Is it okay to recline your seat on an airplane?

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
There’s been a lot of debate about this recently but I’m curious what you all have to say.

Personally I don’t recline my seat as it just doesn’t make a huge difference in terms of comfort but it is a privilege that you pay for when you buy your ticket.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I agree with the OP. I personally never recline my seat. I'm also not going to punch the back of the seat if the person in front of me reclines.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Depends. If it's a short flight, nope. If no one is behind me, I might.

If it's a long or overnight flight, yep I will definitely. Chances are nearly everyone is on those flights though from my experience.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Only assholes recline their seats. I wait till they fall asleep then I purposely go to the washroom and make sure i jostle their seat and wake thier shit up

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
This is such a stupid argument.

As a tall guy I prefer that people in front of me don't, but I also know they have the right to so I do not complain.

I mean really though, you can hardly call anything in economy class reclining anyway, the top of the seat goes back about three inches. I really think that airlines should just remove the reclining feature from the seats. It is a PITA for the stewardesses to have to walk down the aisle and bitch at like twenty people every flight that do not listen to the request to put their seats up.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is such a stupid argument.

As a tall guy I prefer that people in front of me don't, but I also know they have the right to so I do not complain.

I mean really though, you can hardly call anything in economy class reclining anyway, the top of the seat goes back about three inches. I really think that airlines should just remove the reclining feature from the seats. It is a PITA for the stewardesses to have to walk down the aisle and bitch at like twenty people every flight that do not listen to the request to put their seats up.
Or those assholes could just remove like two rows of seats and give people some leg room instead of cramming as many people into a metal tube as possible.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am sure you are willing to pay more for that though right?
Sure. 100 ppl on the flight would split the cost of those 6 ppl, seems reasonable

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Sure. 100 ppl on the flight would split the cost of those 6 ppl, seems reasonable
So why not just pay for first class if you're willing to pay more?

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So why not just for first class if you're willing to pay more?
Probably because the difference between paying a little more for coach from removing a few seats vs. how much first-class costs is massive.

Just a side note, I hate how first class spoils you. Sometimes for work I end up in first, but I refuse to shell out that kind of cash when traveling personally because I'm cheap. But sitting in coach makes me very sad. Also the lounges. Although sometimes I'll pay for day use for that if I have a long layover.

Last edited:

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
it only reclines like 2 degrees... Don't care if the guy in front of me does it, and I do it, too.
It's there to be used. If the person behind asks nice I don't mind unreclining either.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Probably because the difference between paying a little more for coach from removing a few seats vs. how much first-class costs is massive.

Just a side note, I hate how first class spoils you. Sometimes for work I end up in first, but I refuse to shell out that kind of cash when traveling personally because I'm cheap. But sitting in coach makes me very sad. Also the lounges. Although sometimes I'll pay for day use for that if I have a long layover.
Same. I’m to frugal to fly first class personally unless it’s a 10+ hour flight, then I splurge.

In my example, I was thinking average ticket cost of $300 x 6 = 1800/100 ppl would be an extra 18 bucks. Don’t think you can fly first class for 20 more dollars @Burque.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
as a tall guy, I hate when people try to recline their seats in front of me. However, they have the right to do that. I feel bad for them bc my knees will be deep on their back and they will be just as uncomfortable as I am. Half the time, the seat won't even recline if I leave my knees in place.

The guy in the video is an asshole. He could have been better about being a petty asshole. Instead of punching the back of her seat, he could have just turned his cool vent on and have it face her or press his knees into the back of her seat.

This made me wonder tho...if reclining your seat shouldn't be frowned upon, should eating ethnic food be frowned upon? should listening to loud music in my headphones be frowned upon by nearby passengers? in either of these scenarios, you are inconveniencing other passengers.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The problem is trying to find a binary answer.

Develop your better judgment, it will go a lot longer than worrying about faux pas.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I think it's okay to recline a little but not as far back as it can go. If that makes sense. Also, people who bring fast food on planes are the absolute worst.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think it's okay to recline a little but not as far back as it can go. If that makes sense. Also, people who bring fast food on planes are the absolute worst.

People who are the absolute worst on an airplane:

1. People who have 14 different things in their hands and keep forgetting something on their carry on for a flight that is 2 hours. I'm talking chips, water, airpods, neck pillow, phone, iPad, magazine, book. Like, calm TF down, it's two hours.

2. People who stand up as soon as the plan lands and starts pushing forward to the front. (Unless they are missing a connection and have told the flight attendant and they made an announcement).

3. People who clap when the plane lands.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

1. People who have 14 different things in their hands and keep forgetting something on their carry on for a flight that is 2 hours. I'm talking chips, water, airpods, neck pillow, phone, iPad, magazine, book. Like, calm TF down, it's two hours.

2. People who stand up as soon as the plan lands and starts pushing forward to the front. (Unless they are missing a connection and have told the flight attendant and they made an announcement).

1. People who stand up as soon as the plan lands and starts pushing forward to the front. (Unless they are missing a connection and have told the flight attendant and they made an announcement).
2. People who bring food on the plane, especially smelly food.
3. People who clap when it lands.

I don't mind bringing stuff. I usually bring a book/magazine and my iPad even if it's 2 hours. I also don't sleep well on planes so I need to stay busy.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I'm partially #2. As soon as the seatbelt sign goes off, I'm up like a ninja getting my shit out of the overhead bin. Especially if I have the misfortune of my stuff being a bin or two back. But then I sit the fuck down and wait for my row's turn to exit like a respectful human being.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
1. People who stand up as soon as the plan lands and starts pushing forward to the front. (Unless they are missing a connection and have told the flight attendant and they made an announcement).
2. People who bring food on the plane, especially smelly food.
3. People who clap when it lands.

I don't mind bringing stuff. I usually bring a book/magazine and my iPad even if it's 2 hours. I also don't sleep well on planes so I need to stay busy.
I don't mind people who bring things on, but be organized about it. It's the people who hold up the entire boarding process because they have so much unnecessary shit.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
lol I'm totally the bring fast food on the plane guy. Sorry not sorry Zack...I gotta eat and sometimes you don't have enough time to eat it all before you board