Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Purdue is a weird team. I can see them beating anyone on any night and losing to anyone on any night.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
NW up double digits on Maryland at half.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
57e2599288ea5c0089df0871-5808752e95cee4003cf1f7cf.jpg

Best effort by a UI team in years. Kofi, Ayo, Trent all straight ballin. I thought after that embarrassing play by Griffin it was going to be close to impossible to win, and they blew them out.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Illini. That's what I'm talking about. Do you guys agree with Dakich about Kofi being a lottery pick this year? I feel like he might need to develop as I've not seen him take many shots outside the paint. The NBA likes centers who can play outside, but he might also just get drafted just on potential. This is a guy who hasn't been playing basketball that long. I wonder how he and Embiid compare at this stage in college.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Illini. That's what I'm talking about. Do you guys agree with Dakich about Kofi being a lottery pick this year? I feel like he might need to develop as I've not seen him take many shots outside the paint. The NBA likes centers who can play outside, but he might also just get drafted just on potential. This is a guy who hasn't been playing basketball that long. I wonder how he and Embiid compare at this stage in college.

He'll get drafted on potential, not too high though most likely because he's not effective outside the paint on either end. Great rebounder. Great finisher, but his size advantage will be negated in the paint in the NBA. Takes a long time to gather himself and often brings the ball down unnecessarily to gather - not a quick jumper. In the NBA those are not unique traits. He is showing a lot more patience recently in his help side defense, not jumping at the shot fake as much. Has the physical tools to be at least a nuisance near the rim if not a true rim protector at that level.

He'll struggle a lot against more mobile bigs, can't guard quickness on the perimeter. Even tonight, got taken off the dribble by Williams a couple times. And Williams is not an NBA athlete by any means. Kofi isn't a twitchy athlete by NBA standards. Needs a couple post moves (ok baby hook right now) and a consistent 15 footer. Hit one tonight but that was (I think) the first time he's scored with both feet outside the paint this year. Pretty much a dunker and layup only player, not sure that will translate.

20 years ago he's a lottery pick, no doubt. But the NBA has changed a lot. Who is a comp for him in the modern day NBA? Maybe Jahlil Okafor? Maybe Valenciunas? He's not nearly as quick or springy as Andre Drummond. He reminds me a bit of Caleb Swanigan, except he doesn't shoot it well.

Hopefully he'll want to take the chance and come back for next year, work on his offensive game and lateral quickness and become a lottery pick. But I will say I don't think I've ever seen a big improve as much as he has as quickly as he has at this level.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I assumed early that he’d be a high pick based on size. But he is stiff and lacks skills thus far. He rebounds because he is so strong (and big), but I am not sure he’s a lottery pick.

I hold out hope that he is the perfect combination of effective college player and not ready nba prospect.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sagarin Rating - #20th (up from 31)
Ken Pom - #22nd
College RPI - #38th
ESPN BPI - #25th

All bracketology wesbites have the projection from a seed of 9 to 11. Not having a signature non-conference win hurts.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He'll get drafted on potential, not too high though most likely because he's not effective outside the paint on either end. Great rebounder. Great finisher, but his size advantage will be negated in the paint in the NBA. Takes a long time to gather himself and often brings the ball down unnecessarily to gather - not a quick jumper. In the NBA those are not unique traits. He is showing a lot more patience recently in his help side defense, not jumping at the shot fake as much. Has the physical tools to be at least a nuisance near the rim if not a true rim protector at that level.

He'll struggle a lot against more mobile bigs, can't guard quickness on the perimeter. Even tonight, got taken off the dribble by Williams a couple times. And Williams is not an NBA athlete by any means. Kofi isn't a twitchy athlete by NBA standards. Needs a couple post moves (ok baby hook right now) and a consistent 15 footer. Hit one tonight but that was (I think) the first time he's scored with both feet outside the paint this year. Pretty much a dunker and layup only player, not sure that will translate.

20 years ago he's a lottery pick, no doubt. But the NBA has changed a lot. Who is a comp for him in the modern day NBA? Maybe Jahlil Okafor? Maybe Valenciunas? He's not nearly as quick or springy as Andre Drummond. He reminds me a bit of Caleb Swanigan, except he doesn't shoot it well.

Hopefully he'll want to take the chance and come back for next year, work on his offensive game and lateral quickness and become a lottery pick. But I will say I don't think I've ever seen a big improve as much as he has as quickly as he has at this level.
I think everyone will know more when Illinois plays Minnesota. Oturo is a clear 1st rounder. I've looked around on some draft boards and Kofi still isn't being mentioned. He'll make a lot more dough, if he hangs out 1 more year and develops into a lottery pick. Antigua is not only one of the best recruiters in the game, but also an outstanding Bigs coach.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think everyone will know more when Illinois plays Minnesota. Oturo is a clear 1st rounder. I've looked around on some draft boards and Kofi still isn't being mentioned. He'll make a lot more dough, if he hangs out 1 more year and develops into a lottery pick. Antigua is not only one of the best recruiters in the game, but also an outstanding Bigs coach.

I think Kofi will get his against Oturo because he'll be able to bully him a little. Will be an interesting matchup, as will Garza who does have the physical strength of an NBA big.

I thought Kofi struggled against Michigan State, a team with close to legit NBA bigs.

it will be interesting to see what happens, but players with Kofi's skill set don't seem to have big roles in the NBA right now.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think Kofi will get his against Oturo because he'll be able to bully him a little. Will be an interesting matchup, as will Garza who does have the physical strength of an NBA big.

I thought Kofi struggled against Michigan State, a team with close to legit NBA bigs.

it will be interesting to see what happens, but players with Kofi's skill set don't seem to have big roles in the NBA right now.
Yes. You understand what I'm saying. And I agree. I think Kofi will likely bully Oturo. We will see what happens to rebounding and such as Oturo takes Kofi away from the basket.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Sagarin Rating - #20th (up from 31)
Ken Pom - #22nd
College RPI - #38th
ESPN BPI - #25th

All bracketology wesbites have the projection from a seed of 9 to 11. Not having a signature non-conference win hurts.

We have to be higher than a 9 seed at this point.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lost in the KU-KSU brawl was that Jerrance Howard stopped that idiot from using the stool as a weapon. Well done JH