IST: Cubs @ Cards

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Kimbrol will look to bring up value. Cubs have a closer job open. Cubs are a contender. Cubs are news. So for a guy looking for a impact signing Cubs are in the catsbird seat.

Kimbrel is not signing a contract for just the rest of this season.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Moose gets hit on the hand on 0-2. Strikes the next guy out then the little guy goes boom

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Thanks to walking the pitcher, Quintana has himself in trouble and is throwing a lot of pitches.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kimbrel is not signing a contract for just the rest of this season.

when you end up getting snubed by 30 teams ego gets tossed.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
when you end up getting snubed by 30 teams ego gets tossed.
Well, I am not suggesting he will get as much as he hoped for in the winter. But when the draft comp goes away in a few days, he may very well have more than one suitor.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
As you can see. St. Louis has a thunderstorm, and the game has been delayed.
I was just about to post that the Fox station here in St. Louis has had a TStorm a warning stickied to the screen all night.

I get the importance of warnings for tornadoes and flash floods. I may joke about getting back to the game when they cut in for such things, but in all seriousness, I do not have an issue with warnings of that nature for obvious reasons.

But can someone explain why a simple Tstorm merits blocking part of the screen? If there is a thunderstorm, isn't the best thing for me to do is simply go inside? If I can see the TV, aren't I already inside?

OK...I just posted that because I am bored.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Meanwhile, Pittsburgh can't score, and has to face The Natural again this inning.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well, I am not suggesting he will get as much as he hoped for in the winter. But when the draft comp goes away in a few days, he may very well have more than one suitor.

The Cubs financial story remains the same with one new wrinkle: an unfortunate family situation has left utility maven Ben Zobrist on the restricted list since May 8th. If his divorce continues to keep him out of action – which seems likelier than not at this point – the Cubs could recoup a good portion of his salary (in the neighborhood of $9MM), at least as far as the luxury tax is concerned. This new math could give the Cubs just enough room to make a viable run at Kimbrel. Roster resource pegs Chicago’s luxury tax number at around $223MM, whereas Spotrac puts the Cubs at around $200MM. The latter number puts the Cubs a little more than $5MM shy of paying the luxury tax, but Rosenthal suggests the Cubs aren’t as concerned about the tax in general as they are the $246MM line that incurs the harshest penalties. Whether current spending has them just under the first threshold ($206MM) or the second threshold ($226MM), either valuation of their current payroll ought to leave enough room to make a competitive offer to Kimbrel while staying under (at least) the final tax line. There are, of course, other potential suitors courting Kimbrel.

So they basically are saving 9 mil this year. It really depends if they want to long term or not with him. I could see 9 mil year 1 then a upscale with performance perks. They can cut Morrow easy enough. Strop hits F/A. They have Maples and Edwards. It is something to build around if they chose to go that route.

I just don't see this line of teams going after him. This will end up being a rental for contenders that cost cash vs prospects. Teams that don't want to add payroll and have talent most likely will pass.

All things considered this is a 4 month gig for him. 9 mil basically is 12 mil over a season. That is fair rate for him right now.

As far as competition I see Atl and Mil as the 2 big threats. LAD will be there but that would be a set up job and that is not going to help him cash in next year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So Alozay 6 IP 1 Hit. 1. BB. 8 SO.

He is up to 32 SO 7 walks 17 hits in 25 innings combined.

He is on a crazy run right now and it is going to be hard to not promote him.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Game to start again around 11

DanTown

Liked Posts:
So Alozay 6 IP 1 Hit. 1. BB. 8 SO.

He is up to 32 SO 7 walks 17 hits in 25 innings combined.

He is on a crazy run right now and it is going to be hard to not promote him.

It's very easy to not promote him: you don't really have anyone in the rotation to replace him. If they have a need, maybe he gets the call but there's no real reason to push him.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Chunky with a called 3rd strike. 3rd time this week

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It's very easy to not promote him: you don't really have anyone in the rotation to replace him. If they have a need, maybe he gets the call but there's no real reason to push him.

Players get called up based on the needs of the MLB team.

They don’t stay in AAA based on the needs of the minor league team.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He would go to the pen at first. I don't see them resigning Cole.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Players get called up based on the needs of the MLB team.

They don’t stay in AAA based on the needs of the. Minor league team.

Exactly.

They could pull a 6 man rotation also in a long stretch then push him into the pen after.

But I find this to be wishful thinking. The most likely situation is starting out in the pen. Get his feet wet.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Exactly.

They could pull a 6 man rotation also in a long stretch then push him into the pen after.

But I find this to be wishful thinking. The most likely situation is starting out in the pen. Get his feet wet.
I don't expect him to start in MLB right now. I just read the post to mean the AAA team had nobody to replace him. I believe it was written backwards and he meant "nobody on Cubs for him to replace in the rotation" which is also how you have interpreted it.
But I responded initially to how it was written, but later assumed he didn't mean it that way.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't expect him to start in MLB right now. I just read the post to mean the AAA team had nobody to replace him. I believe it was written backwards and he meant "nobody on Cubs for him to replace in the rotation" which is also how you have interpreted it.
But I responded initially to how it was written, but later assumed he didn't mean it that way.

Darvish was on the bubble but he has been better. Lester is the guy that really needs to stabilize right now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
D8ERG0FXUAA6NwP.jpg