Illini BB

dennehy

Liked Posts:
This was always going to be a very tough game to win, even with Ayo. Rutgers is undefeated at home and I don't think UI matches up too well with them. Without Ayo, less than 10% chance, they'd need to play a close to perfect game.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
This was always going to be a very tough game to win, even with Ayo. Rutgers is undefeated at home and I don't think UI matches up too well with them. Without Ayo, less than 10% chance, they'd need to play a close to perfect game.

A lot of our remaining games will be tough but they will need to find a few wins somewhere or else you can say goodbye to the tournament.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

If the Cavs fire him, Illini should go after him

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Fire a coach as things are finally looking up and replace him with a coach on the verge of retirement?

And I say this as a fan of Beilien who was ready to jettison Underwood at Christmas.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Fire a coach as things are finally looking up and replace him with a coach on the verge of retirement?

And I say this as a fan of Beilien who was ready to jettison Underwood at Christmas.

I actually didnt read the article all the way thru. I figured his "thugs" comment had something to do with it. And it could hurt recruiting too.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Underwood had the team ranked in February for the first time in over 10 years, has a great incoming class and you are still looking at different coaches. LOL.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Underwood had the team ranked in February for the first time in over 10 years, has a great incoming class and you are still looking at different coaches. LOL.

If the season ended today, it would still be a failure to me. Guy has to prove something in March other than simply being ranked and have a great class coming in.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If the season ended today, it would still be a failure to me. Guy has to prove something in March other than simply being ranked and have a great class coming in.
You would have fired Lou Henson too soon, as well. Illinois was in a very similar place when Underwood took over.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You would have fired Lou Henson too soon, as well. Illinois was in a very similar place when Underwood took over.

Henson was always overrated to me. Always lost to lower seeded teams in the tournament. I'm not even sure he ever beat a higher seeded team.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Henson was always overrated to me. Always lost to lower seeded teams in the tournament. I'm not even sure he ever beat a higher seeded team.
OK. The basketball court is named after Lou. 16th winningest NCAA coach of all-time. So overrated.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
OK. The basketball court is named after Lou. 16th winningest NCAA coach of all-time. So overrated.

With very few of those wins being memorable. He was a choke artist in the tournament. Sorry to be a realist over the situation.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
With very few of those wins being memorable. He was a choke artist in the tournament. Sorry to be a realist over the situation.
LOL. Plenty of memorable wins. Some inexplicable losses, as well. Henson could certainly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory The lying snake you recommended up the thread a bit to coach UIUC screwed Henson's program, BTW. None of that changes the program being in a similar place when both Henson/Underwood took over. I bet if I go back in the thread, you were one of the posters saying Ayo was going pro last season, too.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'll be surprised if Texas doesn't go after Beilein. Shaka has underachieved. They should have kept Barnes. Also, Miller is underachieving at Indiana. I wonder if Cuban would consider helping Indiana with a hire?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
LOL. Plenty of memorable wins. Some inexplicable losses, as well. Henson could certainly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory The lying snake you recommended up the thread a bit to coach UIUC screwed Henson's program, BTW. None of that changes the program being in a similar place when both Henson/Underwood took over. I bet if I go back in the thread, you were one of the posters saying Ayo was going pro last season, too.

I said if he got a consensus 1st round pick, he'd be gone. Just because Henson was the best this program ever had, it doesnt really justify him being great. He will forever be remembered for the 1989 team....quite possibly one of the best teams of the last 40 years not to win it

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I said if he got a consensus 1st round pick, he'd be gone. Just because Henson was the best this program ever had, it doesnt really justify him being great. He will forever be remembered for the 1989 team....quite possibly one of the best teams of the last 40 years not to win it
Yeah. Getting to a Final Four means you're a shitty coach. What was I thinking?

BTW...Lou Henson has a better W/L percentage than Beilein.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think Henson would have far less bad tourney losses if they'd had the double bonus back then. He got real nervous at the end of tourney games and his teams always played like that. Austin Peay in 87 and Nova in 85 (iirc) they missed a ton of front ends an blew nice leads in the last few minutes. Dayton and Vandy I remember too but not the details.

They got fucked having to play Kentucky at Rupp in 84. No one will ever forget Michigan in 89. All in all Henson was really good but his teams did underachieve quite a bit in the tournament.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think Henson would have far less bad tourney losses if they'd had the double bonus back then. He got real nervous at the end of tourney games and his teams always played like that. Austin Peay in 87 and Nova in 85 (iirc) they missed a ton of front ends an blew nice leads in the last few minutes. Dayton and Vandy I remember too but not the details.

They got fucked having to play Kentucky at Rupp in 84. No one will ever forget Michigan in 89. All in all Henson was really good but his teams did underachieve quite a bit in the tournament.

That's what I remember him for. Dusty Baker was another coach that couldn't quite win it with all that talent.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I actually didnt read the article all the way thru. I figured his "thugs" comment had something to do with it. And it could hurt recruiting too.
I was referring to the suggestion Illinois fire Underwood

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

How many NCAA tournaments has he made? What has Underwood done to make you think he is untouchable and other coaches shouldn't be looked at?

Last edited:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
How many NCAA tournaments has he made? What has Underwood done to make you think he is untouchable and other coaches shouldn't be looked at?
1. The program was in essentially the same spot when Henson took over. It took him about 5 years to get it going.
2. Have you seen the buyout of his contract? He isn’t going anywhere after this year, unless by his own choice. He signed the contract. That’s what he’s done.
3. Barring a total collapse, Illinois is in the post-season this year. That’s progress.
4. Bringing in 2 Top 40 ranked players and Hawkins (inside 150 now), along with 2 transfers and a redshirt, the team has more shooting and more options next year. Whitman is smart enough to keep that going.