe take a look at what Happ wants as well.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Greinke would send a huge message to the league, Greinke and Arrieta in the same rotation.. my God

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
how about both?

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
While I'd love either Price or Grienke, I don't see them signing any of them. I think they'll trade for an arm and sign a mid-rotation arm. As I saw on Twitter, somebody suggested that they trade for Carlos Corrasco and sign John Lackey to a short-term deal. I'd totally do that. That would save them a lot of money.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well I'm doubt they even try to get either so I'm not really sure what's the point here. Topics/lines of thought like this seems like a fanbase building itself up for failure. There's been little to no indication from the team that they intend to drop the sort of money it would take to get either. I mean this is the team that got out bid last offseason for Shields who wasn't even $20 mil/season. In the 3 years with the team Theo/Jed have signed 2 big contracts. One was lester at 6 years $155 mil and the other was Jackson at I believe 4 years $52 mli. Neither was even the top FA at his position. The rest of their moves have been either via the draft or more accurately via trade.

Unless David Price and Greinke want to play CF on their off days they also kill your shot at having anyone decent there. The two best options there are probably re-signing Fowler or getting Span on a cheap rebuild value type contract and then hoping Almora/Alcantara/whomever is ready for 2017. My guess is Fowler gets something in the $20 mil/season range and Span could very well get something in the $15 mil range given the utter lack of CF options. After committed salary and arbitration the cubs will have something like $110 mil payroll. Even with extra revenue from the playoffs/tv ratings I'd be surprised if they up their $120 mil 2015 opening day pay roll more than $30 mil or so especially after all the money they've thrown into international FAs of which there are still several decent cubans they could sign.

I suppose if people want to dream I shouldn't piss on their dreams but as I said, I think you're in for a disappointment if you're expecting this to actually happen. And for all we know the dodgers might just sign both. They like throwing away money so what's to stop them?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Sign one, trade for another and neither Price or Greinke figure in. I'd be ok with One of Samardzija, Doug Fister or maybe Scott Kazmir and then trade for Tyson Ross, Carlos Carrasco or one of the young Tampa pitchers. I think there's going to be a lot more movement than people think.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
There has to be 1 pitcher in the Cubs farm system.

No?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sign one, trade for another and neither Price or Greinke figure in. I'd be ok with One of Samardzija, Doug Fister or maybe Scott Kazmir and then trade for Tyson Ross, Carlos Carrasco or one of the young Tampa pitchers. I think there's going to be a lot more movement than people think.

I do not. They can't possibly be sold on Baez in either of the middle infield spots, so they'll probably hold on to Castro. Soler? So much untapped potential there that I just can't believe they'll let him go. Schwarber....man without a position? How can you trade away a bat like that? What's left? Dump some of the second line pitching along with minor league bodies? Not much coming back in that scenario. I think they are buying. I do agree with you that neither Price or Greinke are on their radar screen though.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

No Samardzija please. Too inconsistant.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hendricks is fine as a #5. Hammel is a liability.

On the question, not sure. If you take payroll out of the equation you would want Price.

My opinion has been stated. Trade for Harvey. He is cost controlled and his value is still low due to coming off of injury. Cubs could center a deal around Baez and another quality player to get him. Add to that Harvey has proven that he can be a big game pitcher. That is needed looking ahead. Not to mention Boras also is Arrieta/Bryant's agent, so dealing with Boras with many of his clients is not a bad thing at all.

I believe the real issue is Price has some miles on his arm right now and paying 200 mil could end up like another CC fiasco.

On Shark. If he would take 50 mil only. And as a 2nd arm added vs the center piece. He is not worth more than Garza got

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think there's going to be a lot more movement than people think.

I disagree with this but can you explain why you think this way. I'm honestly interested to hear why. My view is there's so much pitching on the FA market how do you create demand for your starter? There's not a ton of guys who will be FA in 2017. Off the top of my head I think Strausburg and Cashner are the two biggest names with no one else major. I think Gio Gonzo has a club option for that year. So, I can perhaps see someone like Strausburg getting moved.

Also with the new front office in Altanta I think it's in the realm of possible that Teheran gets moved if they just don't like him as much as the previous front office but I think that's highly unlikely. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other obvious GM changes that lead to pitching. Dumbrowski in Boston seems to be in acquire pitching mode more than sell it. Dipoto has Hernandez to possibly deal but can you really deal him with that contract and the fact you're so heavy into Cano as well? Billy Eppler took over for Dipoto and again not really seeing pitching moving there. David Stearns was hired in Milwalkee.... same. Scott Proefrock and Al Avila in Philly/Detroit... same.

I just have trouble seeing the motivation. Only other thing I can think of is just an area where you can't fill say SS so you are willing to give up a pitcher for a SS and sign a replacement but then again it seems like you're trading into low demand and probably get a pretty bad deal in return.