I don't think there will be a drop-off after Jordan Howard's departure

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was initially very concerned by this, but the more footage I see of Montgomery, the less concerned I am.

This is a hard-running back. He attacks defenders and seems to have a bit more speed than Howard. He may not have Alvin Kamara quickness, but he's at least as quick (and fast) as Howard was.

*Corrected stupid "Engrish" grammar mistake.

Last edited:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He also has the ability to move laterally, so that’s already a pretty huge upgrade in and of itself.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
This should key us in as to how good of a talent scout Nagy is. He's all about this guy in every interview I see. We're going to start seeing how multifaceted he is as a HC. There's more to it than putting a few more points on the board with window dressing and dink & dunk plays.

Also, some of the interviews I'm seeing leads me to believe Nagy has very little if any influence on the defense at all. He talks about standing around and watching what those guys in practice do is amazing. (paraphrazing) Like he's got a pedestrian role in the defense.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Well considering Howard only averaged 3.7ypc and severely limited the passing game when he was on the field, I'd say it would be hard to have a dropoff. It's not just the fact that he was not a threat receiving the ball, the defense didn't respect him as an outlet receiver and made the offense rather predictable. He was a very good pass blocker though, I am worried about replacing that.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hadn't considered the pass-blocker option, hmm...

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Has there ever been a Bears 3rd pick under more pressure to preform then Montgomery? ?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Has there ever been a Bears 3rd pick under more pressure to preform then Montgomery? ?

Huh? Mike Davis, Cohen and Patterson will all be seeing the field quite a bit. Along with what @bamainatlanta said, there’s not really much of a hole to fill. I don’t think there’s much pressure at all on Montgomery unless injuries pile up.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Huh? Mike Davis, Cohen and Patterson will all be seeing the field quite a bit. Along with what @bamainatlanta said, there’s not really much of a hole to fill. I don’t think there’s much pressure at all on Montgomery unless injuries pile up.
Then why is there several threads by bears fans and media talk that is dedicated to a 3rd rd pick? If the Bears had a 1st and 2nd this draft would Montgomery be such a focus? Not a chance!

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then why is there several threads by bears fans and media talk that is dedicated to a 3rd rd pick? If the Bears had a 1st and 2nd this draft would Montgomery be such a focus? Not a chance!

So because there are no other good talking points for the Bears during the driest days of the NFL offseason...you equate that to Montgomery having historically unrealistic expectations? Time to put the marker away for the night...you are connecting dots that are not there.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
So because there are no other good talking points for the Bears during the driest days of the NFL offseason...you equate that to Montgomery having historically unrealistic expectations? Time to put the marker away for the night...you are connecting dots that are not there.
And Chris Conte was historic??? Use pencil, it’s easier to erase.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Well considering Howard only averaged 3.7ypc and severely limited the passing game when he was on the field, I'd say it would be hard to have a dropoff. It's not just the fact that he was not a threat receiving the ball, the defense didn't respect him as an outlet receiver and made the offense rather predictable. He was a very good pass blocker though, I am worried about replacing that.
3.7? look deeper. He spent the first 10 games in a different run blocking system that did not fit him, then we went back to our old blocking system and Howard took off again. I hate stats. Stats are lies told in math.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The right way to use Howard would have required time travel back to the 1980's.
1980's lol He was great the three years he was our starter before Nagy got here. 2015 2016 2017 not 1980.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And Chris Conte was historic??? Use pencil, it’s easier to erase.

Maybe not historic, but he was considered the "missing piece" on a defense that was one win away from a Super Bowl which was the last time I remember that much pressure on a third round pick. Chris Conte also did not play Free Safety "by committee".

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Maybe not historic, but he was considered the "missing piece" on a defense that was one win away from a Super Bowl which was the last time I remember that much pressure on a third round pick. Chris Conte also did not play Free Safety "by committee".
True he was not historic or “by committee” actually I don’t even think he started till 5 or 6 games into the season

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
1980's lol He was great the three years he was our starter before Nagy got here. 2015 2016 2017 not 1980.
So.... you wanted us to change our entire offense so that we could keep running the Foxball offense of run, run, incomplete pass, punt? He doesn’t fit a modern offense. Deal with it.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Howard had 2 fewer carries last year than he did his rookie year.

Do you people WATCH the games?