How lucky were we!!!!!

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I tend to assume these types of trades/non-trades are far more prevalent than we ever think. I'd be shocked if any Cub sans Bryant and maybe Contreras by the nature of his jump in the minors were never thrown in trade proposals.

The funny thing is that trading Baez and others (depending on what) to get Fulmer wouldn't have been some terrible deal at the time for the Cubs but it really would have hurt them down the road.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Talk about stories resurfacing.....

This was originally written when they left him in Arizona, then he asked for the leave and went home to mourn.

Either way, that was what the cubs had, the last Hendry #1 pick, who had a foot out of the game at the beginning of 2015 or any long term vision of Javy..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-deadline-to-keep-michael-fulmer-report-says/

Wow! we tried to trade Baez and two other players for Michael Fulmer. That would have sucked and the Cubs would be up shits creek right now.
I get where you're coming from but had they actually traded Baez then it's difficult to say how things would have played out. For instance, I think it's fairly safe to assume that if they had traded Baez for Fulmer that they would no longer have traded for Quintana. So in this instance, you now are minus Baez and Quintana but plus Fulmer, Eloy and Cease. Think you can argue that Fulmer while definitely down this year probably represents at least similar current value to Q with more control. As such, I don't really think they then go out and deal Eloy/Cease for pitching. It's likely that similar moves in terms of Hamels Chatwood and Darvish are made.

Where this really gets interesting however is with the lack of Baez. For example, do they then try to make that pre-season trade for Machado that was speculated prior to 2018? With Cease and Eloy in pocket they would have had the ammo to make that move and without Baez around they would have had the need for a middle infield bat. There likely would have been some large monetary issues revolving around re-signing him but presumably had they gone down this course of action they would have found the money to re-sign him.

Overall would that be a "better" team? It's difficult to say. But even knowing how well Baez has played the past 2 years I think there's a logical case to be made that it wasn't a wrong way of thinking. The main issue I personally would have with it is that I've never been all that into Fulmer. I would argue that the difference between Q and Fulmer isn't much and that Baez vs what Cease/Eloy were at the time is a lot more. IMO you don't make a trade like that with Baez unless you're getting a top 10-15 type pitcher where as in my eyes Fulmer is more like Hendricks. When he's at his best he's really good but you're really not stacking him up against the elite stuff guys.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So I guess it's OK to discuss trading Baez.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except there is no way to tell how the moves would have worked. You may be right or it may have helped the cubbies. No way on GODS green earth can you prove it. Sounds good on paper though
I can prove a guy had Tommy John surgery and was not good after his rookie year. I can prove that Baez is the best player on the Cubs and this guy hasnt pitched in a year. So, what have you proven?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Addison Russell was our future MVP

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I can prove a guy had Tommy John surgery and was not good after his rookie year. I can prove that Baez is the best player on the Cubs and this guy hasnt pitched in a year. So, what have you proven?
And when you go to another team your production and chemistry “may” change. It might get better or worse or stay the same. The other teammates may be affected because they are losing fiends. Seriously, it’s fantasy but you will never be able to show if the team will get better or worse. If you could do that you would be an instant billionaire

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I think the argument is Baez vs Eloy/Cease.

Toss up right now. Cease proves to be anything well it changes.

But Baez for Fullmer alone is stupid.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pie was a bust. I remember when they compared him to Carlos Beltran

Castro was brought up way to young and his development wasnt complete. He had great eye to hand coordination, but would have been served so much better if they would have waited.

Corey Patterson is kind of a mystery. He had all the tools and when he put it all together. He got injured and was never the same. He didnt have a bad career, but man, he could have really been something.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Hey, you win some not trading Baez but if that means the Cubs are more protective of Torres and they do Schwarber for Miller instead, it means you’d lose Javy and Kyle but have Torres and most likely Soler.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey, you win some not trading Baez but if that means the Cubs are more protective of Torres and they do Schwarber for Miller instead, it means you’d lose Javy and Kyle but have Torres and most likely Soler.
The trade proposed was for 2017. We had already traded Torres. The only thing you could say is maybe they dont trade Jiminez and Cease because we wouldnt need Quintana. But,

The way I see it was Theo and them banked on Russell becoming what Baez is now maybe not with the power, but the all around game. They also probably believed that depth with Schwarber, still Theo golden boy, and Happ who I have read was a big favorite of the front office.

Baez was not their pick. He didnt have the philosophy at the plate that Theo and them have drafted since they got here. Baez biggest supporter has always been Joe. I dont think the FO has ever backed him like Joe has in his career.

In the end, its a bunch of what if's but if the Tigers had to do it again. They would be unloading Fulmer in a heartbeat for that package or to the Astros for Bregman.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Just like Felix Pie and Starlin Castro ???

I remember Harry Teinowitz on AM1000 talking up Felix Pie for two entire years...very strange since Pie was terrible right from the start. It was almost like Tiny was reading the postings in this forum before going on air.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember Harry Teinowitz on AM1000 talking up Felix Pie for two entire years...very strange since Pie was terrible right from the start. It was almost like Tiny was reading the postings in this forum before going on air.

Didn't Pie hit a HR in his debut? Or maybe that was Castro? Would look up but on mobile and lazy.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't Pie hit a HR in his debut? Or maybe that was Castro? Would look up but on mobile and lazy.
Na, Castro did and had like 6 RBI's in his debut.

Pie threw a runner out at home that was pretty cool in his debut to keep the Cubs in the game.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You never really know with trades. Baez might never have developed into the player he is now if he went someplace else. Fulmer might not have gotten hurt and could have turned into the next Maddox. I'm glad we kept Javy, he is a spark plug for this team and a big reason why we are in the mix this year.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Since you don't get anything out of being on this forum, there is only one reason why you are here.