Headed to the WSOP

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alright, I post a "Going to Vegas" thread roughly once a year. This year, an old buddy and I are headed out to the Rio for the WSOP. Going to be there during the Main Event but plan on playing some smaller buy-in tourneys and daily Sit N Gos. Plan on having a poker vacation. No wife, no kids. Just stacks of chips (hopefully) with maybe a bracelet win or two. Really excited to see the cash game action as well.

Any poker junkies out there? Anyone into that scene or have you stayed at the Rio before? Any tips, reccomendations, advice for good eats at that hotel or around in that area?

Might I see some of you fish out there?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I've never been to the Rio, I've played some poker, far from an expert, IIRC Ohio state has some knowledge on the subject.

I've had three different kinds of Vegas trips:

1. With friends, party time.
2. With the wife, dialed back party time.
3. With family/kid, completely different kind of trip, still fun, but different.

A trip report when you get back would be great. Have a wonderful safe trip.

If you get a chance check in on Fat Elvis at Harrah's Piano Bar, I'm worried about him.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I remember getting into it with Ohio State about my "beginner" levels, LOL. And copy that on Fat Elvis.

Mostly, as the years go by, it's just been the wifey and I. Now that our boys are older they are accompanying us more to visit family out there as well. I've been pushing for a boys weekend for a while and the Mrs. finally relented. We're super stoked!

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I'm not a card player and not exactly sure what wins in poker. However I was sponsoring a golf outing that had an elimination poker tornament so I had to play. When done I came in second place and had won $1200. Not sure how it happened as I was guessing on much of it

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Stay away from the RIO events like the plague....

Stick to Venetian events (they're held at the Sands Convention Center were they've set up a mini WSOP style section for just donkaments), Wynn events and Aria 240 nightlies.

For cash play mostly Wynn and Bellagio; if you don't have a good table, ask for a table change aggressively and quickly.

I've already made my trip and unfortunately it was mediocre, but I hope you have fun.

Also, check to see if there are any good events at Binion's or the Orleans, great value there.

If you got comped your room, the RIO is fine. If you're paying over 60 bucks a night, with the resort fee, you had better options.

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
Lotus on Siam is amazing if you’re into Thai. Make a reservation.

Reactions: DC

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

Stick to Venetian events (they're held at the Sands Convention Center were they've set up a mini WSOP style section for just donkaments), Wynn events and Aria 240 nightlies.

For cash play mostly Wynn and Bellagio; if you don't have a good table, ask for a table change aggressively and quickly.

I've already made my trip and unfortunately it was mediocre, but I hope you have fun.

Also, check to see if there are any good events at Binion's or the Orleans, great value there.

If you got comped your room, the RIO is fine. If you're paying over 60 bucks a night, with the resort fee, you had better options.

Agree with staying away from Rio and heading down to Wynn/Bellagio. I’ve played hold’em/craps at Vegas on prob about 50+occasions, but burnt out on that scene since the party scene lost its allure for me.

Regardless- good luck to you Deep!

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Lotus on Siam is amazing if you’re into Thai. Make a reservation.

Pretty damn good, I finally agree with Matt360 on something!

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks, fellas. I know the Rio isnt the nicest place but we just want to be close to all the tourney action. Copy Lotus.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:

Orleans is typically where i go with the wife to catch a movie and play omaha. No frills poker room, but boy is there some action!

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I used to live at the Rio because my host would comp everything. I was pretty much a member at Rio Secco golf course and they’d give me the same driver every trip taking purple limos everywhere we went. The noodle bar is $ for hangovers.

AussieBear

sounds fun.. double wrap.. super chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis going around.. play a 5-7 off suit for me..

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Good luck DeepChicago. My card playing days are over, so the WSOP will be one I do not cross off my bucket list. Stay within yourself and you'll be just fine.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lotus is fantastic. Their old/first place had some roof damage, I don't know if they are back open. Their new/second location is open but when we went a few weeks ago did not have their liquor license yet. So, that is a bring your own bottle until they do have their license. So, check before if you are going.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Alright, I post a "Going to Vegas" thread roughly once a year. This year, an old buddy and I are headed out to the Rio for the WSOP. Going to be there during the Main Event but plan on playing some smaller buy-in tourneys and daily Sit N Gos. Plan on having a poker vacation. No wife, no kids. Just stacks of chips (hopefully) with maybe a bracelet win or two. Really excited to see the cash game action as well.

Any poker junkies out there? Anyone into that scene or have you stayed at the Rio before? Any tips, reccomendations, advice for good eats at that hotel or around in that area?

Might I see some of you fish out there?

I will be out there 7-21 thru 7-28.

I got a good place to eat for a decent dollar that was a knockout... the deli at the mirage. had a reuben that was as large as my head and some Knish that put me in a food coma.

As far as bad... guy fieri's place in the Linq was about as blah as can be.
I want to try it one more time- the fries are awesome in theory, but I must have had a bad cook. They do waffle, steak cut, shoe string, curly, and krinkle cut all mixed together.
I am not sure if they tossed them all in to the fryer at once, but it sure tasted that way. Would have liked them if they were all cooked correctly.

If you dig latin, the Chica in the venetian is great- the yucatan halibut was kick ass and they have some pretty spicy cocktails.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
If I'm eating at the Venetian I have to go to Yardbird for the fried chicken and watermelon. Worth the trip. Copy that on the Mirage.

Ill be out the week of July 10thish. Four nights. Cant wait.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eat a burger at Holsteins in the Cosmopolitan hotel. You might want to call and make a reservation if you are on a tight schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Don't play live very much, but grinded some decent money off the online games until the plug was pulled on Americans. Hoping to see a return to online at the big sites again some day..

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If I'm eating at the Venetian I have to go to Yardbird for the fried chicken and watermelon. Worth the trip. Copy that on the Mirage.

Ill be out the week of July 10thish. Four nights. Cant wait.

I walk past that on my way to get coffee- is it really that good?
Gets a lot of buzz but I never gave it a second thought... that you couldnt do much more than the colonel.