Is there room for a FA like Nick Castellanos on the team?

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
He will be a FA and I don't think the Cubs can afford him. He's still fairly young at 27 and really impressed hitting lots of doubles and has some power..Don't know if he would be a fit with our current outfield situation?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Cubs will be able to afford him. The decision will be if they really want to pay him a lot. Forgot who it was but a national baseball writer was on the score and dropped the possibility of him getting a deal worth over $100M. Dunno if the Cubs would be interested in that.

As for the White Sox, they have a good young core. Time to spend.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
One starting caliber OF.
One left handed bat.
One top line SP.
All preferably LH, but that likely won't happen.
Resign Abreu and McCann.
Probably at least one bullpen arm and maybe another journeyman starter.

I think that's how you try to roll into next year.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One starting caliber OF.
One left handed bat.
One top line SP.
All preferably LH, but that likely won't happen.
Resign Abreu and McCann.
Probably at least one bullpen arm and maybe another journeyman starter.

I think that's how you try to roll into next year.
I think most of these are confounded with each other.

If you let Abreu go, and/or moved Jiminez to 1B/DH, then yes...maybe there is room for an OF. But that lefty short term could be Abreu, or Walker/Rutherford...

but Robert will be up no later than May. season acrued bullshit. Thats either CF or RF preferably. I would be impressed if they went away from Abreu and signed Castenellos with that money. Younger, going to give you similar bat production with better speed/more doubles.

So I guess my dream off-season is to sign either Castenellos or Abreu, and Keuchel or Bumgarner.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
What makes you think Walker or Rutherford will be able to contribute in the majors next year? I don't see anything that tells me that.

Here's what I'm thinking:
OF
Jiminez, Robert, starting caliber FA, Leury
C
McCann (3/4), Collins (1/4)
IF
Abreu, Madrigal, Anderson, Moncada (around the horn), Yolmer

You still probably have room for two more players, including one who's more of a DH/1B type, because Leury can play pretty much anywhere. They have lots of $ to spend and the fan base is going to demand real effort to win next year. No reason why they can't sign Abreu and 2 FAs. Rotate Jiminez, Abreu, and FA at DH.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
Castellanos would be a perfect fit. Problem is, as we saw again in the last offseason, the White Sox will not spend money on top free agents. With Madrigal, Collins (DH), Robert, and Castellanos added to the lineup every day, that would be very very scary for other teams to deal with. Add in a guy like Keuchel and some bullpen help with Kopech coming back and they'd be competing for the division.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I think Castellanos will be out of our range. I think his surge with the Cubs is gonna make him a hot commodity.

They'll probably go for someone like Puig. Puig has piqued their interest in the past, plus he's Cuban so they might think that's another role model for Yoan and Robert with Abreu. Not to mention Puig is a pretty well known player, for good or bad.

Is Puig the best option? No. But does it totally scream White Sox? Yes.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
I think Castellanos will be out of our range. I think his surge with the Cubs is gonna make him a hot commodity.

They'll probably go for someone like Puig. Puig has piqued their interest in the past, plus he's Cuban so they might think that's another role model for Yoan and Robert with Abreu. Not to mention Puig is a pretty well known player, for good or bad.

The thing is no one is out of their range. They have more money than any other team to spend. The problem is they either won't spend it, or they won't overpay for a player to come here, which they'd need to do. I seriously hope they let Puig be. He's most definitely not what the team needs.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
He will be a FA and I don't think the Cubs can afford him. He's still fairly young at 27 and really impressed hitting lots of doubles and has some power..Don't know if he would be a fit with our current outfield situation?

Why are you trying to take away the only bright spot the Cubs had this year, lol.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I follow except for role model.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know but

1. Anderson SS
2. Castellanos RF
3. Moncado 3B
4. Robert CF
5. Abreu 1B/DH
6. Jiminez LF/DH
7. Vaughn DH/1B
8. McCann C
9. Madrigal 2B

could be dirty come September next year if in the hunt.

But it makes too much sense to keep Engel around at CF, leave Robert at his natural RF, let Abreu walk, and start Jiminez training at 1B until Vaughn arrives.

Probably we have to suffer next year a bit, but its the end. Defense won't help the pitching, but they are young and the pitching is another year away.

Cast and a pitcher would be more than I expect. I'll take the pitcher and Engel in center until Barube/Rutherfod/Walker or somebody shows up who can improve his WAR. Defense might be the exact support the other players need, so a great center fielder should not be overlooked for value to this team construction.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Anderson SS
2. Moncado 2B
3. Robert RF
4. Jiminez LF/1B/DH
5. Vaughn

is a great core We were lucky to add Vaughn and find a true Abreu replacement. Robert is here, and Vaughn still has a shot at fast track by next summer. Houston can't stay together but our line-up begins to remind...

any chance we can go after Springer, Bregman, or Correa...how long can they keep them all? Castellanos more our price?

They just need Madrigal and Engel to play defense and hold the seams together. Springer or a RF would be awesome but I don't expect it with Robert being added to the OF.

Houston is the best team I have ever seen in my lifetime when Correa is healthy, which is rare. but holy shit, only the Dodgers can even compete. The Yankees cannot bash their way through the playoffs no matter how many years they try to. Losing Germaine is the death nell. Him and Severino together would be trouble.

1. Springer
2. Altuve
3. Brantley
4. Bregman
5. Correa
6. Alvarez
7. Gurriel
8. Chirinos
9. Reddick

1. Cole
2. Verlander
3. Greinke
4. Miley

It looks to me like Nationals, Houston, Dodgers, A's are the teams of destiny this year, your final 4. With Houston facing the winner of a great series I'm not going to call, and I'd give Nats/Dodgers a chance against Houston because they can actually put pitchers up against that unholy stockpile.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just think, you didn't even add in Tucker and Toro that are right on the doorstep as well.

Yeah...Tucker has good at bats. Looks like that modern guy who will hit 20-30 home runs with launch angle. More of a Reddick long term than a Springer/Bregman level guy imo...

but yeah...the point is they can't keep them all and don't need to. Correa is a problem for them.