I don't think there will be a drop-off after Jordan Howard's departure

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Again where did I ever say that?

See below.

So.... you wanted us to change our entire offense so that we could keep running the Foxball offense of run, run, incomplete pass, punt? He doesn’t fit a modern offense. Deal with it.

You still spreading this myth. Would not have needed to change entire offense. Would need to run zone about 10-15% more. Doing something you already do the majority of the time 10-15% more is not changing entire offense. That is a gross exaggeration.

Furthermore could have just shifted more gap carries to Cohen to compensate since he was fine running gap.

Here we go again. Remy the fact that we actually saw the offense change towards the end of the season should tell you we actually had to change the offense.

The ENTIRE offense did not change. You also didn't see it as you had no clue about zone vs gap until it was pointed out to you.

Gameplans change week over week all the time. There was not some monumental shift and the impetus for tweaks was Trubs injury. First with having Daniel ans 2nd to protect Trubs when he returned and not expose him to running as much.

I will stop here. If you weren't saying the entire offense did not change not sure why you continued to respond in the manner above. I was clearly challenging the comment about the entire offense and you kept going on about how they got more conservative to accommodate Howard. I then explained it was not for Howard's benefit but the QBs.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol remy. The entire offense was more conservative even after the QB was back and healthy and weather wasn’t a factor. Why do you do this to yourself?

Again you yourself said he still looked like he was banged up at the time the games were played so not sure why you declaring him healthy now.

He was tentative and not as explosive running after the injury which is part of the reason Howard needed to contribute more to the run game. They were also playing tougher opponents and thus the game plan called for a bit more pounding.

So once again the main factor was the QB. Nagy was content relying on D to win with timely plays here and there from Trubs and running the ball.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I’m
See below.

I will stop here. If you weren't saying the entire offense did not change not sure why you continued to respond in the manner above. I was clearly challenging the comment about the entire offense and you kept going on about how they got more conservative to accommodate Howard. I then explained it was not for Howard's benefit but the QBs.
I was responding to a post about how Howard was successful during the John Fox offense and my point was we would have had to probably play a more Fox-like version of Foxball for him to have similar success. That would have required changing the entire offense.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m

I was responding to a post about how Howard was successful during the John Fox offense and my point was we would have had to probably play a more Fox-like version of Foxball for him to have similar success. That would have required changing the entire offense.

Yes and I said no we wouldn't. We would just need to increase zone runs by 10-15% to which you then claimed we changed our offense for Howard.

If your comment was just about Fox O then not sure why you started talking about how our O changed at end of last year to accommodate Howard. That was clearly not talking about Fox O but the O last year which is what got us on this tangent.

So let's pause here. So why did we get more conservative last year? Was it not because of QB situation and tough opponents where the gameplan warranted it?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Yes and I said no we wouldn't. We would just need to increase zone runs by 10-15% to which you then claimed we changed our offense for Howard.

If your comment was just about Fox O then not sure why you started talking about how our O changed at end of last year to accommodate Howard. That was clearly not talking about Fox O but the O last year which is what got us on this tangent.

So let's pause here. So why did we get more conservative last year? Was it not because of QB situation and tough opponents where the gameplan warranted it?
More than anything I kind of feel like it was our defense. It was so dominant that Nagy went into “don’t lose mode” and took the ball out of Mitch’s hands when he was healthy and playing good. I guess you can call that an indictment on Mitch but more than anything I think it’s Nagy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
More than anything I kind of feel like it was our defense. It was so dominant that Nagy went into “don’t lose mode” and took the ball out of Mitch’s hands when he was healthy and playing good. I guess you can call that an indictment on Mitch but more than anything I think it’s Nagy.

That is possible as well.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So because there are no other good talking points for the Bears during the driest days of the NFL offseason...you equate that to Montgomery having historically unrealistic expectations? Time to put the marker away for the night...you are connecting dots that are not there.
It's more than that. Bears got rid of a fan favorite that was the O for years and then moved up in the draft for his heir apparent. It's a big deal.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's more than that. Bears got rid of a fan favorite that was the O for years and then moved up in the draft for his heir apparent. It's a big deal.

Meh.

"Fan favorite" seems like a strong term to me. This was not Phil Emery stonewalling Brian Urlacher...it was Ryan Pace trading a fifth round pick after a down year. And trading up for his "heir apparent" does not do much for me anymore with Ryan Pace trading up for someone virtually every draft.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Meh.

"Fan favorite" seems like a strong term to me. This was not Phil Emery stonewalling Brian Urlacher...it was Ryan Pace trading a fifth round pick after a down year. And trading up for his "heir apparent" does not do much for me anymore with Ryan Pace trading up for someone virtually every draft.

Yeah. Jordan Howard being a fan favorite is like Bill Buckner being a fan favorite for the Cubs...nice player, but the team never accomplished anything while he was there. I'll remember James Allen catching a hail mary before I recall Jordan Howard gaining 7 yards on 2nd-and-5.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess but the sky was falling on this board when we traded him and then drafted a RB 'just like him'.

Some of this while Howard saw the writing on the wall before last season and closed his twitter account etc. Fans and local writers were all about the Howard.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2017/7...-important-bears-for-a-successful-2017-season

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...fantasy-football-rankings-20180724-story.html

https://dawindycity.com/2018/03/02/chicago-bears-top-10-current/10/

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you watch no other portion of that footage above, look at the 2:20 mark. Dude gets his head turned almost 180 degrees around by a Hawkeye (committing a 15 yard face-mask penalty in the process), keeps going, and still runs over 2 more dudes to score. So while I think Jordan Howard will do well in Philly, I'm not concerned about the back we drafted.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I like his style of running, he is looking for the hole and to make a move in space, but when there is no option, he is aggressive.

Sounds like he is good with his route running and has good hands, not sure you could ask for much more out of a third rounder.

Excited to see him play, AND I will pay attention to Howard, just because he was a good guy that played well for the Bears.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Boy got some lightning for legs.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe Montgomery will be starting by week 3, if not sooner. Whether or not that makes him the equivalent of a 3rd round pick or something better, I believe is immaterial. I'm also not worried about the pressure that puts on him. He can handle it. My bigger worry if I'm honest is his running style and durability, and whether or not he can pass-block as bama mentioned.

Everything I thought about him I saw last night.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Pass Pro still a work in progress, tho. Sack allowed.
Seems to be the weakest part of his game. But, he strikes me as a guy who will put in the work to improve.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree with the overall premise that Montgomery needs to improve but he didn't allow a sack. The play in question had the Panthers blitzing two defenders. Both came free. Monty picked up the inside LB well and the safety looped off of that freely for the sack.

2:30ish mark.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Very worried about his pass protection but it looked like the sack allowed was on #49 Bunting. The other play at the 2:30mark wasn't a sack but he had 2 guys to block and picked up the ILB & the S came free for the tipped pass. I didn't get to watch the game so I could have the wrong plays altogether