Is Mitch Trubisky's scouting report proof that Nagy should have autonomy?

Southside

Liked Posts:
Question guys, I remember that when Trubisky was first drafted, most of the mock draft reporters and scouts had him going as the first QB. Ryan Pace's job overall is in a good position because he's hired a good coach and has done very well building up an elite defense. So he theoritically Pace can survive the disasterous Trubisky era pick and not get fired and he will get a second shot at drafting a QB. However, does the Trubisky pick prove that Pace should step aside and let Nagy have full autonomy to pick the next QB or are you comfortable with Pace making the decision?

Secondly, I dont think that Pace is racist, Pace went with the "safe pick". But I do think that scouts force black QBs to prove themselves more. Because in an alternative reality where Mitch Trubisky is black and his name is "Marcus Thomas" instead then his scouting report would be:

- Raw prospect who needs to stay in college another year
- Relies too much on athleticism
- Has great stats but against questionable competition

Trubisky started less games than Mahomes and Watson. If Mahomes and Watson were white but Mitch was black, they'd say Mitch needs to stay in college longer. Mitch was praised for being a mobile QB in college, but if he's black they'd say he "uses his atheliticism" too much and he should "run less, because he'll get hurt in the NFL". Mitch was very accurate in college and had a great TD to INT ratio, but if he were black the scouts would have questioned his competition due to the fact that the ACC has a lot of weak programs. Remember that Mahomes was criticized for playing in the Big 12, because the scouts thought that the Big 12 was a "gimmick conference". Watson also played in the same conference as Mitch which in retrospect makes the Mitch selection over Watson even WORSE than Mitch going before Mahomes. If Watson is white and Mitch is black, maybe Watson goes before him?

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
If Mitch was black instead of white, would you be dogging him like this?

maybe YOU'RE the racist
This is a very dumb and poorly thought out response to the OP. Although I do think the OP is pointless and not really worth discussing at this point anyway

Mitch sucks, that’s why picking him where they did over Watson and Mahomes is being called into question. If he was black instead of white he’d still be getting railed for not playing up to expectations

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'll stay clear of the race stuff, but as to your first point, I said this yesterday. Yes Nagy should be the one picking the next QB, not Pace. It's not just Trubisky, Pace also considered Mike Glennon someone he was always interested in going back to his time in New Orleans, and was keen to sign.

As well as he's done with the defense, he's clearly a shitty QB evaluator and I would feel better about him having no part in deciding who the next one should be.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think Watson would have been the safer choice. Lots of big game experience, winning on the biggest stage, I feel like his floor was the highest of the three.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Wat8.jpg

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think Watson would have been the safer choice. Lots of big game experience, winning on the biggest stage, I feel like his floor was the highest of the three.

My big issue with Watson was his INTs. We just came out of the Cutler era where people started 11 threads a day about how much Cutler sucked. I was really worried that Watson was gonna be a 20 INT guy and I'd have to hear about it all day long here.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, this place has fucking RUINED me.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Been here, done this. Unless you think Pace is a fool, you would understand that Nagy will have the greater say about who's at QB from here on out.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
My big issue with Watson was his INTs. We just came out of the Cutler era where people started 11 threads a day about how much Cutler sucked. I was really worried that Watson was gonna be a 20 INT guy and I'd have to hear about it all day long here.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, this place has fucking RUINED me.

Yeah, and he still usually has a couple wtf throws per game. Still I think you knew what he was more than the other two and could live with those throws as long as he brought the good as well.

I did prefer Trubisky, slightly, and I would have been alright with either. I barely even paid attention to Mahomes.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nagy should be given the chance to select the next QB and I think Nagy isn't a racist so he may even take a black QB. Let Pace and the scouting department continue to find gems in the 4th/5th rounds.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
Mitchell Trubisky is the greatest quarterback to ever live. We don’t need a next QB.

We need to stop using the phrase "next guy" and start using "next player!" That's right; let's stop using the phrase "next guy" and start using the phrase "next player!" If I don't know a new guy that I want, I won't waste five minutes looking over a few guys in the draft. If he's a great, young passer, I won't waste another minute in my search.

With that mentality, I'm 100 percent sure we won't need a quarterback during our second draft. Let's put that in our head right now: We shouldn't know a new guy we want. If we don't know a new guy, we shouldn't draft him. A team doesn't want to waste too much time on finding a guy just so they can move up in the draft and potentially replace a great, young player with an even better, young player. We can't do that. So for next year's draft, don't draft a guy just because he's a guy. That's how the draft was meant to be

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, and he still usually has a couple wtf throws per game. Still I think you knew what he was more than the other two and could live with those throws as long as he brought the good as well.

I did prefer Trubisky, slightly, and I would have been alright with either. I barely even paid attention to Mahomes.

Watson is a bigger playmaker than Trubisky is right now. And he might always be. I think the most unfortunate thing with Trubisky is the amount of patience everyone needs while we wait for him to develop. I still don't think we've seen his ceiling. But if a QB needs 3-4 years to develop, that's not an ideal situation for people that want to win NOW, especially with how amazing this defense is.

I do think it's funny how much people whine about how we could have had Mahomes. Yet only a couple of people here were talking about him. It was 98% Trubisky or Watson.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Question guys, I remember that when Trubisky was first drafted, most of the mock draft reporters and scouts had him going as the first QB. Ryan Pace's job overall is in a good position because he's hired a good coach and has done very well building up an elite defense. So he theoritically Pace can survive the disasterous Trubisky era pick and not get fired and he will get a second shot at drafting a QB. However, does the Trubisky pick prove that Pace should step aside and let Nagy have full autonomy to pick the next QB or are you comfortable with Pace making the decision?

Secondly, I dont think that Pace is racist, Pace went with the "safe pick". But I do think that scouts force black QBs to prove themselves more. Because in an alternative reality where Mitch Trubisky is black and his name is "Marcus Thomas" instead then his scouting report would be:

- Raw prospect who needs to stay in college another year
- Relies too much on athleticism
- Has great stats but against questionable competition

Trubisky started less games than Mahomes and Watson. If Mahomes and Watson were white but Mitch was black, they'd say Mitch needs to stay in college longer. Mitch was praised for being a mobile QB in college, but if he's black they'd say he "uses his atheliticism" too much and he should "run less, because he'll get hurt in the NFL". Mitch was very accurate in college and had a great TD to INT ratio, but if he were black the scouts would have questioned his competition due to the fact that the ACC has a lot of weak programs. Remember that Mahomes was criticized for playing in the Big 12, because the scouts thought that the Big 12 was a "gimmick conference". Watson also played in the same conference as Mitch which in retrospect makes the Mitch selection over Watson even WORSE than Mitch going before Mahomes. If Watson is white and Mitch is black, maybe Watson goes before him?
Mahomes is mixed race.

JTaylor072

Liked Posts:
Pace isn't a racist. Most 'white' people in football just like most 'white' people in the world are not racist. But I would say especially more in sports, because when you play sports with people of different races you learn more about those people and their cultures and you also build a brotherhood with them. I can tell you as a 'white' guy born and raised in the rural south where there are definitely pockets of racism - my 'white' brothers that played sports growing up - even if their entire families are racist, ended up not being so..... I've always felt sports and especially football transcend and even help reduce racism.

I have lifelong friends who are 'black' that I became brothers with on the high school football field. They would even say the same in reverse. That they have pockets of racism in their 'black' communities, but those that play sports and get to know 'white' people thru them, generally are a lot less prone to being a racist.

As for the football and QB position - Pace is a very good talent evaluator - but his track record at QB is not good. So he should take the advice of a guy who seems to intricately know QB play - especially within the system he runs. I would trust Nagy to even still be able to help Trubisky reach that level, but if he is incapable to improve Trubs - Nagy will be the best option to pick the next QB.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do think it's funny how much people whine about how we could have had Mahomes. Yet only a couple of people here were talking about him. It was 98% Trubisky or Watson.
I remember there were some people who were really high on Mahomes. That year, I watched his highlights, and I remember commenting that Mahomes mechanics were terrible and I wanted no part of that in the NFL. I thought he would be a boom or bust player. Some guys thought, if his mechanics were this bad and he still put up points, imagine what he could do if they fixed his mechanics. So kudos to the few who called it on Mahomes. I prefered Watson bc I saw Trubisky play against the terrible Illini defense and he never wowd me even though he had a good game.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Absolutely, Pace needs to step aside and let Nagy pick the next QB.

We have this paradigm around here that "Pace is good with late round picks," but I don't know if that's really true, and perhaps it's time to look closer at that.

I hear a lot of complaints about the o-line, and a lot of Pace's late round picks are on that same o-line. So if he's not good with 1st round picks, and he's not good with 2nd and later????????????????????

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot more to consider with a competent GM, but maybe his drafting ability needs to be looked at again.

Kevin White, Mitch Trubisky, Adam Shaheen, James Daniels & Leno (the complaints are mouting), AntMill (Steve Smith anyone?) Floyd (constantly disappears), Cohen (gadget back being a focus on offense is a joke.)

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolutely, Pace needs to step aside and let Nagy pick the next QB.

We have this paradigm around here that "Pace is good with late round picks," but I don't know if that's really true, and perhaps it's time to look closer at that.

I hear a lot of complaints about the o-line, and a lot of Pace's late round picks are on that same o-line. So if he's not good with 1st round picks, and he's not good with 2nd and later????????????????????

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot more to consider with a competent GM, but maybe his drafting ability needs to be looked at again.

Kevin White, Mitch Trubisky, Adam Shaheen, James Daniels & Leno (the complaints are mouting), AntMill (Steve Smith anyone?) Floyd (constantly disappears), Cohen (gadget back being a focus on offense is a joke.)
Leno was drafted in what the 7th round?

Youre being overly critical of Floyd. He has played well this season.

James Daniels is what 23?

Come on man.....

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The idea that Floyd constantly disappears only seems valid if someone truly doesn't understand football. Although he hasn't been spectacular by any means, he's been good.

Cohen is one of the best fourth round picks - objectively, using his stats as well as the eye test - of the last five years. A few mediocre games doesn't diminish that to any serious degree.

Leno wasn't even Pace's pick and, ironically, has been a decent starting LT as a 7th round pick for 4-5 years. There's literally no logic-based way to use him as a negative example.

In fact literally none of Pace's late round picks are currently on the OL, unless you consider the 2nd round late. Daniels has struggled this year, but he showed promise lat year and is less than a month over 22.

I think you'd also have to put his drafting within the context of what other GMs have done; just listing his failures and potential failures as though he is supposed to bat 100% is a ridiculous exercise.

So why don't you actually take the time to look closer at it, as you suggest it's time to do.