I don't think there will be a drop-off after Jordan Howard's departure

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The ENTIRE offense did not change. You also didn't see it as you had no clue about zone vs gap until it was pointed out to you.

Gameplans change week over week all the time. There was not some monumental shift and the impetus for tweaks was Trubs injury. First with having Daniel ans 2nd to protect Trubs when he returned and not expose him to running as much.
Lol. Why do you assume I’m talking about blocking schemes? I was actually talking about how the offense’s philosophy changed and got much more conservative and featured Howard in the offense more.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol. Why do you assume I’m talking about blocking schemes? I was actually talking about how the offense’s philosophy changed and got much more conservative and featured Howard in the offense more.

You asked if we should change the entire offense for Howard and you referencing a change done not for Howard but for Daniel and a banged up Trubs.

The point is Howard succeeds in zone and you can run more zone and still be aggressive.

A zone run is no less or more aggressive than a gap run. Aggression and conservativeness is a function of the playcalling and that was changed due to the QB situation. So conservativeness is not a requirement for Howard to succeed so the premise of your question is flawed.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
You asked if we should change the entire offense for Howard and you referencing a change done not for Howard but for Daniel and a banged up Trubs.

The point is Howard succeeds in zone and you can run more zone and still be aggressive.

A zone run is no less or more aggressive than a gap run. Aggression and conservativeness is a function of the playcalling and that was changed due to the QB situation. So conservativeness is not a requirement for Howard to succeed so the premise of your question is flawed.
Both can be true. Howard is a back that needs 15-20 carries a game to be successful and unfortunately Nagy also thought the best plan moving for the offense and Mitch was to go conservative. Nagy has also said he needs a back to be successful on 10-15 touches a game so yes we still had to change the offense in order for Howard to be successful. Just so happened it benefitted Mitch as well according to Nagy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Both can be true. Howard is a back that needs 15-20 carries a game to be successful and unfortunately Nagy also thought the best plan moving for the offense and Mitch was to go conservative. Nagy has also said he needs a back to be successful on 10-15 touches a game so yes we still had to change the offense in order for Howard to be successful. Just so happened it benefitted Mitch as well according to Nagy.

Except he averages over 4 yards a carry in zone and that is not necessarily dependent on number of carries.

We did not change the ENTIRE offense for Howard to be successful. We changed some elements of the offense to take pressure off the QB. The impetus was the QB not Howard. Howard just benefited from it.

If we had stayed aggressive and just ran more zone, Howard could still be successful. Hence why the Eagles likely picked him up. They are not suddenly going to a conservative offense. They will likely remain aggressive and just use Howard in situations that make sense for him.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This should key us in as to how good of a talent scout Nagy is. He's all about this guy in every interview I see. We're going to start seeing how multifaceted he is as a HC. There's more to it than putting a few more points on the board with window dressing and dink & dunk plays.

Also, some of the interviews I'm seeing leads me to believe Nagy has very little if any influence on the defense at all. He talks about standing around and watching what those guys in practice do is amazing. (paraphrazing) Like he's got a pedestrian role in the defense.
That's typical for a O minded HC in the offseason. I expect him to get more involved this year in D game planning but not the daily X's and O's.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Except he averages over 4 yards a carry in zone and that is not necessarily dependent on number of carries.

We did not change the ENTIRE offense for Howard to be successful. We changed some elements of the offense to take pressure off the QB. The impetus was the QB not Howard. Howard just benefited from it.

If we had stayed aggressive and just ran more zone, Howard could still be successful. Hence why the Eagles likely picked him up. They are not suddenly going to a conservative offense. They will likely remain aggressive and just use Howard in situations that make sense for him.
Not sure what you’re getting at here. Most people think Howard will slip right into the Blount role in Philly. While it’s not necessarily dependent on number of carries, do you know how many carries he got in a zone scheme that factor into his 4.1 YPC? Either way it didn’t make sense for Howard to stay in Chicago because he wasn’t able to be a factor in the passing game on top of not being a good fit in the specific run scheme Nagy wants to run. He just was a complete non fit in this offense.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not sure what you’re getting at here. Most people think Howard will slip right into the Blount role in Philly. While it’s not necessarily dependent on number of carries, do you know how many carries he got in a zone scheme that factor into his 4.1 YPC? Either way it didn’t make sense for Howard to stay in Chicago because he wasn’t able to be a factor in the passing game on top of not being a good fit in the specific run scheme Nagy wants to run. He just was a complete non fit in this offense.

Don't have a problem with Howard being gone.

Just think you completely exaggerated the changing the entire offense for him. That never actually happened. Offense changed because of QB situation as well as moving into winter time in Chicago. Not some drastic shift to cater to Howard.

We will probably see similar changes this year as well as we move into winter, if QB struggles and if OL continues to lose at point of attack. I wonder how you are going to blame Howard for that too.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Don't have a problem with Howard being gone.

Just think you completely exaggerated the changing the entire offense for him. That never actually happened. Offense changed because of QB situation as well as moving into winter time in Chicago. Not some drastic shift to cater to Howard.

We will probably see similar changes this year as well as we move into winter, if QB struggles and if OL continues to lose at point of attack. I wonder how you are going to blame Howard for that too.
Can’t blame Howard for sucking in Chicago when you have David Montgomery winning OROTY. #calledit

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So.... you wanted us to change our entire offense so that we could keep running the Foxball offense of run, run, incomplete pass, punt? He doesn’t fit a modern offense. Deal with it.

Boy you people love to live in your own fictitious world with certain players. Fox didn't even overall run much more than Nagy did. The difference is that Fox was just as predictable as fucking Ron Turner. Play calling is an art. Nagy is in a different zip code altogether compared to them.

FFS, wake up people. The shit performance of the offensive line had far more to do with how inefficiently we ran the ball last season than who it was being handed off to. This shit will repeat itself if they don't make a concerted effort to actually improve their run blocking. I am optimistic about it but it sure is one of the things I am paying the most attention to, offensively, going into the 2019 season.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can’t blame Howard for sucking in Chicago when you have David Montgomery winning OROTY. #calledit

Yeah my point is if they get more conservative next year then who you going to blame that on? Getting more conservative as the weather worsens and your QB struggles is not really RB dependent.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
What I find interesting is that both the Eagles and Bears run a similar style offense yet Howard is considered a perfect fit in Philly but a non-factor in Chicago.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because Bears fans like to exaggerate. Although I wouldn't say perfect fit in Philly. Pederson just has a role for him while Nagy did not want to bother. Done to preference of the respective coaches.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Boy you people love to live in your own fictitious world with certain players. Fox didn't even overall run much more than Nagy did. The difference is that Fox was just as predictable as fucking Ron Turner. Play calling is an art. Nagy is in a different zip code altogether compared to them.

FFS, wake up people. The shit performance of the offensive line had far more to do with how inefficiently we ran the ball last season than who it was being handed off to. This shit will repeat itself if they don't make a concerted effort to actually improve their run blocking. I am optimistic about it but it sure is one of the things I am paying the most attention to, offensively, going into the 2019 season.
If you like Nagy so much(which I understand) why can't you accept that he didn't like the fit and lack of diversity of Howard in the backfield. It's not like there isn't a reason he was traded for a sandwich. He wasn't expensive, he was under contract and we didn't have any replacements at the time.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What I find interesting is that both the Eagles and Bears run a similar style offense yet Howard is considered a perfect fit in Philly but a non-factor in Chicago.
He's far from a perfect fit but he does fit an important role there. Did everyone forget that the Eagles drafted Miles Sanders with the 53rd pick? The O has similar elements but it's not the same.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Pederson likes to power run and they missed having a stronger back like Blount last year when Ajayi was injured. I think Howard is just an effort to bring in a more powerful back.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He’s considered a perfect fit so much that they drafted Miles Sanders?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I have delt with it. Nagy wants a guy that fits his system. He should get what he wants and did. I have no problem with the move. I still think we should have kept Howard one more year as a 5th don't excite me. On a side note I do believe these modern offenses are nothing more then the current fad. Some teams are already bringing back old school football as the modern defenses are not capable of stopping a strong determined run game.
The only team I know of that is going back to a run heavy offense is Detroit...and I'm pretty sure none of us favor copying the most pathetic franchise in NFL history...

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Pederson likes to power run and they missed having a stronger back like Blount last year when Ajayi was injured. I think Howard is just an effort to bring in a more powerful back.
I would think that if the Eagles are bringing in Howard to play that Blount role they will be disappointed. In my opinion Howard needs his 15/16 carries a game to be effective. A running back by committee just is not his style.