Is it all Mitch’s fault?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lets get people on record saying it’s all Mitch’s fault. I keep seeing this claim by Mitch apologists that we think Mitch is the only one to blame, yet I haven’t seen one person say this.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
People who are leaning more to the o-line and coaching being the problem...

Should we give Mitch Trubisky an extension or 2nd contract?

Watch how many avoid answering this yes or no....but that's the right question. Everything else is spewing bullshit if you're not willing to say with any conviction that he should be extended. What's the point otherwise? Why keep trying to be contrarian and arguing whose fault it is when you wouldn't go on record as to resigning him or not?

Last edited:

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
No it's not all Mitch's fault. It's hard to say how much he's to blame, but if I had to assign percentages this is what I'd go with:

Pace - 50%. He's built a paper offense with reaches in the draft and FA that have hamstrung the team's ability to fix their current issue.

Trubisky - 30%. Nagy is not helping him out but the fact is that if Mitch was a good QB the Bears would have a winning record right now and not be out of the race for the division (realistically speaking).

Nagy - 20%. He's failed to work to the offense's strengths throughout the season. He's done this in 2 ways 1) hasn't played to Mitch's strengths, and 2) has abandoned the running game far too often.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Lets get people on record saying it’s all Mitch’s fault. I keep seeing this claim by Mitch apologists that we think Mitch is the only one to blame, yet I haven’t seen one person say this.

I'll say it. It's all Mitch's fault..... along with Pace, Nagy, Cohen, Leno, Daniels, Massie, Shaheen, Burton, Floyd, Roquan, Trevathan, Helfrich, Tabor, Hiestand, Ragone.

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
It’s not his fault that he was overdrafted. That is where the problem lies. He was a day 2 pick AT BEST. More likely a 4th through 6th rounder. The guy is in Year 3 and is still playing like a Rookie. That says it all. #2 picks should not take this long to put it all together. If he had been drafted where he should have been drafted, I don’t think the dislike for him would be as strong as it is.

So no, it’s not all Trub’s fault. A huge chunk of it lies with Pace who put him in this position.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Watch how many avoid answering this yes or no....but that's the right question. Everything else is spewing bullshit if you're not willing to say with any conviction that he should be extended. What's the point otherwise? Why keep trying to be contrarian and arguing who's fault it is when you wouldn't go on record as to resigning him?
No, you don't give him a 2nd contract.

He is not all to blame. Not even close. But a good QB overcomes other shortcomings. He has had plenty of time to prove himself and he didn't.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
In this game, everything hinges on qb play. Yeah, the oline in confused, Nagys play calling is suspect, but, when the QB is not playing at a competent level, there’s no chance of it working.
I see Mitch bail and run to the right, which seems to be his instinct, when there’s a pocket to step into. That’s on him and he’s fucking over his oline when he does it. He misses open receivers, he just panics too easily.
whatever demon has crawled into his head, he better exorcise it quickly...

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Watch how many avoid answering this yes or no....but that's the right question. Everything else is spewing bullshit if you're not willing to say with any conviction that he should be extended. What's the point otherwise? Why keep trying to be contrarian and arguing who's fault it is when you wouldn't go on record as to resigning him?
You absolutely give him a second contract. A backups contract.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It's never one persons fault for a team under performing..

However, it's all his fault!

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
No way, shape, or form is it "all Mitch's fault." With that said, QB is the piece that if you only changed 1 thing, I think would have the most impact. That's not intended to be a knock on Mitch, it's just a reality of how important the QB position is; it has unique importance across all sports.

I also think you have to separate Pace when it comes to blame. Pace is to blame for getting all of these pieces, in many ways you could say he's 100% responsible. But at the same time, he's not currently effecting the product on the field (like Nagy or the players), he's to blame on a higher, meta level than say Mitch or leno.

To answer the question in OP though, Mitch is not solely to blame, but he sure as shit has played himself out of a 2nd contract in my book. Let him sign a backup contract somewhere else and be another cities problem after 2020. If you can trade him for a ham sandwhich late round pick, even better.

TomWaddle

Liked Posts:
I don't think you can assign percentages. I don't think Mitch is going to succeed in this scheme. Does that make it his 'fault?' -- he didn't choose the scheme.

I can't really blame Pace for taking Mitch #2, a lot of experts also thought he was the best QB on the board. There is risk involved in draft choices. He made the wrong choice but it wasn't negligent. If you want to fault him for anything it should be that he did not find the right coach/scheme for his new QB and that he has not asserted himself with Nagy and forced him to make some very obvious changes.

I can't blame Nagy for installing the offense he was brought here to implement but I can blame him for not recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of his QB and for never developing a run game since he got here.

Overall we are dealing with inexperience all around. Young GM, young HC.... under a different HC I don't believe Mitch would be an MVP candidate but I think he could be middle of the pack and that coupled with a solid run game and our dominant defense would have kept us in the hunt. Nagy being unwilling to take the blinders off is the number one factor that lead to the demise of this season IMO.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I keep hearing scheme/coaching is partly to blame, the o-line is partly to blame, BUT when Trubisky is missing throws to the flat and wide open receivers, he is 100% to blame for that..........

A good QB can operate successfully with the exact same situation that Trubisky is in right now....And there is no excuse for that.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I keep hearing scheme/coaching is partly to blame, the o-line is partly to blame, BUT when Trubisky is missing throws to the flat and wide open receivers, he is 100% to blame for that..........

A good QB can operate successfully with the exact same situation that Trubisky is in right now....And there is no excuse for that.

He also has a significant role in protections and making changes.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's 100% Mitch.

Clowns think Nagy is to blame. They wring their hands because Nagy is not calling a John Fox offense. How lame that our 3rd year QB needs a pee wee league Offense because it's all he can grasp.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Of course not. The line sucks. The D really misses Hicks. The secondary has had a down year. Our receivers cannot get open. Our running backs have been disappointing.

Saying "the QB sucks" is a Bears fan's way of dealing with the fact that the overall team just isn't that good and Nagy appears to have caught lightning in a bottle in 2018-19, then lost it again. It's so much easier to dump on one guy than admit there's bigger problems.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
50% Mitch
25% Nagy
25% Other players

The QB makes everything look better, or in our case worse.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I blame the refs and fangio. Fangio kept Nagy in line on helping the defense.