Henri Jokiharju, a former 1st-round pick, to the Sabres for forward Alex Nylander

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
More importantly, and I know I keep going back to this, but you had the most valuable draft pick this year at number 3 because everyone knew who number one and two was and if you were going to take Dach then why would you not move down and trade for something good and use joker as more value for the trade and still get Dach at lower. Imagine going to a team and saying I will swap you the number three and joker for your first round and a player that's going to be good enough to fill a glaring hole for me.

you bet your prison asshole that you're getting a much better value than nylander here and you still get to keep dach or someone of just as high value

nice saying there.

This at least takes some frustration out of the d for me. We knew Joker was not going to play. We all know Gus will get the 6 slot because of his powerplay. I guess we should be thankful we dont have to watch them ruin Joker.

This Joker being a Q guy that is coming out though, I dont get it. He was shipped down when JC took over, is that the connection?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah but the question is what does that look like? And is it only worth it if Joker isn't good.

That's Nylander playing like a top 3 FWD while Joker goes on to mediocrity at best.

So, yes to your 2nd question.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
RE: "prison asshole"

I believe "incarcerated anus" is the correct scientific term.
...if I'm not mistaken...
...if my memory serves me...

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
More importantly, and I know I keep going back to this, but you had the most valuable draft pick this year at number 3 because everyone knew who number one and two was and if you were going to take Dach then why would you not move down and trade for something good and use joker as more value for the trade and still get Dach at lower. Imagine going to a team and saying I will swap you the number three and joker for your first round and a player that's going to be good enough to fill a glaring hole for me.

you bet your prison asshole that you're getting a much better value than nylander here and you still get to keep dach or someone of just as high value

I hear what you are saying loud and clear...and they did explore the drop to 10...but in the end decided Dach was too good to risk dropping.

I think when we see the team fortified by Toews/Strome/Dach for the next few years it will not be argued one way or the other...they did what they had to do and came away with a valuable piece for them.

In hindsight...sure I would think about Podz at 10...who might be the one guy in draft more physical than Dach, but I don't think Podz is much more than a physical specimen who is a guy that could Ogre it up with Reeves but makes Hayden and Baun look coordinated. His goals tend to involve him crashing into the net.

The part of your logic that fails is the dropping down and still coming away with a Dach level player. I don't think Zegras or the D-men will work out quite the same.

You could have gotten a scorer all the way to 15...with the little guy...but the Hawks already have Cat.

I am leaning on the side of the Hawks possibly walking away with the best player in the draft at #3. Kakko will give him a run for it, but we get the bigger man and the center position, and potential captain material.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not to rub salt in this one, but did anybody see this article about Nylander looking poor at prospect camp? (a place a 3 year vet drafted so high should stand out)

"Recently acquired forward Alex Nylander, meanwhile, disappointed in the scrimmage despite looking good earlier in the week.

Nylander looked a step behind the play defensively — his lack of speed and stamina were frequent criticisms during his tenure with the Sabres — and he seemed to be trying to do too much offensively, although he did produce a couple of good looks in the third period."

The other part of this title was "Bovqist Amazes"...

I think they Boqvist Amazes, Nylander underwhelms

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trading a 4D for a too slow out of shape bust doens't usually sound good, but I guess this is what happens when you put 8 4th D's in Stan's hands.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not to rub salt in this one, but did anybody see this article about Nylander looking poor at prospect camp? (a place a 3 year vet drafted so high should stand out)

"Recently acquired forward Alex Nylander, meanwhile, disappointed in the scrimmage despite looking good earlier in the week.

Nylander looked a step behind the play defensively — his lack of speed and stamina were frequent criticisms during his tenure with the Sabres — and he seemed to be trying to do too much offensively, although he did produce a couple of good looks in the third period."

The other part of this title was "Bovqist Amazes"...

I think they Boqvist Amazes, Nylander underwhelms

On the other hand, Nylander didn't have to be there but wanted to get on the ice asap
Boqvist is ready. Starting to think Dach makes it, but he could stand to bulk up a little

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the other hand, Nylander didn't have to be there but wanted to get on the ice asap
Boqvist is ready. Starting to think Dach makes it, but he could stand to bulk up a little

Yeah, Dach could but I don't think its the kind of bulking to be done in the weight room. Dude is just massive naturally, gregarious and aggressive alpha too.

That 20-50 lbs is coming. Come to think of it Dach going the way of Seabrook and getting too big for the current game might be the biggest threat to his career. Not from a fitness standpoint, just Dach is a guy I expect will be walking around at 220-240lbs if he never picked up a weight in his life and stayed lean.

It sounds to me like Boqvist and Mitchell will start in Rockford from listening to the club, and be worked in as the season progresses. They will seek to maximize the value of Murphy/Gus/Maata I think before making a move and testing the natural attrition of the season.

but with Dahlstrom and KK around...they easily have their 7-8 veterans to assess the team forwards for a minute. Gus has made strides and always given Hawks great effort, but from the looks of Boqvist his services will not be needed here much longer, especially if we can't move Seabrook.

Last edited:

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Dach could but I don't think its the kind of bulking to be done in the weight room. Dude is just massive naturally, gregarious and aggressive alpha too.

That 20-50 lbs is coming. Come to think of it Dach going the way of Seabrook and getting too big for the current game might be the biggest threat to his career. Not from a fitness standpoint, just Dach is a guy I expect will be walking around at 220-240lbs if he never picked up a weight in his life and stayed lean.

It sounds to me like Boqvist and Mitchell will start in Rockford from listening to the club, and be worked in as the season progresses. They will seek to maximize the value of Murphy/Gus/Maata I think before making a move and testing the natural attrition of the season.

but with Dahlstrom and KK around...they easily have their 7-8 veterans to assess the team forwards for a minute. Gus has made strides and always given Hawks great effort, but from the looks of Boqvist his services will not be needed here much longer, especially if we can't move Seabrook.

Mitchell is going back to Denver. Yeah Dach could roll at 225 pretty easily

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
to be fair the previous article reported good and bad moments from Nylander, with the final propsect scrimmage being the low light.

This article was more balanced and positive.

Back into camp battles

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Unless something changed, Mitchell said he was going back to college this upcoming season.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless something changed, Mitchell said he was going back to college this upcoming season.
yeah, going back to Denver to captain a national title shot. Was just watching prospect scrimmage and talk is he is NHL ready and that isn't set in stone, he can change his mind, however, given the Hawks current timeline I would doubt they try hard to talk him out of it.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yeah, going back to Denver to captain a national title shot. Was just watching prospect scrimmage and talk is he is NHL ready and that isn't set in stone, he can change his mind, however, given the Hawks current timeline I would doubt they try hard to talk him out of it.
Agreed, but there's also a train of thought that he should be upping his competition--like going to the A. I don't mind either way as long as he doesn't pull a Hayes.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed, but there's also a train of thought that he should be upping his competition--like going to the A. I don't mind either way as long as he doesn't pull a Hayes.

Yeah...but being on an elite team like North Dakota St or DU, Minnesota, Boston...

at least they are training with others going to the show.

Probably gets too far for a late call-up this season, but I expect he comes next season if he keeps to his stated word....his plan is to sign with the Hawks whenever he does come.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I just think I would have been happier hearing Joker for Smith and AA for Nylander, even though dollar wise, its what had to happen.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just think I would have been happier hearing Joker for Smith and AA for Nylander, even though dollar wise, its what had to happen.
fair enough, lets move-on from it.

I too think a draft pick should have been included but the scouting department was familiar with and high on Nylander. Team didn't have a great use for Joker.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
fair enough, lets move-on from it.

I too think a draft pick should have been included but the scouting department was familiar with and high on Nylander. Team didn't have a great use for Joker.
The scouting department was also high on Runblad.

We'll have to see where Nylander ends up and I'll give him a chance to do it on the NHL ice but the reports about his prospect camp don't give me a warm, fuzzy vibe.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The scouting department was also high on Runblad.

We'll have to see where Nylander ends up and I'll give him a chance to do it on the NHL ice but the reports about his prospect camp don't give me a warm, fuzzy vibe.

He might be a decent balance with the swifter Saad-Dach if he can finish...its his speed/attitude that are the issue? and fitness?

Or maybe they like his slap shot to try with Kane, but there were complaints about its accuracy last week.

With poor fitness its not surprising he disappeared with 4 vs 4's and 2.5 lines

Saarela on the other hand shined but was not mentioned as much with Dach/Bovker despite a couple of nice scrimmage goals. I'm not even sure which Saarela it was.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He might be a decent balance with the swifter Saad-Dach if he can finish...its his speed/attitude that are the issue? and fitness?

Or maybe they like his slap shot to try with Kane, but there were complaints about its accuracy last week.

With poor fitness its not surprising he disappeared with 4 vs 4's and 2.5 lines

Saarela on the other hand shined but was not mentioned as much with Dach/Bovker despite a couple of nice scrimmage goals. I'm not even sure which Saarela it was.
The major issues I've heard about him are his work ethic and possibly being an all tools/no toolbox type of guy like Morin, Skille, etc. I won't discount a change of scenery or a late bloomer possibility with him. We'll have to see though. He is a 'hawk and I hope he is closer to his assumed ceiling as opposed to his assumed floor. I'm just a little worried that like with Sikura, if he flounders that they'll keep him in an unsuitible slot far past his use-by date.

I'm 100% confident he'll get every chance to succeed (and I think every 'hawk fan hopes he does succeed). Why wouldn't he? He's a Stan kid and Stan would love to herald him as yet another example of a blind squirrel finding a nut his ability to find a scrap-heap player and turn them into something useful.