Is Mitch a good Quarterback (Kollmann Video)

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Regardless of what this person says, I think Mitch is a good quarterback

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I just finished watching it. It was a pretty good evaluation. I really think year 2 in the system is going to help a ton, and remove a lot of those bad Mitch moments where he's overthinking things and not seeing the field, or making bad decisions.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I just finished watching it. It was a pretty good evaluation. I really think year 2 in the system is going to help a ton, and remove a lot of those bad Mitch moments where he's overthinking things and not seeing the field, or making bad decisions.

I think allot of the frustration with fans is the two qbs taken after him are developing at a much faster rate and just are flat out better. Yeah yeah I was a Watson guy but truth is truth. It’s too bad he had to waste a year with John fox that certainly didn’t help things out. Maybe if gase was still oc things would have been different now? Who knows. Just got to give the fucker a chance it’s only year 3.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think allot of the frustration with fans is the two qbs taken after him are developing at a much faster rate and just are flat out better. Yeah yeah I was a Watson guy but truth is truth. It’s too bad he had to waste a year with John fox that certainly didn’t help things out. Maybe if gase was still oc things would have been different now? Who knows. Just got to give the fucker a chance it’s only year 3.
Actually, they're not developing faster. They simply had a head start. Doesn't mean Mitch will get to the same level of play but certainly doesn't mean he won't either. I doubt any young QB ever catches Mahomes but where Mitch ends up relative to Watson is still in question. In fact, I could argue that Watson hasn't shown any development other than adjusting to nfl game speed for his few games in 2017. Mahomes development was about sitting and watching/learning how to run the O for a year. His play has also been rather static though at an extremely high level.

Mitch on the other hand, has shown clear improvement over his 2 years. Does it mean he'll continue to improve? Not necessarily but we can assume he should under his current circumstances. I think the better question is how much?

To be determined.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As for the Mechanics, Kollman isn't wrong about his mechanics but he could make those throws more consistently before they worked on his mechanics. Mitch can also generate more velocity with his flaws than Manning could with perfect mechanics. He came from college with a narrower stance and swinging those hips more to throw but even that was sporatic yet his passing was much more consistent because he wasn't trying to use perfect mechanics.

Early hip release is something he does less of with his new mechanics but it's not about leading with your hips as much as getting used to something and being consistent. Lots of different swings on the PGA that get consistent results. It's also why he plays better at crunch time. He stops trying to be perfect and just plays. The twain should meet at some point but we'll have to wait and see. Most of his misses are passes he wants to drop in. He overthrows them and it's not about generating more velocity with his hips. He's got plenty. It's more about just relying on his natural ability and to stop trying to do everything perfectly... I think. That and seeing things early enough to take away any indecision.

I've been harping on that he's far enough along that the staff should stop working with his mechanics, let him find his equilibrium and just let him play. I could be wrong but he does seem to play better when he just needs to make something happen.

As for the Ram game, no amount of hip swing will fix a restricted shoulder. I think evaluating anything under those circumstances is a mistake. Kollmann is definitely on to something but I have doubts about the fix. I suspect that stopping trying to fix things is the fix.

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I like brett's videos but the dude is stubborn. His refusal to admit that Goff is just a product of Mcvay and him automatically assuming the Rams would beat us again because "Mcvay is too smart to be beaten twice" made me laugh

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pretty good analysis that highlights what I have been saying all along. People like to get excited about his clutch play but it is the silly mistakes he makes early in the game that digs the very holes he then needs to try and get out of.

Glad he illustrated this using the Philly game as a better performance early and Philly likely never has a chance to take the lead.

Going forward, he needs to master the small moments so that the big moments are few and far between.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like brett's videos but the dude is stubborn. His refusal to admit that Goff is just a product of Mcvay and him automatically assuming the Rams would beat us again because "Mcvay is too smart to be beaten twice" made me laugh
We beat him without a QB.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think QB mechanics are overrated. The best QBs can make throws off their back foot, with guys in their face, scrambling, etc. Mechanics arent perfect in those situations.

To me, what matters more is if a QB is a naturally accurate passer and if he can master the offense and adjust to the speed of the NFL. That allows his natural ability to take over.

MECHANICS CAN HELP. But they are not the "be all, end all" of QB success.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty good analysis that highlights what I have been saying all along. People like to get excited about his clutch play but it is the silly mistakes he makes early in the game that digs the very holes he then needs to try and get out of.

Glad he illustrated this using the Philly game as a better performance early and Philly likely never has a chance to take the lead.

Going forward, he needs to master the small moments so that the big moments are few and far between.
He said 5 min earlier and that narrative is red herring anyway. Mitch did not miss or attempt that throw earlier in the quarter. He was simply trying to make a point and we all know Mitch was meh early. So what? He played well overall for the amount of of pressure he was seeing. Philly simply outcoached us in the 1st 1/2 but we were winning anyway.

For the record, if you look at Mitch's splits, his 1st 1/2 ratting was better than his 2nd 1/2 rating for the year. His 1st qrt being a 111 so the idea that he's he's not as good outside of crunch time is a false narrative by Kollman. He does seem to rise to occasions when needed but the notion that he's putting the team in a hole early is just wrong. I'm not defending Mitch's inconsistency here but much of what's stated about the conditions and reasons for it are incongruent.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He said the previous drive which was part of a VG 4th quarter. He also credited him with doing enough to win.

Yes and if he had made the correct read at the correct time on a play that is a staple of the offense then the game is probably over. It is an easy read and ARob was actually more open on that play than he was on the final drive when Trubs hit him.

In the Philly tape thread I also pointed out other times early in that game where he took too long to throw and the pass rush got to him when in reality the ball should have been out at the end of the drop.

He has to get more consistent particularly on standard plays that give him all the info he needs to often times know where the ball is suppose to go before it is even snapped.

Until then he will be in this middle ground of playing well enough to win late while playing poor enough to lose early. If we need him to play well late to win it should be because he has to pick up the slack of others not because he missed easy throws or easy reads early that cost us points.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I added to my post. It was a false narrative trying to make a point not based in fact. That throw he made was also not an easy read and forced ball because he had no choice due to time of game and running out of time. It was a small hole he threaded on that one.
That he played that well in the 2nd 1/2 with a lead and they still lost should tell you that not every loss is on the QB.

Last edited:

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
2 words . Javier Baez.

Remember when tons of people wanted to trade Baez? Didn't think he would pan out? Where are we now in 2019 with Baez? Oh, he's just the face of the Cubs.

Mitch can be there right like that. He has shown flashes. As said by some posters, let him know without hesitation, the offense. Let him know why and how, and he can kill it. Jeez, he already has been to the Pro Bowl.

We can win the whole dang thing with Mitch. Bring it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I added to my post. It was a false narrative trying to make a point not based in fact. That throw he made was also not an easy read and forced ball because he had no choice due to time of game and running out of time. It was a small hole he threaded on that one.
That he played that well in the 2nd 1/2 with a lead and they still lost should tell you that not every loss is on the QB.

Kollman specifically said 2nd quarter mitch as the bad version so think he knows he is better in 1st quarter.

That throw was an easy read when he missed it prior to the Eagles TD drive. He explained why it was an easy read and the window was even bigger. I already said the throw he made on the last drive was tougher as the window was smaller but the point being made is that he should have hit the one prior to the Eagles drive.

What makes it easy is the fact it is a staple so he should have seen all the different types of D run against it and because the motion reveals they are bracketing Cohen. So yes it is an easy read and instead he holds the ball at the end of the drop instead of throwing it on time.

He did the same thing all game from time to time. Philly pass rush was good but often times Trubs reached the end of the drop and still had ball in his hands and not because windows were not there but because his reads are inconsistent. If I am running the same play 5 times in a game, particularly one that reveals coverage pre snap then you have to be faster in your read. That is the whole point of the play design.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
2 words . Javier Baez.

Remember when tons of people wanted to trade Baez? Didn't think he would pan out? Where are we now in 2019 with Baez? Oh, he's just the face of the Cubs.

Mitch can be there right like that. He has shown flashes. As said by some posters, let him know without hesitation, the offense. Let him know why and how, and he can kill it. Jeez, he already has been to the Pro Bowl.

We can win the whole dang thing with Mitch. Bring it.

Lol, well, two words. Jay. Cutler.

I'm not ruling Mitch out and I'm going to be all in for him this year. Honestly, the alternatives involve going back to being shit again for a long time hoping to get a high draft pick in time for Trevor Lawrence...lol.

I like this video though, Kollmann didn't pull any punches and was brutally honest. During this last season I felt like there were some mega-homers who where in flat out denial about the accuracy issues. Like, "all QBs make bad throws," or deflecting with "Mitch extending drives with his legs" ....like it negates the accuracy issues.

I'm glad he pointed out how often Mitch missed Antmil last year...it really was an every week issue for a while. Kollman said he probably screwed Miller out of another 300 yards receiving. I think the mega-homers have to hear stuff like this to get the blinders off.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I could argue that Watson hasn't shown any development other than adjusting to nfl game speed for his few games in 2017.

He was one of the leaders in the MVP conversation in 2017 before his injury. The fact that his numbers in 2018 only equalled, rather than improved upon, his 2017 season is hardly a criticism considering that he was excellent from the get go.

If Mahomes only throws 48 tds this year will the CCS narrative be that he's regressing?

It's astounding the mental gymnastics posters go through to convince themselves that we really didn't get the third best QB from that class despite picking the first one.

Last edited: