Hawks lock up the Cat

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the DeBrincat deal expires at the same time as the Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith contracts, giving the Hawks maximum flexibility and cap space to offer DeBrincat a monster long-term deal in the summer of 2023 if they so choose

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
the DeBrincat deal expires at the same time as the Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith contracts, giving the Hawks maximum flexibility and cap space to offer DeBrincat a monster long-term deal in the summer of 2023 if they so choose
....and....He'll be RFA at the end of it. I believe they might have to qualify him at 9M, but minutae.

Someone cue up the Nugent.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I gotta feel this further sends a message with team, friend, and linemate all making Strome long term or bridged as well if a repeat performance is given this year. Cat was in line, proved it twice, and Strome has looked even better this pre-season.

As a playmaker Strome might have surpassed Toews now, as a skater and stick handler, good vision, opens the ice...etc...but he is nowhere near as tough as Toews in any phase. They are a nice 1,2 compliment though.

Dach at center should eventually give Hawks the highest of caliber center depth...to think Strome-Cat could end up a third line billing.

Saad-Toews-Kane
Shalunov-Dach-Kubalik
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Jewels-Carp-Smith

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad to hear they locked him up for now.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Congrats Cat, well earned.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Good signing, well-timed and a fair deal.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good term; good AAV.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I gotta feel this further sends a message with team, friend, and linemate all making Strome long term or bridged as well if a repeat performance is given this year. Cat was in line, proved it twice, and Strome has looked even better this pre-season.

As a playmaker Strome might have surpassed Toews now, as a skater and stick handler, good vision, opens the ice...etc...but he is nowhere near as tough as Toews in any phase. They are a nice 1,2 compliment though.

Dach at center should eventually give Hawks the highest of caliber center depth...to think Strome-Cat could end up a third line billing.

Saad-Toews-Kane
Shalunov-Dach-Kubalik
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Jewels-Carp-Smith

I dont know about you sometimes, gotta be a 6 million dollar guy on your third line..

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Saad-Toews-Kane
Shalunov-Dach-Kubalik
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Jewels-Carp-Smith
My opinion of course, but why have Saad that high up? He hasn't been remotely Mini-Hossa since 2015--maybe Marcel Hossa. Hell, Caligula has better chemistry with Toews & Kane since he'll do the dirty work.
I dont know about you sometimes, gotta be a 6 million dollar guy on your third line..
You mean like Saad? :)

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My opinion of course, but why have Saad that high up? He hasn't been remotely Mini-Hossa since 2015--maybe Marcel Hossa. Hell, Caligula has better chemistry with Toews & Kane since he'll do the dirty work.

You mean like Saad? :)
he has looked good to me in pre-season, might give us 40-50 points again this year.
but the real reason is I never know what to do with him. Destined to hold a center back with Shaw on the other side of a very overpriced third line.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
he has looked good to me in pre-season, might give us 40-50 points again this year.
but the real reason is I never know what to do with him. Destined to hold a center back with Shaw on the other side of a very overpriced third line.
Gotcha. See, my biggest issue with Saad is that in this go-around he's been nowhere near the Mini-Hossa we thought he'd be...He's be okay on O (Good last year and very Meh. in 2018), but his D leaves a ton to be desired. The crux of why we got him back was that he had better D than Panarin...but it hasn't happened; at least hasn't happened to the point where he gives the 'hawks a 2nd D-competant FWD. In other words, He should be the type anchoring a line that can shut down the opposition. That hasn't happened.

Plus, he's not a bulldog-to-the-net type that Caligula/Buff/Brouwer/Bickell were, which opens up Toews/Kane's O. And, of course maybe, just maybe Nylander works out which would force Saad down the lineup.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gotcha. See, my biggest issue with Saad is that in this go-around he's been nowhere near the Mini-Hossa we thought he'd be...He's be okay on O (Good last year and very Meh. in 2018), but his D leaves a ton to be desired. The crux of why we got him back was that he had better D than Panarin...but it hasn't happened; at least hasn't happened to the point where he gives the 'hawks a 2nd D-competant FWD. In other words, He should be the type anchoring a line that can shut down the opposition. That hasn't happened.

Plus, he's not a bulldog-to-the-net type that Caligula/Buff/Brouwer/Bickell were, which opens up Toews/Kane's O. And, of course maybe, just maybe Nylander works out which would force Saad down the lineup.
I think we see him similarly. Perhaps the difference is that Saad can do it if we get the team on board. I actually saw a different Saad in pre-season so I think they reached him about some defensive needs. He appears to be back checking and fore checking again, keeping his stick more active in disruption. IDK...it looks like he is trying to defend more and together with Kubalik they are doing better at harassment up and down the ice.

Nylander continues to show off a useful skill set but I don't know if it can last and there are signs Toews-Kane are giving up production to make space for him, as they haven't exploded yet. Its not enough just to score a few points, Nylander has to solve Toews-Kane issues to be the right fit, so we will all continue to cross our fingers.

If Kubalik or Perlini can't solve the second line I think we are destined for a Cat-Strome-Kane laser show, supported by maybe Saad-Toews-Kubalik would be smart. Call it a second line.

Until they try to use Dach with this team I can't say. Maybe give the little boys Dach or give Nylander a night off.