How would you compare Trubisky last year to Cutler?

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Out of Cutler’s eight years with the team, how many seasons did Cutler have that you would say were better than Trubisky last year?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In a rare opportunity to use the hardship multiplier objectively and evenly, I would say that Cutler suffered far more from OL/weapons/coaching for most of his time, though he did have a much better back for his safety valve.

Stats aside, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015 was better QB play than 2018, on a week to week consistency basis.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never saw Cutler do what Trubisky did.

Trubisky, despite his mistakes, made better choices and improved more than Cutler did.

Cutlers had 4, 300 yard games once in his Chicago career. That was 5 years after he became a Bear. Trubisky did it his second.

I’ve seen more improvement in Trubisky’s second year than I ever saw with Cutler.

Statistically, Cutler’s Rate+ as a Bear was never as good as Trubisky’s was last year.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'll never give @PrideisBears the satisfaction of getting embroiled in a debate where I'm going to bat for Cutler, so I'm not getting deep into this one.

Agreed that Trubisky is the better option because he has already shown that he wants to and has gotten better, and is more likely to continue to improve than Cutler ever was.

Cutler had far more natural talent when it comes to throwing footballs though.

jive

Liked Posts:
In terms of QBR, I don't think Cutler ever had as high as Trubisky had in 2018. But in terms of yards and TDs, he's had a few where they were better than Trubisky. Of course, Cutler's best years statistically was when he had good WRs in Jeffery and Marshall instead of average to mediocre guys like Rashied Davis, Devin Aromashadu, Johnny Knox, and Earl Bennett.

It's kind of an unfair comparison though. Right now, Trubisky has everything a QB needs to succeed if Montgomery pans out. A solid O Line, good receivers, an offensive minded coach, an effective scheme, and a productive running game. If he fails, it is all on him. He's as set up as anyone in the league right now. Cutler only had a close semblance to that 2 seasons with the Bears, once under the dreadful Trestman and another under Fox/Gase. And even then, the OL wasn't as good as it is today. I think the main reason for Cutler's numbers in 2014 is because our defense was so bad under Mel Tucker that the offense always had to throw because we were always playing from behind. We were also getting blown out that year too, so lots of garbage time stats. What a crappy team that was.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Were they? Cutler never had a high like the Tampa game last year and the St. Louis game was comparable to Cutler’s worst.

The Rams game might have been affected by a bad shoulder but Cutler's 1st Packers game, the Niners meltdown, Baltimore in 2009, the 2010 Redskins game(although he had a concussion), GB in 2012, and several other games were all considerably worse than Trubs vs the Rams

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I'll never give @PrideisBears the satisfaction of getting embroiled in a debate where I'm going to bat for Cutler, so I'm not getting deep into this one.

Agreed that Trubisky is the better option because he has already shown that he wants to and has gotten better, and is more likely to continue to improve than Cutler ever was.

Lot better arm talent for Cutler, but Trubisky has a better feel for the pocket and he's a better athlete.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Seriously though.

Cutler’s highs were higher and his lows were lower.

What highs are you speaking of?

TBH, I can only recall two games in which Cutler tried to lead his team to victory. Once was against the Lions where he took a beating but ended up winning the game. The other was against the Saints where the whole team played terrible and Cutler was the only guy doing anything, but the Bears comeback fell short.

I've never seen a QB start for so long and be so consistently inconsequential to the team winning games. Cutler was like Jay Fielder with a big contract.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Jay had a gun but also his share of dirt balls, forced throws etc. He had his best year with Alshon, Marshall and Forte in a pass friendly O and had worse #s than Mitch last year. Jay had 1 more TD with one extra game but a hair worse TD to INT ratio. Lower passer rating with those catchers and a genuine running threat. He wasn't more accurate, he didn't avoid the rush or throw on the run as well and forced a lot of balls. Anyone that would blame his OL that year for limiting those #s vs Mitch's is avoiding how poorly the OL played last year.

Mitches 2nd year was better than Jays best year. I wouldn't get too worked up about it since Jays best year wasn't really good enough.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I honestly can’t believe this is even a debate for some. Cutler fucking sucked so bad.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Statistically, Jay's best season was 2015 when Gase took the ball out of his hands & focused more on the running game. Same thing that Detroit is going to do this season with Stafford

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I think the trolls were better in Cutlers time here. We used to get pictures of Jay riding a white hoarse on a beach with his shirt open and a cig hanging from his lips, now all we get is Trubisky's name changed to something similer.

Last edited:

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Trubisky is already better than Cutler ever was.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
I think their kinda similar to this point both somewhat of a disappointment, but the arrival of Matt Nagy really can't be understated. I think the Bears may be one of the best coached teams in the league right now, which was not the case during cutlers tenure. Mitch is in a perfect situation, let's see if he can capitalize.