Is Mitch a good Quarterback (Kollmann Video)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
See previous comment>>>>#244
Anyway...
Mahommes & Watson had all these attributes plus the experience / accomplishments, high ceiling etc. to back it up coming outta' college.
---------
We're not gonna agree on this.
There's no way any objective GM puts / trades up for a Qb with one yr. of experience and a bowl loss to a team with a substandard "D", over a decorated, winning Qb with with 3yrs. high level starting experience and a1-1 National Champion record. Fact.

We have Trubz, so we roll with it and hope we can get to the SB with him....like did we with McMahon

This argument us beyond dumb. Other teams had Trubs as top QB as well and I say that as a Watson fan that thought the trade up one spot was dumb.

Anyways no point debating this aburdity.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This argument us beyond dumb. Other teams had Trubs as top QB as well and I say that as a Watson fan that thought the trade up one spot was dumb.

And see this post>>>#142 ***
-----------
Anyway, It is absurd....some of the pundits / Other teams once had Tim Couch, head & shoulders above all other Qb's in the 1999 draft (incl. McNabb).
Same draft....Other teams once had Cade McNown head & shoulders above all other Qb's as a so-called, top, pro-ready Qb.

Over many yrs., I've watched lots of so-called, top, pro-ready Qb's get jammed down the fans throats around draft time. Or the media pundits / Other teams will pick one so-called, top, pro-ready Qb and jam him down the fans throats around draft time.

More often than not they were wrong.

Again....
We have Trubz, so we roll with it and hope we can get to the SB with him....like did we with McMahon

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No college program gets more players overdrafted than Bama. That isn't to say they aren't good, just overrated.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I mean he dropped it right over the top of the defender in the bread basket. It’s comical you put any blame on Trubisky for that play.

It Mitch throws an accurate ball and leads him farther, there is no injury. You don't want that pass into his body, he had a defender all over him, throw it farther back in the end zone away from the defender so Zach can separate.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
-----------
Anyway, It is absurd....some of the pundits / Other teams once had Tim Couch, head & shoulders above all other Qb's in the 1999 draft (incl. McNabb).
Same draft....Other teams once had Cade McNown head & shoulders above all other Qb's as a so-called, top, pro-ready Qb.

Over many yrs., I've watched lots of so-called, top, pro-ready Qb's get jammed down the fans throats around draft time. Or the media pundits / Other teams will pick one so-called, top, pro-ready Qb and jam him down the fans throats around draft time.

More often than not they were wrong.

Again....

And some teams and pundits had JaMarcus Russell as the No 1 pick in the NFL draft. Not sure your point. Has nothing to do with race.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure why you guys debated for over a page on Mitch's accuracy concerns. He's still learning the O. Of course he will have misses now & then. We've yet to see him at his postgrad A game.

For ~ half of last year, he was still running scripted plays out of the gate FFS. WAAAAY diff. than a QB knowing the O well enough to make pre-snap audibles and checks all over the damn place like this O is designed to. Give him some time people. Nagy said 3 years. Come Sept. it will have been just 1. Interviews and observations are all sounding positive. We'll just have to wait and see how much his "sophomore" year with Nagy goes. No doubt boy scout Trubs has done his homework. DM on the other hand IS an Eagle scout.

Also good that most of Mitch's "easy" bad misses to open guys were overthrows (higher floor/less risk) of INTs than Cutty & others.

Despite those misses last year, they went 12-5. No way Mitch doesn't improve at least SOME, esp. with a run game now having weapons to fit the designed roll outs, tosses, options, etc. that Howard didn't allow Nagy/Mitch to use. TE use will be interesting to see also. Simms dropped some perfect balls last season before IR/benched. He killed 2 drives wk 1 vs. GB with that crap. Addition by subtraction there.

Much TBD, but many reasons to be cautiously optimistic, or at least to not freak out just yet.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
See previous comment>>>>#244
Anyway...
Mahommes & Watson had all these attributes plus the experience / accomplishments, high ceiling etc. to back it up coming outta' college.
---------
We're not gonna agree on this.
There's no way any objective GM puts / trades up for a Qb with one yr. of experience and a bowl loss to a team with a substandard "D", over a decorated, winning Qb with with 3yrs. high level starting experience and a1-1 National Champion record. Fact.

Is that why AJ McCarron was the #1 pick? Wait a sec!

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Agree. If Trubisky was killing it right now and Watson looked errant, people would literally be using the exact opposite argument in a hindsight 20/20, saying, "You obviously take the guy with the physical tools and higher upside/potential, because look how great Mitch is killing it right now."

It's all results-based bullshit. However the situation ended up if exactly how someone saw it ending up two years ago, and they fill in the reasons later. I'm not going to go back and retcon threads to see who's bullshitting and who's not, but I do know that the vast majority of people believed Trubisky was going to be the first QB off the board because of his skillset and upside. And he was. You can say that while still acknowledging that Mahomes is a beast and Watson looks really good.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
It's out:

The video was full of 'content', but thought the 'analysis' was somewhat pointless. It was like watching a TV show every week, then for some reason after 5 episodes they decide to give a 'recap' show. Yeah, great. We already know what happened. It's not that difficult to figure out. This year will be big in the Trubisky analysis!

We've have this exact same discussion every week, and they all 'devo' into talk about Deshaun Watson being overrated.

Here is what I said last week about this:

TBH, I think QB mechanics are overrated. They are used as a way to explain success/failure/variance, but you can't really find any statistical correlation.

I think a baseball pitcher is different...they are performing in a closed environment and mechanical repetition is important. I think you can find statistical correlation between bad pitching mechanics and bad pitching performance.

Football QB is different. So much of it is decision-making and timing of your throw. DLs are trying to tackle you, so its impossible to have mechanical repetition.

Favre was usually backpedaling when he threw his passes...he avoided DLs falling into his legs and was almost never injured, but it was 'bad mechanics'. I think when Bill Walsh was GM of the Niners, he drafted Jim Druckenmiller of VT really high because he loved Druckenmiller's "mechanics", but he was too robotic to play in the NFL and was bad at making decisions.

I think one interesting tidbit is that Trubisky is at his best when he is working off of Nagy's script. Not sure if that is reflective of Trubisky not really knowing the offense, or if the offense overall simply works better with scripted plays, or what.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Tbf, I did wish death on Cutler a few times, I never saw the national media do that unfortunately.

Cutler was a non-entity to the national media...just some guy who QB'd for an NFL team. The only time I ever saw Cutler get national news was when he signed the Cliff Stein contract, and even then the news was really more about the lunacy of Cliff Stein than anything Cutler did or accomplished.

People turned on Eli Manning and Mark Sanchez in New York immediately after they won Super Bowls and playoff games. If Cutler had been on the Giants or Jets, he would have been run out of town in 3 years. In Chicago, every year was a new excuse as to why Cutler didn't accomplish anything.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler got media attention when he shoved Webb, then when he tied his shoe, and then when he ignored a groundskeeper when he walked past him.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
And some teams and pundits had JaMarcus Russell as the No 1 pick in the NFL draft. Not sure your point. Has nothing to do with race.

Not gonna do the race bait.
see this post>>>#142 ***

Again....

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Not sure the point of any of this. Good to know that if a team has a QB "head & shoulders above all other QBs", then the use of the term "top QB" is so questionable that its bolded, as if a QB who is far superior to other QBs isn't a "top" QB.

As for McNown, I don't remember any team/person/entity calling him head & shoulders the best QB in that 1999 draft. The fact that 4 QBs were selected before him seems to bear this out, but I'd be interested to see what you actually are referring to. Please post link. I do agree that McNown's best selling point was the fact that he played in a pro-style offense in a Power 5 conference.

Tim Couch was the first product of the Mumme/Leach Air Raid offense, and people were skeptical of his weak arm and the fact that 74% of his passes traveled less than 10 yards. He definitely wasn't viewed as being head & shoulders better than all the other QBs in the draft.

https://www.si.com/vault/1999/04/19...orn-between-passers-tim-couch-and-akili-smith

So basically nothing you said was true.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure the point of any of this. Good to know that if a team has a QB "head & shoulders above all other QBs", then the use of the term "top QB" is so questionable that its bolded, as if a QB who is far superior to other QBs isn't a "top" QB.

As for McNown, I don't remember any team/person/entity calling him head & shoulders the best QB in that 1999 draft. The fact that 4 QBs were selected before him seems to bear this out, but I'd be interested to see what you actually are referring to. Please post link. I do agree that McNown's best selling point was the fact that he played in a pro-style offense in a Power 5 conference.

Tim Couch was the first product of the Mumme/Leach Air Raid offense, and people were skeptical of his weak arm and the fact that 74% of his passes traveled less than 10 yards. He definitely wasn't viewed as being head & shoulders better than all the other QBs in the draft.

https://www.si.com/vault/1999/04/19...orn-between-passers-tim-couch-and-akili-smith

So basically nothing you said was true.

Its been a while but I recall McNown being called the most "pro-ready"...I believe Bob Toledo at UCLA ran a more pro-style offense at the time.

That being said McNown was not expected to start right away....He had a problem staying in the pocket.