CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure where they were on the depth chart exactly, but Andy Greene and Mike Green each netted better returns than Gus, who wasn't a #6 d-man last year, when he had a career year.

And by the way, Guss logged the second most minutes of any Hawk defenseman behind Keith this year, as long as we're labeling him a "#6 defenseman." He logged more minutes than any other top-four D on the team other than Keith, lol

He also logged the most even-strength minutes on the team, even more than Keith. The fact that he was many years younger than both Green and Greene should have also factored in a better return.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?re...yed,gte,1&sort=evTimeOnIce&page=0&pageSize=50

And he was a horrid defender that would not even be in the league but for his alleged offensive skill.

I get that people don't like Stan Bowman, but let's be honest and not Photoshop our memories of Gustafsson.

Bowman fucked up by doing it a year too late. Be pissed about that.

Granada

Liked Posts:
And he was a horrid defender that would not even be in the league but for his alleged offensive skill.

I get that people don't like Stan Bowman, but let's be honest and not Photoshop our memories of Gustafsson.

Many horrid and ancient defenders have netted better returns, I've just given you multiple examples already. No one's photo-shopping anything, these are facts -- he led the entire team in even strength minutes this year. You act like it would have been an utter impossibility to get a 2nd for him -- that's crap. It certainly wasn't completely out of the realm of possibility, as you've been suggesting.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You're missing the point....could he have gotten more last year, normally you would think that. But this is Bowman, who I wouldn't trust to trade my nephews marble collection. Granada's point is valid....the Devils got a prospect and a 2nd round pick for Greene. Ok, you might say Greene is better and I'm sure he was at some point in time....but he's fucking 37 years old now and standing at the edge of the ledge. Yet he got more in return than a 27 yr old Gus. Bowman keeps getting taken and it's happening with great regularity.

Last edited:

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
I wonder what moves Bowman makes this offseason to get the HUGE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM Jonathan Toews and his TEN POINT FIVE MILLION CAP HIT GOING.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Toews, minus 7
Keith, minus 9
Cat, minus 12
Boqvist, minus 10

When these guys are on the ice the pucks are going in the net towards the opposite direction in droves. Boqvist gets a pass since this is his first year but Toews, Keith and Cat all log lots of minutes stationed in the negative column

Keith is on pace to have his lowest point total in his career but as a 36 year old who has been in the league 14 seasons, that is to be expected.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

Winners and losers of the NHL trade deadline
Loser: Chicago Blackhawks
The Blackhawks were poised to pick up big returns as a seller at the deadline. Instead, they picked up a second-round pick, a third-round pick, a backup goalie and a college defenseman whom our Chris Peters doesn't rank among the Golden Knights' top 10 prospects. If I'm a player on the Blackhawks, that doesn't make me feel great, especially since the two players traded were popular in the locker room.

Erik Gustafsson should have been traded this past summer, when his value was much higher. Meanwhile, Robin Lehner, a reigning Vezina finalist, kept Chicago in many games earlier this season when everything else was falling apart. Since the return on Lehner was so low, it raises the question of why he was even traded at all. Couldn't the Blackhawks have just kept him -- they still are technically in the playoff hunt -- which would have set them up better for re-signing him to an extension?

Granada

Liked Posts:

The Blackhawks were poised to pick up big returns as a seller at the deadline. Instead, they picked up a second-round pick, a third-round pick, a backup goalie and a college defenseman whom our Chris Peters doesn't rank among the Golden Knights' top 10 prospects. If I'm a player on the Blackhawks, that doesn't make me feel great, especially since the two players traded were popular in the locker room.

Erik Gustafsson should have been traded this past summer, when his value was much higher. Meanwhile, Robin Lehner, a reigning Vezina finalist, kept Chicago in many games earlier this season when everything else was falling apart. Since the return on Lehner was so low, it raises the question of why he was even traded at all. Couldn't the Blackhawks have just kept him -- they still are technically in the playoff hunt -- which would have set them up better for re-signing him to an extension?

I agree and disagree with this. Yes, the Hawks didn't receive big returns -- they're right in that respect -- but Bowman couldn't have just stood pat at the deadline and kept them. I would agree the Hawks were losers at the deadline overall though, and didn't do enough selling.

Friendly tip: always be mindful with BSPN when it comes to hockey. They're usually inaccurate and/or ill-informed, because they don't really care about it compared to the other Big 3 sports. Jesse Rogers was okay when he was working for them, but he does the Cubs now. And Greg Wysinski (one of the writers of this article) doesn't know his ass from his elbow when it comes to the sport.

Granada

Liked Posts:

You know what, I hate Bowman more than anyone, but I think Lehner is full of shit here. We all heard him say he wouldn't take a discount to stay here. Bowman is an imbecile, but I can't believe that he didn't have any conversations with Lehner's agent at least with regard to money.

If Lehner was willing to stay here short-term, his agent was probably asking for the moon per year -- that's how it works.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yep

dchawks59

Liked Posts:
Bowman "laid out his big picture plan" for the Blackhawks after another loss, this time St. Louis. What "big picture"? What he basically said is we don't have the right players, not enough good one's and we need more.... but, "I am unsure of how to get there, some of it is luck of the draw, some of it is development, some of it is trying to trade for or get free agents". Bottom line for fans, Bowman has no clue how to build a winning team- he is "hoping" that this works but his recent trades did nothing to do what he says was needed. The Blackhawk management team and leadership needs to fire this guy and bring in someone who actually has a plan that is executable.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Bowman is a fucking idiot....no question. But the goof who wrote this line makes Bowman look like a hockey genius.

"Meanwhile, Robin Lehner, a reigning Vezina finalist, kept Chicago in many games earlier this season when everything else was falling apart. Since the return on Lehner was so low, it raises the question of why he was even traded at all. Couldn't the Blackhawks have just kept him -- they still are technically in the playoff hunt "