If I was the GM and Manager...

Big Z

Byrd is the Word!
Liked Posts:
Thank God you're not the GM or manager, that's all I have to say.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thank God you're not the GM or manager, that's all I have to say.

That's a little harsh...

Um...Let's put it a different way.

Though some of your ideas are solid ones, we cannot do all of them at once. Several reasons for this. One, practicality. You're not gonna find suitors for Kosuke, Lee, Soriano, etc. Two, Soriano and Silva (and Fukudome to a lesser extent) have been playing really well, and you have to have some vets on the team for the young guns to learn from.

I think this may be a case of undeniable frustration more than anything else.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Good ideas. Most will never happen though. Way to far fetched in my opinion.

Big Z

Byrd is the Word!
Liked Posts:
It wasn't the moves that really scared me about your proposals as much (although most of them are very unrealistic.) But if you think a lineup of:

1) Starlin Castro SS
2) Tyler Colvin RF
3) Xavier Nady 1B
4) Malon Byrd CF
5) Chad Tracy 3B
6) Alfonso Soriano LF
7) Geovany Soto C
8) Darwin Barney 2B
9) Pitcher P

Would score more runs than our current lineup I really question your sanity.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
It wasn't the moves that really scared me about your proposals as much (although most of them are very unrealistic.) But if you think a lineup of:

1) Starlin Castro SS
2) Tyler Colvin RF
3) Xavier Nady 1B
4) Malon Byrd CF
5) Chad Tracy 3B
6) Alfonso Soriano LF
7) Geovany Soto C
8) Darwin Barney 2B
9) Pitcher P

Would score more runs than our current lineup I really question your sanity.

Nady at 1st? Personally, I'd go Hoffpauir over Nady and have X for pinch hitting and for giving whomever a day off. Other than that, I like what you've got.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nady use to be good, a .300 hitter until he got arm surgery. Kosuke is batting in the low .200's right now andf the Yanks did have interest in him when Granderson went down. And the Cubs need to trade him. Let Colvin play. There is still vets in the lineup, Soriano, Byrd, Nady and Tracy.

Hoffpauir is hitting in the 100's in Triple A.

This is the lineup for the future and I like it. Play younger kids and the vets, lineup has more contact hitters, speed but the power goes down.

I think lee to the Angels can happen if Hendry really wanted it to happen.

The Cubs have the best hitting coach in the game and that is the best for a young club.

To me, the Cubs are not going to win with this lineup so why not and try get younger. Also this cuts budget by a lot and then Hendry could be more flexible.

For some reason I like that lineup. I think it will score more runs but we will never know until it is tried.

The bullpen looks way better too. And Cashner is talking Lilly's spot so that could be an positive. But who knows.

I tried and I like what I came up with.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
That is a pretty weak lineup and the pitching wouldn't be good enough to overcome the lack of runs scored imo.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
That's a little harsh...

Um...Let's put it a different way.

Though some of your ideas are solid ones, we cannot do all of them at once. Several reasons for this. One, practicality. You're not gonna find suitors for Kosuke, Lee, Soriano, etc. Two, Soriano and Silva (and Fukudome to a lesser extent) have been playing really well, and you have to have some vets on the team for the young guns to learn from.

I think this may be a case of undeniable frustration more than anything else.

It's fine, he has a freedom of speech.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
This lineup is better than the one the Cubs are putting out there today.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would try to trade all the guys you mention, but it will be hard to do. Dome has a NTC and a lot of money. Silva carries money, nobody is going to trade for Theriot right now.

In theory I agree, but your conclusion confuses me. The stripped down Cubs team will not be better off winning now, for the future yes, but not now.

Lefty

Liked Posts:

1) No-trade clause

2) No-trade clause

3) No-trade clause, and if other teams are aware of certain numbers, they know he's a ticking time bomb just waiting to blow (literally and figuratively).

4) You mean only $2 million for a below-average defensive player with a .313 OBP? Where can the entire league sign up?

5) He has a .327 OBP and a .382 SLG.....in triple-A. Bad idea.

6) Not a bad idea.

7) That would leave the bullpen mighty thin, and I'm not sure how big ownership would be on just straight pissing away 500K like that.

8) The only value-bringer in this deal would be Fontenot, but why trade away your best-hitting middle IFer?

9) Full no-trade, full no-trade, too overpaid and full no-trade

10) If you're shopping him, why is he on the DL?

11) Not a bad idea

12) In order: Eh, bad and dominating AAA because he's 28

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
1) No-trade clause

2) No-trade clause

3) No-trade clause, and if other teams are aware of certain numbers, they know he's a ticking time bomb just waiting to blow (literally and figuratively).

4) You mean only $2 million for a below-average defensive player with a .313 OBP? Where can the entire league sign up?

5) He has a .327 OBP and a .382 SLG.....in triple-A. Bad idea.

6) Not a bad idea.

7) That would leave the bullpen mighty thin, and I'm not sure how big ownership would be on just straight pissing away 500K like that.

8) The only value-bringer in this deal would be Fontenot, but why trade away your best-hitting middle IFer?

9) Full no-trade, full no-trade, too overpaid and full no-trade

10) If you're shopping him, why is he on the DL?

11) Not a bad idea

12) In order: Eh, bad and dominating AAA because he's 28

1) Like I said, he could waive it.
2) It is a limited NTC.
3) He he could be traded to a contender, why wouldn' he accept it.
4) I don't get what you mean.
5) Castro was not taking walks or pitches in the minors and now he is, so you can see if he would change. What is Theriot doing now? Not taking walks.
6) thanks
7) Get the youngster ups and Howry ain't good.
8) The trade Baker with Gorzo not Fontenot, that is why I said either. Castro is hitting.
9) That is why I said shop and see if a team bites but that is unlikely.
10) tHAT IS AFTER THE SHOPPING HAS FAILED, GIVE IT A WEEK THEN MAKE MOVE (sorry for caps)
11) Thanks.
12) It doesn't hurt to try and see what happens.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
1) Like I said, he could waive it.
2) It is a limited NTC.
3) He he could be traded to a contender, why wouldn' he accept it.
4) I don't get what you mean.
5) Castro was not taking walks or pitches in the minors and now he is, so you can see if he would change. What is Theriot doing now? Not taking walks.
6) thanks
7) Get the youngster ups and Howry ain't good.
8) The trade Baker with Gorzo not Fontenot, that is why I said either. Castro is hitting.
9) That is why I said shop and see if a team bites but that is unlikely.
10) tHAT IS AFTER THE SHOPPING HAS FAILED, GIVE IT A WEEK THEN MAKE MOVE (sorry for caps)
11) Thanks.
12) It doesn't hurt to try and see what happens.

1) True, he could, and hopefully the stuff with LAA pans out, but outside of that, the decision is still up to him, which isn't much reason to hope or simply say "trade him".

2)So what? Trading a player isn't as simple as saying "trade him". You have to find what teams are interested in, what they are willing to give up, what you might have to pay, etc. When you go through that whittling down process, it is quite possible that the only teams remaining are the ones he can block trades to. Video games are fun, but the trade market in the MLB is almost nothing like what you find in them.

3)Well, it doesn't really matter if he would be willing to accept the trade, because as I said in my original point: if other teams are aware of certain numbers, they will realize he's not worth the risk. What's to be gained from waiving a NT clause when there are no worthwhile buyers?

4) I mean he's bad, he's 30 and he plays questionable at best defense; teams aren't going to be interested in that.

5) Starlin Castro has the 10th best walk rate on the Cubs along with a .340 OBP, he's probably not the one to be your poster boy for taking walks. And there is a correlation between minor-league statistics and MLB performance: those not getting on base a ton in the minors (however they manage it) are probably not going to be on-base stars at the major league level.

6) No problem

7) The decision to sign Howry is of little importance at this point, what is important is that I don't think ownership would be happy to just start giving away 500K. That's another aspect that you have to contend with as a GM: ownership.

8) What teams in their right mind would put a worthwhile package together for Baker and Gorzelanny? Between the two of them, there are exactly ZERO redeeming baseball qualities.

9) Unless you have the go-ahead from the player or their agent, shopping someone with a NTC is going to garner you next to nothing, if you can find anything of value in the first place.

10) I'm sure the player's union and the MLB would be investigating you right quick if you shopped a player for awhile, got nothing, then promptly put him on the DL.

11) No Problem

12)Actually, it very well could hurt: making sweeping changes like you have listed and then repopulating a portion of the roster with questionable minor league players probably isn't going to score you many points with 1) the restless fanbase, 2) the brand new owners and 3) the players still remaining on the squad.