I Like Ross, but the Cubs need Girardi

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If he wins for being close (only a day away), won’t the guy two days away have the same argument tomorrow? Then three, and so on.

That's exactly what's going to happen. Boras and Bryant are going to put together a very emotional appeal about how the Cubs lied about his "defense not being ready" and then called him up a day later just shy up his service time kicking in. And they won't be wrong.

And then the arbiter is going to take one look at the CBA and the dates on the calendar and then rule in favor of the Cubs. It's a black & white issue.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That's exactly what's going to happen. Boras and Bryant are going to put together a very emotional appeal about how the Cubs lied about his "defense not being ready" and then called him up a day later just shy up his service time kicking in. And they won't be wrong.

And then the arbiter is going to take one look at the CBA and the dates on the calendar and then rule in favor of the Cubs. It's a black
How can it not be realistic? Theo built the club, he claims over his 5 years the cubs have top 5 pitching numbers. It clearly comes down to how they are handled? Watching starting pitchers getting pulled with 4 2/3 innings shows no faith. Using the guy that pitched the 8th yesterday come in at that point is always a head scratcher. Get a game winning hit and ride the pines the next day because MAddening made out his lineups days in advance. Remember when someone early in the year had a great game and Zobrist,(who had a playing time agreement with Maddening) had to tell him to let the kid play, he was hot?

Last year it was, we have the 20 million to bring Cole back, then they were handcuffed all season. They got lucky with the Zobrist vacation to get some wiggle room for dollars. Now that is it, losing what. 35 million in pitching contracts? Cole, Strop, Kintzler, 5 million reduction to Lester and we want to give it all to one guy?

Will Wick Wieck, Underwood, Norwood, Ryan even be considered this year? Nobody on the roster, Nico, Javy, Willson deserve a chance to be the leadoff guy?

It is a matter of pride with Theo that he had the right guys, how much changes when you use them differently?

I don’t know what you are responding to

this response has nothing to do with me saying it’s not realistic that the Cubs will worry about what maddon has to say

The Cubs will not make moves based on what will allow maddon to criticize

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Anyone who's been on this board with me since day 2 knows I'm no Cubs hater, but:

1.) Hiring Ross is such a Sox move, Cubs fans should be embarrassed.
2.) The nickname "grandpa rossy" is the most cringe thing I've ever heard.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyone who's been on this board with me since day 2 knows I'm no Cubs hater, but:

1.) Hiring Ross is such a Sox move, Cubs fans should be embarrassed.
2.) The nickname "grandpa rossy" is the most cringe thing I've ever heard.

They are trying to break that via media outpourings and interviews with Jed etc

I found what David said to MLB Network to be interesting. First interview was back slap. 2nd was a gauntlet of questions on scenerio and his decisions based off the instance.

So there is a bigger world going on than just grandpa. It was more David has natural leadership ability and he won the job

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
“Won the job”.
Most likely to kiss Theo’s ass and be a yesman

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Gerardi... an established known manager v. Ross, never managed a team before. I'm more concerned about Ross on a team needing tweaking right now.
Cubs aren’t getting back to the World Series with Circus Dave managing. Heck they may not make it back for another 70 some years.
Ross is such a meatball pick. Theo knows he just ordered his death bed but could care less because he already has 1 foot out the door. Hiring another buddy to take sorrow shots with him after every game before we put this abomination to sleep.

I've been on Theo's side all throughout but there's no defending this. We all know it deep down inside this will bite us in the ass.
“Won the job”.
What Ross and the words accountability means is that they aren’t going to add and make things better from within doesn't it?
Ross is the love-able scapegoat they are going to use to,
keep on conveying the message to not add but keep getting better from within.

They probably want to reset the tax penalties as well, making my argument more logical.

Last edited:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Everyone who is worried about Ross being a rookie with no manager experience should wait to see the staff that surrounds him. Theo isn't a dumb guy. He will most likely match Ross up with an experienced Bench Coach.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Everyone who is worried about Ross being a rookie with no manager experience should wait to see the staff that surrounds him. Theo isn't a dumb guy. He will most likely match Ross up with an experienced Bench Coach.
I think the only question we have is how much input will Ross have. He is getting linked to Farrell

Dont mind Butterfield leaving, get an aggressive 3B coach, Buss leaving is gonna hurt, I doubt Loretta or Venables will want to return after not getting the top job.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
“Won the job”.
If he had not played for the Cubs but came with same experience playing for great managers and same support from teammates who laud his leadership, fans would be fine.

Same people criticizing would have wanted Astros coach that was interviewed though they know nothing about the guy.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If he had not played for the Cubs but came with same experience playing for great managers and same support from teammates who laud his leadership, fans would be fine.

Same people criticizing would have wanted Astros coach that was interviewed though they know nothing about the guy.
Same people that think there needs to be minority candidates interviewed for openings.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
yeah my line-up is stupid just to save Contreras knees a few years on the back end. I believe he is too good of a hitter to be a catcher, and maybe his arm could be used at third base.

But no need to move people around, just get a center fielder like Fowler.

1. CF free agent
2. Bryant 3B
3. Rizzo
4. Baez SS
5. Contreras C
6. Schwarber LF
7. Habb 2b
8. Darvish
9. Heyward RF

This team is good enough to make the playoffs again. Those hitters are going to have a good year together if you keep this ship going. Ross might be the best guy just to extend what they have for a year or two and get good vibes back without. rebuilding.

The closer mistakes and Fowler are the TWO precise reasons this team has failed the last 2 years. You put Fowler and a healthy closer out there...and they are still feared.
Who is the center field option to target?