I Like Ross, but the Cubs need Girardi

garapp

Liked Posts:
If Grandpa had 5 years experience managing he'd be the perfect managerial candidate

But Girardi is experienced, has won a WS, former Cub, Illinois guy and disciplinarian

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IMO if Ross would accept managing then he should be open to being Joe's bench coach next year. That way he is involved and getting in game experience.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed with both. Rossy is great, but...

Yeah, there are stories of him "getting after" players, but he seems more of a friend than a boss. Cubs need a boss right now.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Players will crawl into a shell half the year with Girardi.

There is also the fact that Girardi has not been retained where he was hired due to his lack of willingness to embrace this terrible state the game is in with shifting and front office interference in the locker room. That goes with scheduled rest days and all the anal-itics. Theo always said the clubhouse and lineup were Joe's. No question Theo wants a say in it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Players will crawl into a shell half the year with Girardi.

There is also the fact that Girardi has not been retained where he was hired due to his lack of willingness to embrace this terrible state the game is in with shifting and front office interference in the locker room. That goes with scheduled rest days and all the anal-itics. Theo always said the clubhouse and lineup were Joe's. No question Theo wants a say in it.

Good to know that the players have a jellyfish spine and would need to get back on mommy's tiet because Joe is a comming.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Good to know that the players have a jellyfish spine and would need to get back on mommy's tiet because Joe is a comming.
I am glad I opened your eyes to it so you wont be shocked and post every 5 minutes for three hours straight with no responses when it happens.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
But Girardi is experienced, has won a WS, former Cub, Illinois guy and disciplinarian

Two of these "qualifications" are utterly irrelevant. I'll let you guess which ones.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I am glad I opened your eyes to it so you wont be shocked and post every 5 minutes for three hours straight with no responses when it happens.

Sounds like you have personal experience in this subject. So do you use woolite with your gimp suit?

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
If the Astros choke in the first round Hinch is gone and that will be the job Girardi will want over the Cubs job. Lot of IFs though.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
It made no sense going with short rest on Verlander.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs Launch Managerial Interviews
By Jeff Todd | October 8, 2019 at 7:08pm CDT

Oct. 8: Girardi will interview tomorrow, Gonzales further reports, with Ross slated to interview later in the week. Venable, meanwhile, interviewed for the position yesterday.
Oct. 4: The Cubs have begun formal interviews as they seek to identify their next manager, the team informed reporters including Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune (via Twitter). First-round interviews will carry into next week, at least.
First up for a chat was Mark Loretta, who served as the club’s bench coach under departing skipper Joe Maddon. Loretta had his interview yesterday. As previously reported, first base coach Will Venable will also get a chance to petition for the job. He’s slated for a sit-down next week.
Another previously reported candidate for the position, David Ross, will also get his first formal managerial interview next week. The veteran backstop-turned-analyst has long been speculated as a candidate.
Ross is not far removed from being an in-uniform veteran presence, but has never held a coaching or managing position. Loretta and Venable each have coaching experience, but neither has ever managed.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Cubs will also look at more experienced candidates. President of baseball operations Theo Epstein has said he’d “have a greater comfort for someone handling the role before.”
Joe Girardi is about as experienced as any managerial candidate, having helmed the Marlins for one season before a decade-long stint with the Yankees. He’s also slated to chat with Epstein and company next week.
Indication has been that the Cubs will look far and wide for candidates. If so, it would stand to reason that other names will still pop up for first-round interviews. The existing slate, after all, isn’t exactly an exotic group in terms of background. Two are former Chicago catchers while the others were in Cubs uniforms in the just-completed campaign.

garapp

Liked Posts:
Two of these "qualifications" are utterly irrelevant. I'll let you guess which ones.
I assume you mean former Cub and Illinois guy

Yeah, Girardi played for the Yanks also, but since he's from Peoria and played for the Cubbies, I have to think winning a WS on the North Side would be a big goal for Girardi.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I assume you mean former Cub and Illinois guy

Yeah, Girardi played for the Yanks also, but since he's from Peoria and played for the Cubbies, I have to think winning a WS on the North Side would be a big goal for Girardi.

That may be so, but the Cubs aren't going to let that influence their decision making.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Now theo wants to talk to the Astros bench coach and waiting for Ibanez. 7 openings, I doubt Girardi and Ross are going to wait and not take more interviews.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Grandpa had 5 years experience managing he'd be the perfect managerial candidate

Yeah but they would hate him. Girardi needs a young team that will respect him. The Cubs would be bad for all parties, imo, with the exception that Girardi and Schwarber will become best friends for life and possibly fix the Cubs by moving Schwarber back to catcher and Contreras to third base. Bryant to LF.

1. Rizzo 1B
2. Costenellos RF
3. Bryant LF
4. Baez SS
5. Schwarber C
6. Contreras 3B
7. Happ 2B
8. Darvish
9. Heyward CF

Man...Epstein is really a fucktard for not fixing this team. How do you let a bullpen blow 30 games in their position? Holding onto cards? For what? The future is now...or was...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Yeah but they would hate him. Girardi needs a young team that will respect him. The Cubs would be bad for all parties, imo, with the exception that Girardi and Schwarber will become best friends for life and possibly fix the Cubs by moving Schwarber back to catcher and Contreras to third base. Bryant to LF.

1. Rizzo 1B
2. Costenellos RF
3. Bryant LF
4. Baez SS
5. Schwarber C
6. Contreras 3B
7. Happ 2B
8. Darvish
9. Heyward CF

Man...Epstein is really a fucktard for not fixing this team. How do you let a bullpen blow 30 games in their position? Holding onto cards? For what? The future is now...or was...

I remember a time during the season when the two guys that were pitching well in the pen were Cishek and Ryan and Joe would use them in the fifth and sixth inning.

Heyward is the one guy who is speaking out about all the movement. Positions are different for players, and it would be nice to know you are just expected to play one, only the other in emergencies. Pitchers are the same way. You have two pitching well and are spent before the sixth inning, what does that leave for the end of the game? Two days ago, they were in at the end of the game.

Epstein states that the bullpen ERA has been one of the best in baseball over the last 5 years. Maybe they were just great for two years and last year just dropped them to fifth. Maybe it was just the fact that the 30 blown saves did not end up in a crooked number, it was just one run and that was enough to beat the cubs.

This little league moving guys around is just not going to work on this team. It would work with no established stars, but you have MVP's, almost MVP's, gold gloves and they are treated like little kids. It would work in Tampa, but lets see how many positions Otani plays, or Trout plays and see how they like it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember a time during the season when the two guys that were pitching well in the pen were Cishek and Ryan and Joe would use them in the fifth and sixth inning.

Heyward is the one guy who is speaking out about all the movement. Positions are different for players, and it would be nice to know you are just expected to play one, only the other in emergencies. Pitchers are the same way. You have two pitching well and are spent before the sixth inning, what does that leave for the end of the game? Two days ago, they were in at the end of the game.

Epstein states that the bullpen ERA has been one of the best in baseball over the last 5 years. Maybe they were just great for two years and last year just dropped them to fifth. Maybe it was just the fact that the 30 blown saves did not end up in a crooked number, it was just one run and that was enough to beat the cubs.

This little league moving guys around is just not going to work on this team. It would work with no established stars, but you have MVP's, almost MVP's, gold gloves and they are treated like little kids. It would work in Tampa, but lets see how many positions Otani plays, or Trout plays and see how they like it.

yeah my line-up is stupid just to save Contreras knees a few years on the back end. I believe he is too good of a hitter to be a catcher, and maybe his arm could be used at third base.

But no need to move people around, just get a center fielder like Fowler.

1. CF free agent
2. Bryant 3B
3. Rizzo
4. Baez SS
5. Contreras C
6. Schwarber LF
7. Habb 2b
8. Darvish
9. Heyward RF

This team is good enough to make the playoffs again. Those hitters are going to have a good year together if you keep this ship going. Ross might be the best guy just to extend what they have for a year or two and get good vibes back without. rebuilding.

The closer mistakes and Fowler are the TWO precise reasons this team has failed the last 2 years. You put Fowler and a healthy closer out there...and they are still feared.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
yeah my line-up is stupid just to save Contreras knees a few years on the back end. I believe he is too good of a hitter to be a catcher, and maybe his arm could be used at third base.

1. CF free agent
2. Bryant 3B
3. Rizzo
4. Baez SS
5. Contreras C
6. Schwarber LF
7. Habb 2b
8. Darvish
9. Heyward RF

This team is good enough to make the playoffs again. Those hitters are going to have a good year together if you keep this ship going. Ross might be the best guy just to extend what they have for a year or two and get good vibes back without. rebuilding.

The closer mistakes and Fowler are the TWO precise reasons this team has failed the last 2 years. You put Fowler and a healthy closer out there...and they are still feared.

Who be this Habb fellow?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

1. CF free agent
2. Bryant 3B
3. Rizzo
4. Baez SS
5. Contreras C
6. Schwarber LF
7. Habb 2b
8. Darvish
9. Heyward RF

Should we get a CF like Fowler, or one who is good?