FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Surely I'm not the only one here depressed

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Can't believe we choked so bad. I could see it against the Cards, maybe, but the fucking Mets? We let some scrub go all Babe Ruth on us.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Can't believe we choked so bad. I could see it against the Cards, maybe, but the fucking Mets? We let some scrub go all Babe Ruth on us.

Its ok man you didnt choke at all. You just got beat by a better team. No shame there.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL a better team with 7 less wins and that we swept during the regular season, surely you deserve to win this series, but everything has gone on your side, specially Bryant and Rizzo getting cold and no, they aren't cold because the Mets pitchers are too good, they have been this way for weeks now and yet we arrived this far

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
LOL a better team with 7 less wins and that we swept during the regular season, surely you deserve to win this series, but everything has gone on your side, specially Bryant and Rizzo getting cold and no, they aren't cold because the Mets pitchers are too good, they have been this way for weeks now and yet we arrived this far

3-0

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep, good luck in the WS White Sox of NY

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mets have outplayed us. Period. Its no shame to be beat. They have hot hitters and good pitching. The Cubs 3 and 4 hitter have done little all playoffs. You aren't going to win much when that happens.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Cubs haven't choked at all, Mets are playing great baseball at the right time. This isn't 03 where we had the Marlins dead to rights and choked it away. And it isn't 08 where the cubs were far and away better than the opposition. Both these teams were very good after the all star break.

Difference is cubs never had the pitching, and their situational hitting has been garbage all year. Mets have excelled in both. Nothing to be upset about. Cubs were playing with house money here, and the experience, as well as the team's weaknesses being exposed, are going to be invaluable to the players, coaches, & front office moving forward.

And the series isn't over just yet [emoji2]

Sent from my bathroom using toilet talk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Cubs haven't choked at all, Mets are playing great baseball at the right time. This isn't 03 where we had the Marlins dead to rights and choked it away. And it isn't 08 where the cubs were far and away better than the opposition. Both these teams were very good after the all star break.

Difference is cubs never had the pitching, and their situational hitting has been garbage all year. Mets have excelled in both. Nothing to be upset about. Cubs were playing with house money here, and the experience, as well as the team's weaknesses being exposed, are going to be invaluable to the players, coaches, & front office moving forward.

And the series isn't over just yet [emoji2]

Sent from my bathroom using toilet talk

No one outside of the Cub fan base thinks that.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Mets have played very well and not at all been douchebags about it. I tip my Wrigley Field commemorative hat.

This may sound sort of meatball-ish, and the numbers may not fully back me up. But this just feels like a very different team without Russell as ss.

While not exactly happy, I don't really feel depressed at all. I expect to chalk this up to experience, strengthen the starting rotation, and see something closer to playoff baseball out of these kids next year. It's not like their window is closing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mets added real players to make a play off team. Cubs just added Haren on the cheap.

That is the real reason. The Current Mets are not sustainable.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Mets have played very well and not at all been douchebags about it. I tip my Wrigley Field commemorative hat.

This may sound sort of meatball-ish, and the numbers may not fully back me up. But this just feels like a very different team without Russell as ss.

While not exactly happy, I don't really feel depressed at all. I expect to chalk this up to experience, strengthen the starting rotation, and see something closer to playoff baseball out of these kids next year. It's not like their window is closing.

Baez made a few errors and his Bat has not justified it as we thought.

But the real reason is Bryant and Rizzo's slumps. That changes the dynamic of the team.

They got cold when the weather did. End of the story.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Mets added real players to make a play off team. Cubs just added Haren on the cheap.

That is the real reason. The Current Mets are not sustainable.

The only thing the cubs would have really added at the deadline would have been pitching anyways and that hasn't been the problem. Rizzo has been a non-factor for most of the playoffs. The team as a whole hasn't executed as crisply as you need to. The talk at the deadline of adding hitting was in LF where Schwarber has been a monster this post season and CF of which Fowler has also carried the team.

I've said this else where but a lot of the cubs problem is it is hard to execute their power approach. They tied for second in walk rate at 9.1% behind the Dodgers at 9.2%. That's exceedingly a good thing. They were by far the worst in k rate at 24.5% up 1.6% on the Astros. That's an exceedingly bad thing. That also don't have a ton of speed although I was surprised to see them at 9th with 95 SB when I looked it up. Although, 17 of those are from Rizzo who I think feasted early on people not paying attention to him and 13 were Bryant who I wouldn't really characterize as a speed threat. The only other two above 10 SB were Fowler at 20 and Cogs with 11.

If you put all that together you have a team which doesn't put a ton of balls into play comparatively to other MLB teams. 33.6% of their PAs end with a walk or a K. That makes it hard to advance runners because even if you walk to get on unless it's multiple walks you're not in scoring position and roughly 1/4th of the time on average the next guy will strike out doing nothing to advance the runner. You then factor in that balls in play on average is still only .300 average and 7 out of 10 times those are outs. Long story short the team becomes essentially a 3 true outcomes team. They walk a lot, they strike out a lot, and they homer a lot.

In tight playoff games, 1 run can totally change a game. The cubs don't have many baserunners who can advance themselves or take an extra base on hits and as I just illustrated it's hard to move runners with their approach. But if they don't hit for power be it doubles or HRs then they don't typically score. There's stats flying around about this with regard to the cubs. I don't remember the exact number but it was something like 70-80% of their postseason runs have come via HRs.

So to be blunt, I'm not surprised by this outcome at all. If people were paying attention to my lengthy rants on Baez I brought this up as one of the reasons I didn't like him as a fit for the cubs. It's not that he's a terrible prospect. Instead it is that he was/is a prime example of this type of player. Clearly players like this can work as solid major leaguers. However, it's my belief you have to have more contact around them to even out the feast or famine HRs they give you. Perhaps it's just a case of rookies being rookies. Based on Soler's past in the minors I don't see any reason to expect him to k at a 30.0% rate going forward. Same goes for Russell at 28.5%, and Schwarber at 28.2%. Bryant at 30.6% is probably about right though I hold out some hope he can reign that in to the 25% range. Baez at 30% again isn't really a surprise. Hopefully he too can reign that in to the 25% range though I obviously have my doubts.

Ultimately, until they either work though some of those K issues naturally or move some parts around I expect to see series/games where they look utterly dominant and some where it just doesn't come together. It's why I had such high hopes for Alcantara because if he ever figures out how to hit offspeed stuff he can provide you with 25-30 SB and add a dynamic you are missing.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
A lot of blame to go around.

Some really bad strike 3 call's changed the game. Fowler was called out on a ball that should have put 2 runs on the board after Schwarber's HR. I saw three bad strike 3 calls. We should have had a man on base for Fowler's double, which would have put another run on the board.

Too many terrible defensive lapses (Baez, Bryant, Schwarber, Montero, etc). That cost us a few runs.

I didn't agree with Maddon taking Hendricks out so early. He was pitching pretty well.

Also Murphy is 100% on the juice. The guy hasn't hit more than 14 HR's in a single season his entire career. Now he hits 5 in consecutive games?

Kris Bryant has been absolutely atrocious.