Is it now likely that Kwiatkoski will get the contract and Trevathan gets let go?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He's 26, you czn spread the deal out better over more years. Am i wrong? Csn you no longer do that?

If this was a thing why hasn't any NFL GM ever done it?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He's 26, you can spread the deal out better over more years. Am i wrong? Can you no longer do that?

Whays the harm in paying a guy that proved he belongs here a conract that helps him finish his career here.
Long deals have been handed out in the past. They're usually to big name stars. Like we gave Julius Peppers a 6 year contract. And almost every one of those 6/7/8 year contracts have been a mistake. Lol. The only player I'd ever offer a huge deal like that to, would be a young franchise QB.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure they do. You see guys with backloaded deals and frontloaded deals.

Go find a 6 year deal that isn't a perennial all pro. They don't happen. He's a career back up who has looked good for 7-8 games.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Go find a 6 year deal that isn't a perennial all pro. They don't happen. He's a career back up who has looked good for 7-8 games.

Lol I can’t believe he’s still going on. The only one who agrees it would be a good idea is Nick’s mom.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I'd certainly attempt to keep him around. I think they can keep him on reasonable money. He and 57 both have filled in rather well.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

No. Hes actually looked great. Better than Trevathan did. He literally delivers in every aspect of the game and has been a complete player.

Maybe the problem is loading up stars with 6 year deals and not loading up on role players who will stick at the same time on lower salery long term deals.

If he plays great he is a steal when signed longterm.

Youre gambling on heatlh issues?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
No. Hes actually looked great. Better than Trevathan did. He literally delivers in every aspect of the game and has been a complete player.

Maybe the problem is loading up stars with 6 year deals and not loading up on role players who will stick at the same time on lower salery long term deals.

If he plays great he is a steal when signed longterm.

Youre gambling on heatlh issues?

No one does it because it's not smart, unless you are smarter than all the GMs.

He's been very good on a mediocre team for half a season, and he was a career backup who was very bad against the pass before the last 1.5 months. That's what I'm gambling on. Also even consistently good players flame out all the time.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

He's been very good on a mediocre team for half a season, and he was a career backup who was very bad against the pass before the last 1.5 months. That's what I'm gambling on. Also even consistently good players flame out all the time.

Good, to very good, no.

He looks great. And if he wasnt behknd two backup DTs and playing with dbs making busoness business decisions hed look alot better today.

I mean i was a guy who wanted him cut in preseason. But hes excellent with the 1s

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Good, to very good, no.

He looks great. And if he wasnt behknd two backup DTs and playing with dbs making busoness business decisions hed look alot better today.

I mean i was a guy who wanted him cut in preseason. But hes excellent with the 1s

I didn't want to cut him in preseason, nor do I want to extend him for 6 years. I think the reason is that I am somewhat reasonable.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I didn't want to cut him in preseason, nor do I want to extend him for 6 years. I think the reason is that I am somewhat reasonable.

Perhaps. I mean. A standard short contract might haunt you long term. Try to remember what this town was like when Kwit was a rookie and we had no depth.

It was unwatchable

shoez90

Liked Posts:
Ha 6 year. No one should take your thoughts seriously.
3 year maybe 15mil but don't get bananas with the pocket book. See if DT may restructure cuz he brings more than just physicality to team.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
3 year maybe 15mil but don't get bananas with the pocket book. See if DT may restructure cuz he brings more than just physicality to team.
Restructure what? He's a free agent.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't get caught up in arguments over 4 years vs. 6 years. The point is that most of us agree Kwiatkoski's gonna get a multi-year starting deal over Trevathan.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I wouldn't get caught up in arguments over 4 years vs. 6 years. The point is that most of us agree Kwiatkoski's gonna get a multi-year starting deal over Trevathan.
Absolutely. Both Trevathan and Kwiatkoski are going to look for starting roles next year, and to be paid like it. So unless you are only offering a one year contract, it makes better money sense to spend on the younger player.

At the same time, you have to consider roster spots in how you resign players. KPL looks like a good depth player, and Iggy is barely being paid to be a #4/ST guy. So it wouldn't seem likely that we'd resign both ILBs.

With those two points under consideration, I think it likely that Trevathan is playing elsewhere next year, and Kwiatkoski gets at least a 3 year deal to stay.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

Fair enough. He just looks like he figured it all out. And behind hicks could be a great starter in the middle.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Honestly, with how long players actually play football, a 6-year deal is such a huge investment for a team. Even if it were "team friendly" it's not even worth it if the guy is done after year 3 or 4. Which is most likely going to happen because of how physically fucked your body is while playing football. Only truly lucky players play for more than a few years.

We'll probably offer him 2-3 years. Maybe 4.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's playing at an probowl level and you can lock him up cheap. Hes also a home grown talent.

So you gamble on giving him 12m a year for 3 years in 2 years instead of 35 over 6?

Hes seen the field sparringly and been a boost to the defense all year. A strength of our defense.

What else do you want to see from the guy? Hes dominating.

You might want to be careful handing out a long term deal to a player coming off a career year in a contract year. JMHO

jive

Liked Posts:
Sign Kwiatkoski 4 year $20 mil, with a $5 mil signing bonus. Backload the contract towards the last 2 years of his contract in case he regresses, and to fit him under the cap for 2020. The guy has taken the next step, and is worthy of getting paid.