IST: Cubs @ Cards

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The Cubs financial story remains the same with one new wrinkle: an unfortunate family situation has left utility maven Ben Zobrist on the restricted list since May 8th. If his divorce continues to keep him out of action – which seems likelier than not at this point – the Cubs could recoup a good portion of his salary (in the neighborhood of $9MM), at least as far as the luxury tax is concerned. This new math could give the Cubs just enough room to make a viable run at Kimbrel. Roster resource pegs Chicago’s luxury tax number at around $223MM, whereas Spotrac puts the Cubs at around $200MM. The latter number puts the Cubs a little more than $5MM shy of paying the luxury tax, but Rosenthal suggests the Cubs aren’t as concerned about the tax in general as they are the $246MM line that incurs the harshest penalties. Whether current spending has them just under the first threshold ($206MM) or the second threshold ($226MM), either valuation of their current payroll ought to leave enough room to make a competitive offer to Kimbrel while staying under (at least) the final tax line. There are, of course, other potential suitors courting Kimbrel.

So they basically are saving 9 mil this year. It really depends if they want to long term or not with him. I could see 9 mil year 1 then a upscale with performance perks. They can cut Morrow easy enough. Strop hits F/A. They have Maples and Edwards. It is something to build around if they chose to go that route.

I just don't see this line of teams going after him. This will end up being a rental for contenders that cost cash vs prospects. Teams that don't want to add payroll and have talent most likely will pass.

All things considered this is a 4 month gig for him. 9 mil basically is 12 mil over a season. That is fair rate for him right now.

As far as competition I see Atl and Mil as the 2 big threats. LAD will be there but that would be a set up job and that is not going to help him cash in next year.
Sounds like Spotrac is not counting the 15-20 million of incentives that go towards the tax.

Everyone knows Kimbrels velocity was down (which was why Theo stayed away from Jake) and he gave up alot where the red sox used Evoldi more

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Embarrassing week. After losing 2 series to the Reds, you play like this? Good grief.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Shift did not stop the carpenter hit but kept Javy away from the tag.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The run in the 8th is the difference!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only good thing from this series was the starters looked good. Tomorrow is another day.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
OK, I'm going to start counting how many times you whine about the Cubs in June, then post it on the forum

Gone through this thread and already have 6 whines
Whatever keep your heart ticking...
Enjoy your nap now

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You would seriously consider bringing up a starter who has never started in the major leagues, and have him replace Jon Lester in the rotation??

Wow.

Did I say that?

No

I said that he is on the bubble and needs to stablize. That has nothing to do with replacement

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Strop got the win tonight. Cargo hit a HR

Waiting on that change

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
suck ass, lazy cub performance. I think they were tired but no excuse. and this erases the earlier sweep of the cards. cubs need to get their shit together and find their bats. Its a long haul and if they are dogging it now, they'll be dogging it come october. Lets get some runs!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Only good thing from this series was the starters looked good. Tomorrow is another day.
Yes, that was a plus.
If we had been outslugged 3 straight games, it would bother me more.
Hard to say on the rain delay game, but Friday and Sunday starters allowed one earned run total. That's a good sign.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Did I say that?

No

I said that he is on the bubble and needs to stablize. That has nothing to do with replacement
You clearly implied that Alzolay should replace a starter, and pointed to lester as most likely due to "being on the bubble".
If you think Lester is about to lose his spot in the rotation after three poor starts (after leading the league in ERA prior to those three), I will simply say I disagree strongly.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like Spotrac is not counting the 15-20 million of incentives that go towards the tax.

Everyone knows Kimbrels velocity was down (which was why Theo stayed away from Jake) and he gave up alot where the red sox used Evoldi more
You clearly implied that Alzolay should replace a starter, and pointed to lester as most likely due to "being on the bubble".
If you think Lester is about to lose his spot in the rotation after three poor starts (after leading the league in ERA prior to those three), I will simply say I disagree strongly.

No I said Alozay should get promoted into the pen.

The comment on Lester was regarding him struggling.

Alozay is interesting as a starter but I don't expect a major move like that in a chase.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes, that was a plus.
If we had been outslugged 3 straight games, it would bother me more.
Hard to say on the rain delay game, but Friday and Sunday starters allowed one earned run total. That's a good sign.

After Cargo showed that he can hit and Strop pretty much ready. Well a change should be pending. Maples and adduci bye bye

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pitching prospect Adbert Alzolay (No. 4 on the Cubs' Top 30 list per MLB Pipeline) struck out eight over six shutout innings on Saturday for Iowa. Over his past three starts, the 24-year-old righty has turned in a tidy 1.06 ERA with 23 strikeouts, two walks and just six hits allowed over 17 innings. Jason McLeod, the Cubs’ senior vice president of player development and amateur scouting, recent discussed the possibility of Alzolay reaching the Majors this season.

"I think it’s depending on what the Major League needs are," McLeod said. "For me, it’s a matter of if he's healthy, which he is, obviously. So, assuming he's healthy, and then dependent on what the Major League club's needs are. Those two things will have to align."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maddon said his only focus right now is the pending return of late-inning arm Pedro Strop, who was scheduled to make a Minor League rehab appearance for Triple-A Iowa on Sunday. Barring anything unexpected, the next step for Strop would likely be activation from the 10-day injured list following his bout with a left hamstring injury.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Cubs have looked like pure shit the past few weeks.

Look at the competition though. Teams that want nothing more than to beat the cubs. Houston wants to back up their "we're not the 2016 cubs". Reds dont want to be stepping stones, Cardinals threw Hicks all three games. That is drive and determination to beat a rival. That is why I call Maddon "hippie" ball. "Don't get upset you keep grounding into the shift and hit the ball directly to the shortstop playing short left field." Forget about the loss, go out and party and be back tomorrow forgetting all about it.

Hell, you watch Heyward just plain want to go to left field on an outside pitch and smash a single to left instead of pulling a ground ball to second. Guess they forget about that one tomorrow too.

Watch the pitches, they are shifting to pull and pitching all the shifted hitters away just on a tee to go the other way.

We cant keep waiting for the NL to bring the DH here, and cant just be waiting for MLB to ban the shift. Hitters need to stop the shift themselves by taking what is on a silver platter.