CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
B&B is very positive about this hire and I think they are actually grasping why it is a good hire.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Really?!?! ... Lol

Man, I haven't been around. My apologies to the board. Mods, can you please nuke this thread ...

I don't understand why you wouldn't have thought this wasn't already posted. Only a moron would have to post this again.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Why would you think I lived in FL?
:shrug:
I somehow have you figured as a varsity HS or perhaps Community College Head Coach for a baseball team. I thought you alluded to it but I think now I must have misinterpreted that.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
:shrug:
I somehow have you figured as a varsity HS or perhaps Community College Head Coach for a baseball team. I thought you alluded to it but I think now I must have misinterpreted that.
What's that got to do with living in FL? Perhaps all the info I had on the Rays? I do have good connections at the pro level at least better than the overwhelming majority who post here. ;)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What's that got to do with living in FL? Perhaps all the info I had on the Rays? I do have good connections at the pro level at least better than the overwhelming majority who post here. ;)

That you seem to be coaching a lot and in the midwest that really can't happen for several months a year. No biggie. I really did think though that you lived in FLA.

:lol:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow... a truly uninspiring hire.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
That you seem to be coaching a lot and in the midwest that really can't happen for several months a year. No biggie. I really did think though that you lived in FLA.

:lol:
Well I am a hitting coach and do clinics. That type of stuff is done in batting cages and gyms in the cold months.

edit: I was lightly recruited for a FL HS VC gig and turned the idea off due to family. Otherwise I would have done it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
The threads were speculation before, Gale. Now they even have a picture of Whitman and Smith signing the contracts and the introductory presser will be at 2p.
Thanks Parade.

Even though, like you said, I posted the "official" news, I still received red dot negs. The same posters over and over again ... smh.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
What's "uninspiring" about it?

Smith's HC record since 2007?

The instant national recognition?

This isn't Steve Spurrier going back to college after a very successful track record. Smith has no record to speak of at the college level and his NFL reputation has been tarnished over the past several years. I really don't think his name carries the weight you think it might ala 2005-2006.

The ability to go into any living room in America to recruit?

Again, there's no track record here to speak of. It seems like you're simply asserting it because you want it to be true. I wish the guy all the best, and hope he does well, but I just don't get the raging optimism.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Smith's HC record since 2007?

This isn't Steve Spurrier going back to college after a very successful track record. Smith has no record to speak of at the college level and his NFL reputation has been tarnished over the past several years. I really don't think his name carries the weight you think it might ala 2005-2006.

Again, there's no track record here to speak of. It seems like you're simply asserting it because you want it to be true. I wish the guy all the best, and hope he does well, but I just don't get the raging optimism.

You don't get the raging optimism because you don't understand UIUC. Everyone from the OSU boards to B&B are praising this move, yet here you are.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wow... a truly uninspiring hire.

48 hours ago, conventional thinking was:

a) Cubit would be here two years
b) We would be bad, and the rebuild wouldn't even start until 2 years from now
c) The school wouldn't make coaching changes due to budget constraints
d) The new AD was hired because he'd be happy just to have the job, and be a Yes man, and he won't be allowed to make moves
e) The Administration simply does not care about athletics and won't address them

ALL of those have been blown up with this move.

Inspiring to me!