I rewatched the Bears Eagles playoff game....

Bort

Liked Posts:
I specifically remember how this place 'reacted' after the 1st year of Mel Tucker being in Chicago, the 2013 season. People here were adamant the Bears pass defense was a "strength" (!) because they finished the season ranked 15th in the league at 233.1 YPG allowed. Meanwhile, the Bears were so far in dead last in terms of rush defense that the 31st ranked team couldn't even see them. They finished the season with 161.4 YPG allowed, next closest allowed 135.8 YPG, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Well, I mean, it was a strength compared to their run defense :ROFLMAO:

Bort

Liked Posts:
I thought it was interesting how history repeated itself. At KC, Nagy gets bashed as Chiefs blow huge playoff lead and Kareem Hunt only gets 5 touches in 2nd half. Nagy hired by Bears, says playoff loss was a learning experience. Bears playoff game, Cohen only gets 4 touches all game. I guess Nagy is a slow learner?

Cohen got the same number of carries as Benny Cunningham.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
It’s actually concerning how much losing Burton hurt the offensive game plan. It’s like Nagy found one mismatch with Burton and was going to play off of that with Cohen and then Burton went down and Nagy was totally incapable of creating a new game plan.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You're oversimplifying. Nagy could have easily just called different plays if he wanted to. Except going into a playoff game and telling your players that you've scrapped the game plan they practiced that week...is probably not going to go over well with everyone else.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Mitch certainly played well enough to win, threw no INT's, and put them in position to win it with a 43 yard field goal.

With respect to the OP, Philly's D-line dominated the run and so did the Bears. This was the strength of both teams.

The Bears upgraded the O-line by changing their backfield. Probably says more about Howard's limitations and their playcall limitations than just the play of the O-line alone.

It will be interesting to see how this offense operates with a new backfield.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It’s actually concerning how much losing Burton hurt the offensive game plan. It’s like Nagy found one mismatch with Burton and was going to play off of that with Cohen and then Burton went down and Nagy was totally incapable of creating a new game plan.
Well, Burton was a no go, but Allan Robinson did have the 2nd best game of the season, so it's not like they didn't make any adjustments.

I'd add, on the season Mitch averaged 28 pass attempts a game. Against Philly he reached his second highest attempt number at 43, so again they did adjust to the running game being ineffective.

I'll agree that the offense was sub-par, but they faced an above average, playoff caliber team. That will happen.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mitch certainly played well enough to win, threw no INT's, and put them in position to win it with a 43 yard field goal.

With respect to the OP, Philly's D-line dominated the run and so did the Bears. This was the strength of both teams.

The Bears upgraded the O-line by changing their backfield. Probably says more about Howard's limitations and their playcall limitations than just the play of the O-line alone.

It will be interesting to see how this offense operates with a new backfield.

Think the issue is he also played poor enough to lose particularly in the 1st half.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yet they led after the 1st 1/2 feeling things out portion so fuck that.

We also led by 5 points with under 5 minutes left and ahead in TOP when the D let the Eagles go 60 for a TD over about 4 minutes that left us 1 point behind with 48 sec left when Mitch next touched the ball. He puts us in position to win and you know the rest.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lost in all of this is that Philly's D Line will probably be better if Malik Jackson plays like he used to and Barnett comes back healthy. They will dominate the trenches again in week 8

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Come on Rem, does it hurt to be objective?

You can't cherry pick a half. The overall performance was certainly good enough to win.

The 2 big below average performances were parkey and Howard. Not surprisingly they both aren't bears this season.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yet they led after the 1st 1/2 feeling things out portion so fuck that.

We also led by 5 points with under 5 minutes left and ahead in TOP when the D let the Eagles go 60 for a TD over about 4 minutes that left us 1 point behind with 48 sec left when Mitch next touched the ball. He puts us in position to win and you know the rest.

Lol, 6 points at half time is not good. The Eagles scored pretty much the same amount of points the Bears D gave up on average. The O underachieved based on what they typically score. Bears O left points on the table in the first half and that clearly contributed to the loss.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Come on Rem, does it hurt to be objective?

You can't cherry pick a half. The overall performance was certainly good enough to win.

The 2 big below average performances were parkey and Howard. Not surprisingly they both aren't bears this season.

No it wasn't. 15 points loses you the vast majority of games. The goal of a QB is to help put points on the board not rack up yards or not throw Ints. Trubs was part of the reason we did not put up more points. That is the objective truth.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol, 6 points at half time is not good. The Eagles scored pretty much the same amount of points the Bears D gave up on average. The O underachieved based on what they typically score. Bears O left points on the table in the first half and that clearly contributed to the loss.
How many game leading TDs did the Bears give up in the last minute of a game? Were we in position to win? O involves more than Mitch. they all count but games become situational an if you don't understand that how you finish and rise to an occasion is a lot more important than how you start, there's no point on going on, like there ever really was.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How many game leading TDs did the Bears give up in the last minute of a game? Were we in position to win? O involves more than Mitch. they all count but games become situational an if you don't understand that how you finish and rise to an occasion is a lot more important than how you start, there's no point on going on, like there ever really was.

This is not what the debate was about. The poster said Mitch was good enough to win and I said he was also poor enough to lose. So in context, I am saying it was an uneven performance that contributed to the loss.

That does not change the fact he had a great fourth quarter and led the team to a potential GW FG. It also doesnt change the fact that the reason the game was that close is because of the poor 1st half and the fact the O only managed 6 points in the 1st half and 15 overall.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Irrationalization?

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I'd give Mitch a 7/10 for his performance.

Overall I'd say his game was more like a 6 but I'll give him a point bump for a nice game winning drive (what should've been a game winning drive).

It really isn't anyone else's fault that Parkey is just a pure shit kicker.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd give Mitch a 7/10 for his performance.

Overall I'd say his game was more like a 6 but I'll give him a point bump for a nice game winning drive (what should've been a game winning drive).

It really isn't anyone else's fault that Parkey is just a pure shit kicker.
Parkey thinks there is.
preacher-304-the-devil-1200x707.jpg

I mean if crisscrossing yourself helps you make them...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
You're oversimplifying. Nagy could have easily just called different plays if he wanted to.

This "analysis" made me laugh. I imagined Nagy being forced to call plays that he didn't want to call, as if someone sent him a very specific death threat which outlined down/distance situational playcalling..."and if you call a wheel route for Cohen on 2nd and 6, I'm going to shoot you" or some other nonsense.

I understand that your football thoughts usually suck, but this particular comment sucked HUGE dick. Sorry.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This "analysis" made me laugh. I imagined Nagy being forced to call plays that he didn't want to call, as if someone sent him a very specific death threat which outlined down/distance situational playcalling..."and if you call a wheel route for Cohen on 2nd and 6, I'm going to shoot you" or some other nonsense.

I understand that your football thoughts usually suck, but this particular comment sucked HUGE dick. Sorry.

Sounds like a plot from Speed 3 or The Last Boyscout 2