Is run game really improved?

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Charted the runs yesterday in my Nagy thread. Split them into 2 categories.... 1) dual back I-formation type runs with Holtz as a lead blocker and 2) all the other single back/shotgun RPO garbage runs Nagy uses.

Category 1 = 7.6 ypc
Category 2 = 3.6 ypc (which includes the fluke 55 yarder)
Although if you want to be more realistic and remove the fluke outlier that drops to 1.6 ypc.

Any person with half a brain that watches the all-22 should be able to see that the OL is terrible at executing the RPO runs with all the smoke and mirrors. It's plain as fucking day to see on tape. We got guys pulling and running into each other, tripping over each other, running into space looking around not knowing who to block and blocking no one at all... it's a literal shitshow.

Where as the straight forward hat on hat power runs with a lead blocker are able to be executed successfully with minimal mistakes as we just saw this week vs LA.

So clearly the problem here is Matt Nagy and his stubborn refusal to abandon his preferred scheme. It's not that that Bears lack an identity offensively, it's that the identity that Matt Nagy wants this team to have is not compatible with his roster. He does not have the talent at OL to execute his RPO run game successfully nor does he have the talent at QB to sit back in shotgun all day and sling it 50+ times a game like he wants to do.

Yet he continues to keep trying to force square pegs into round holes, and then get up at the podium post game and complain about not being able to find an identity. Earth to Nagy, you already have a fucking identity... a terrible pass happy gimmick RPO identity. It's on YOU to wise up, put your ego in check, stop being stubborn and change it to something your roster can execute.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It was interesting to see the series where they ran a lot out of the I formation and it seemed like the run actually opened up more holes. I'm sure Nagy begrudgingly went there since he had said the previous week that "they didn't bring me to Chicago to run the I-formation..." Next series they went away from it again and I believe Nagy said it was because the D adjusted but I also suspect that Nagy can't help himself and go back to his desire for RPO and pass oriented offense. It would be interested to see them go heavy I-formation until the D shows they can consistently stop it.
We will see which it is this week.

That I formation hasnt been a part of our offense before last week. There are only so many different plays you can install in a week during the season. So if we run more I formation and a few other related different plays off of it this week, we will know Nagy is working to improve the situation.

If we see all ineffective shotgun cute stuff...we are in trouble...

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Charted the runs yesterday in my Nagy thread. Split them into 2 categories.... 1) dual back I-formation type runs with Holtz as a lead blocker and 2) all the other single back/shotgun RPO garbage runs Nagy uses.

Category 1 = 7.6 ypc
Although if you want to be more realistic and remove the fluke outlier that drops to 1.6 ypc.

Any person with half a brain that watches the all-22 should be able to see that the OL is terrible at executing the RPO runs with all the smoke and mirrors. It's plain as fucking day to see on tape. We got guys pulling and running into each other, tripping over each other, running into space looking around not knowing who to block and blocking no one at all... it's a literal shitshow.

Where as the straight forward hat on hat power runs with a lead blocker are able to be executed successfully with minimal mistakes as we just saw this week vs LA.

So clearly the problem here is Matt Nagy and his stubborn refusal to abandon his preferred scheme. It's not that that Bears lack an identity offensively, it's that the identity that Matt Nagy wants this team to have is not compatible with his roster. He does not have the talent at OL to execute his RPO run game successfully nor does he have the talent at QB to sit back in shotgun all day and sling it 50+ times a game like he wants to do.

Yet he continues to keep trying to force square pegs into round holes, and then get up at the podium post game and complain about not being able to find an identity. Earth to Nagy, you already have a fucking identity... a terrible pass happy gimmick RPO identity. It's on YOU to wise up, put your ego in check, stop being stubborn and change it to something your roster can execute.
No ... it' the qb keeping them from understanding how block ... thank you Broc, someone see's what I'm seeing, HH doesnt understand how to teach RPO blocking. Nagy is a farce

Category 1 = 7.6 ypc

I love you Bric, sorry, Broc, that is exactly why Matt 'numbnuts" Nagy has to go, a good HC would have have seen this after the openning GB game, but not our genuis HC. The fact that we have supposed football guros on this board carrying Nagy's jockstrap is laughable. " if he had a better QB" logical fallacy has worn thin...Nagy is an arrogant asshole that needs to go.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I mentioned it in other threads, but I want to emphasis it here,

Not only is the run game better in the I formation, but Trubisky seems to throw the ball better when he is under center and drops back. His mechanics and throws seem to be better too......

I'm not implying that Nagy should have Trubisky under center for every single play, but I agree with most of you, that it seems to be more effective than the RPO.

I wonder if it is related to how Fox had Trubisky under Center for the vast majority of his first season, it is just is something that Trubisky took a liking to?

Tostada

Liked Posts:
I mentioned it in other threads, but I want to emphasis it here,

Not only is the run game better in the I formation, but Trubisky seems to throw the ball better when he is under center and drops back. His mechanics and throws seem to be better too......

I'm not implying that Nagy should have Trubisky under center for every single play, but I agree with most of you, that it seems to be more effective than the RPO.

I wonder if it is related to how Fox had Trubisky under Center for the vast majority of his first season, it is just is something that Trubisky took a liking to?
Hush, you're thinking too well. Let's keep the narrative that Nugnuts is some brilliant offensive mind that little Mitch just can't understand ...mierda ...Mitch is regressing because the HC is a fraud.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
1 game doesn't mean it is improved. You need to see a pattern of improvement and properly utilizing the run game.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
They ran the ball well and still lost! Can’t abandon the run in the red zone which they did the first nineteen times in like the five yard line.

inexcusable! Field goals are for losers! If you drive the ball to the thirty and stall, a field goal is ok. First and goal inside the ten, field goals are hurtful!

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I stopped reading as soon as you wanted to exclude his big run. It happened, so its part of the success of the run game this past week

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
The idea of the run game is to keep doing it at 1,2,3 yards per clip until you break a few, and wear down the defense if you keep at it. You simply cannot throw out the highs and lows, average the rest, and say that is the yards per carry. This is football, works a little different.