Illini BB

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They just don't play acceptable defense for large periods in pretty much every game. This has been an issue with every Underwood team so far, especially their on ball defense which is usually horrendous.

If they shoot well they can stay in it for a awhile against good teams but almost never for a whole game because they pretty much never get consistent stops.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
They just don't play acceptable defense for large periods in pretty much every game. This has been an issue with every Underwood team so far, especially their on ball defense which is usually horrendous.

If they shoot well they can stay in it for a awhile against good teams but almost never for a whole game because they pretty much never get consistent stops.
They ran out of gas. Too many turnovers and too many scoring droughts.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They ran out of gas. Too many turnovers and too many scoring droughts.
That pretty much has happened to them against every good team they've eve played under Underwood. Just look at opponent FG%. Can they turn it around? Probably. But it's the same thing that's been happening consistently for three years, especially in the second half of games.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
That pretty much has happened to them against every good team they've eve played under Underwood. Just look at opponent FG%. Can they turn it around? Probably. But it's the same thing that's been happening consistently for three years, especially in the second half of games.
You can't have 23 turnovers against a good opponent. In a 3 guard offense that number is mind-boggling. But...Illinois will face very few opponents with Zona's talent. That team has more than a couple of NBA prospects. They are also missing Tev Jones off the bench at the 4.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You can't have 23 turnovers against a good opponent. In a 3 guard offense that number is mind-boggling. But...Illinois will face very few opponents with Zona's talent. That team has more than a couple of NBA prospects. They are also missing Tev Jones off the bench at the 4.

Sure, they don't value the basketball well or play defense well. All I'm saying is these are long-standing problems that have been in Champaign since Underwood (and really Groce too). Ayo looks like he's regressed considerably.

Tevian has literally had one good game in O&B, reports have not been strong about his improvement, and he doesn't go to class much. Long stretch to think he's going to have much of an impact if he can even get back for the spring term.

I'm excited for Curbelo next year. I actually think he's going to be the most important player of the Underwood era thus far. A real PG who plays like a PG, likely a 4 year guy. I love his game, more than Ayo or Miller tbh.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Sure, they don't value the basketball well or play defense well. All I'm saying is these are long-standing problems that have been in Champaign since Underwood (and really Groce too). Ayo looks like he's regressed considerably.

Tevian has literally had one good game in O&B, reports have not been strong about his improvement, and he doesn't go to class much. Long stretch to think he's going to have much of an impact if he can even get back for the spring term.

I'm excited for Curbelo next year. I actually think he's going to be the most important player of the Underwood era thus far. A real PG who plays like a PG, likely a 4 year guy. I love his game, more than Ayo or Miller tbh.
Yeah. I don't get the matador defense. Curbelo was a great get. I am not worried about Ayo. He just hasn't grasped the half court yet this year. Giorgi hasn't adapted to the 4. BBV will be a sophomore in February, but until then, they miss Tev. And yes. He improved. He does need to go to class. I wouldn't count on him at all, but that's the bench player they are missing. Griffin has taken the sophomore leap, but had a really bad night last night. This team will look good by January 1.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They played a road game48 hours earlier. Faced a very good team that doesn’t lose at home. Weren’t cowardly in insisting on neutral site game. No shame in that loss. Facing tough competition will serve them well.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They played a road game48 hours earlier. Faced a very good team that doesn’t lose at home. Weren’t cowardly in insisting on neutral site game. No shame in that loss. Facing tough competition will serve them well.
I hope so, but I'm also not going to hold my breath. Again, this is part of a larger trend that has been really consistent over the last few years.

There isn't anything unusual about playing two road games in 48 hours. In fact in the Pac 10 this is what they do for every road trip.

I'm truly not sure what being cowardly in scheduling (and who wasn't being cowardly, Whitman?) or not has to do with the team.

I agree, no shame in losing that one. But at some point they have to begin winning some of this type of game, or at least competing for the entire second half.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I hope so, but I'm also not going to hold my breath. Again, this is part of a larger trend that has been really consistent over the last few years.

There isn't anything unusual about playing two road games in 48 hours. In fact in the Pac 10 this is what they do for every road trip.

I'm truly not sure what being cowardly in scheduling (and who wasn't being cowardly, Whitman?) or not has to do with the team.

I agree, no shame in losing that one. But at some point they have to begin winning some of this type of game, or at least competing for the entire second half.
They're 2-1. The sky isn't falling. Kentucky lost by 40 at the start of the season last year.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They're 2-1. The sky isn't falling. Kentucky lost by 40 at the start of the season last year.
Of course I never indicated that the sky was falling, just that this loss fits a long-established pattern from Underwood's teams.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I am not saying you are wrong, but I just don’t recall that we fall apart in second half after playing even in first.

I just remember losing a lot. Too often. And not having talent equal to that of our opponents.

The trend of falling apart late doesn’t feel like that’s been a trend, to me.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Illini should have ran that team out of the gym last night. But good win. Really excited for Kofi. He keeps this up, he really might be 1 and done. I understand that the NBA doesn't use these types of centers as much in the NBA anymore, but if he can average a double double in the B1G, I can see him declaring for the draft.

Looks like there might be some good news today. Supposedly, Adam Miller has signed and will announce his commitment to the Illini today. Imagine Ayo, Miller, Curbello on the team next year. Should be fun.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Illini should have ran that team out of the gym last night. But good win. Really excited for Kofi. He keeps this up, he really might be 1 and done. I understand that the NBA doesn't use these types of centers as much in the NBA anymore, but if he can average a double double in the B1G, I can see him declaring for the draft.

Looks like there might be some good news today. Supposedly, Adam Miller has signed and will announce his commitment to the Illini today. Imagine Ayo, Miller, Curbello on the team next year. Should be fun.
The Citadel shot 28% overall on the game. The spread was 27 pts. They beat the spread. Kofi needs to expand his game and get a mid-range game before the NBA comes a calling. I'm guessing 2 and done.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yeah, it may be a perfect scenario for Illinois. Kofi is good enough to be productive, and not such that he goes after one year.

As for Miller, he is not at all signed - just the opposite. His "commitment" is anything but, as he verballed one day after the signing period. But that doesn't mean it's not a good day for the Illini as he did give a verbal. Word is that it is to allow himself an out in the unlikely scenario that Ayo stays. Both need the ball a lot. So not necessarily a negative. (As some curmudgeon - me - initially thought.)

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Yeah, it may be a perfect scenario for Illinois. Kofi is good enough to be productive, and not such that he goes after one year.

As for Miller, he is not at all signed - just the opposite. His "commitment" is anything but, as he verballed one day after the signing period. But that doesn't mean it's not a good day for the Illini as he did give a verbal. Word is that it is to allow himself an out in the unlikely scenario that Ayo stays. Both need the ball a lot. So not necessarily a negative. (As some curmudgeon - me - initially thought.)

Yeah, this tweet tells me that he's going to re-open the recruitment eventually:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
That's clickbait. Miller is committed to Illinois. Ayo is leaving after this season barring something unforeseen.

Dont think it's clickbait if he was directly quoting him. Haven't seen the article but reads like he's still open to other schools

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Dont think it's clickbait if he was directly quoting him. Haven't seen the article but reads like he's still open to other schools
Adam said a lot of other things, as well. 247 gets sensationalistic with stuff regularly. Adam Miller is not going anywhere but Illinois unless Ayo is still there for some reason unforeseen. Why would someone make a big production of a commitment event, at Jordan's no less, and not really be committed?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Adam said a lot of other things, as well. 247 gets sensationalistic with stuff regularly. Adam Miller is not going anywhere but Illinois unless Ayo is still there for some reason unforeseen. Why would someone make a big production of a commitment event, at Jordan's no less, and not really be committed?

I hope he does wind up at Illinois and I certainly believe there is a very good chance.

But if you’re going to ask “why have the ceremony “, then also ask “why after the signing period?” and “why bring up others during a so called “ commitment “?

It’s like saying “my girlfriend and I just got engaged, but I am going on a date with someone else tomorrow.”