Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Team is winning in spite of him, so it seems. When given enough time to game plan, he falls flat on his face.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me, a good head coach does the following:

1. Makes great in-game adjustments and is great at time management throughout the game.
2. Can call plays on one side of the ball successfully utilizing the talent he is given by the GM. If they don't call plays, they have the ability to step in from time to time and takeover those duties successfully.
3. Gets the team playing hard and focused. This of course means a low # penalties.
4. Rallies the troops to play inspired football with high energy.
5. Has the stones to make the tough decisions.
6. Keep outside distractions out of the clubhouse and protect and serve the club inside.

So far, Matt isn't really checking enough of those boxes for me to qualify as a "Good" head coach. I believe he has potential but this isn't JV football. Time to win, lower the penalties, and play a full 60 minutes on both sides of the ball. His play-calling is super suspect and changes need to be made over this hyper-critical bye week.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
He seems to be a great leader of men. The guys wanna play for him. His play calling is the part that's super questionable.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Can we get Trestman as our OC and Lovie as our DC?

Yogi

Liked Posts:
He doesn’t make a lot of obvious blunder decisions in games like you see a lot of other coaches make. I live in Nashville and have to watch Mike Vrabel coach like he had too many concussions in his career.

This week it was attempting a 53yd field goal on 4th and 4 with 6min left and down by 7, with a kicker who was already 0-3 on the day (BAD misses, too).

Last week it was going for it on 4th and short from the ATL 10 with 13min left and up by 14, when a chip shot would have made it a three score game. Instead, didn’t make the 1st and gifted the Falcons some much needed life.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Yes overall. He's a very good coach as it relates to the jimmys and joes and connecting with the players.

When he doesn't have a QB who can run his system, though, he's very below-average at the X's and O's.

May not be fair. This offense no doubt would be much better with a better QB. But I don't think Nagy's a good enough schemer to make up for the low-quality QB play.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
OP: "Is Nagy a good coach?"

Me: "We're about ready to find out. He is at a major crossroads in his career here imo"

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Is Nagy a good HC? Yes
Is he a good play caller? At the moment, I'd say no. But he seemed better last year. I think he needs to yield the OPC to the OC for a bit, or get it together.

Reactions: DC

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He's been decent as a HC so far. I think he needs to study NFL defensive philosophies more deeply, and maybe he wouldn't feel the need to resort to odd formations, and gimmicks quite as often.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes.

He is a pretty shitty OC.
It does seem that way at times but it's being compounded by his desire to stay the course and get his O installed. My issue is that he needs certain players for his O instead of having an O built to his players which is a sign of great coaching. Hopefully he does more of that once he feels his foundation is there.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
How do we know the play calling is bad? That’s difficult to assess for the most part, that being said I do believe there have been some bad third and short play calls.

but looking at tape, the offensive line has been horrible and add the amount of penalties and you have a recipe for disaster. The penalties have got to stop!

Nagy has got to get the line back to basics and make some changes to personnel to at minimum send a message to guys.

longs play is concerning but he look to be trying hard, Leno doesn’t seem to me to be trying very hard. Some of these mistakes look so awful and very hard to understand, they look so obvious. How hard is it to at least see the field. I don’t get it

very frustrating to watch must be driving Nagy fucking bonkers!

wisconsinbearsfan

Liked Posts:
No, he's not good. Imagine if the defense was average- his record as a coach would be 8-13. Without the top defense, we would have lost to the Seahawks, Cardinals, Lions on the road, Rams, Packers at home, 49ers, and Broncos this season.

Thanks for this poll, shows that 75% of this fanbase are idiots.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Good coach, unpredictable play calling, hates to lose. Wish Arians had a chance before Nagy

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, he's not good. Imagine if the defense was average- his record as a coach would be 8-13. Without the top defense, we would have lost to the Seahawks, Cardinals, Lions on the road, Rams, Packers at home, 49ers, and Broncos this season.

Thanks for this poll, shows that 75% of this fanbase are idiots.

Imagine if the offense was good.

Imagine if we drafted Mahomes.

We don’t need to imagine, just assess what is actually happening. He does not get half points for the defense he is there coach.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he is young and still learning. He has a good skill set for the job, understands football, and is paying attention to all available thinking and gaining experience as fast as his young Qb. Trubisky wasn't his mistake but he is trying to clean it up and make it work to the best of his ability.

His o-line was inherited and blows. How is that on him? He didn't select his o-line coach, the Bears had a guy for him they knew. He accepted the Bears guy for DC and worked well with him.

He changed the culture, he hasn't lost by more than 7.

I have full confidence he is learning on the job every week.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Yes overall. He's a very good coach as it relates to the jimmys and joes and connecting with the players.

When he doesn't have a QB who can run his system, though, he's very below-average at the X's and O's.

May not be fair. This offense no doubt would be much better with a better QB. But I don't think Nagy's a good enough schemer to make up for the low-quality QB play.

I don’t think this opinion is outlandish but I do feel it isn’t fair. When you go back and watch the tape, Nagy continues to draw up plays that gets guys wide open. You see time after time, Mitch/Daniel doesn’t see the target. Mitch overthrows or misses a wide open guy. The ball is about to be delivered to a wide open guy and then long gets pushed back like a red headed step child who didn’t clean his room. Guy is wide open for a big gainer and Mitch checks it down for -2 yards. Multiple guys open and Daniel throws it directly to the defense. 1st down! Wait, Leno was holding because well....why not? Mitch/Daniel delivers a perfect pass, yes! Dropped by the receiver.

Is Nagy a perfect play caller? Obviously not. He has room to grow. No play caller calls a perfect game. But Jesus fuck, he gets absolutely ZERO help from his QB or OL. Or WRs, RBs, and TEs for that matter. Sans allen Robinson and Gabriel for about 2 quarters. Easy to look at the raw numbers and critique Nagy. When you actually watch the games and look at that tape, very hard to put this on Nagy. He’s not without fault...but if guys did their job, this wouldn’t even be a discussion. It’s ludicrous we’re even talking about this.

wisconsinbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I have full confidence he is learning on the job every week.

“I learned nothing from last year because last year went pretty well,” Nagy said. “It went smooth, and that’s just how it goes sometimes. We were fortunate with injuries, we were fortunate with building trust, we were fortunate with building the culture, relationships."

Well, so much for learning every week.

We don’t need to imagine, just assess what is actually happening. He does not get half points for the defense he is there coach.

Nagy has zero input on the defense. He doesn't get credit from me for Fangio's/Pagano's defense winning games in his offense's place.

If you gave Mahomes to Nagy, the offense would still be one-dimensional and rely on Mahomes to make incredible plays. That's not the formula for a top offense. Nagy still has yet to prove he can scheme a running game and open up the play-action. His job would be easier if he had Mahomes, but Pace didn't hire him because the job was easy.

I'm sure Nagy expected better play from his O-line, but now it's his job to help find a fix for that as well. Rashaad Coward should have obviously started over Kyle Long against the Raiders, and if it happens again, it's more than just a mistake. Looking at how Long played against the Redskins, it already appears to be more than just a mistake.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Until the OL steps up, it's really difficult to evaluate this O.