IST:Cubs@Cards

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
According to Bryant this was a "season deciding stretch", so how has the big "Core 4" done during this most critical point in the season? During this 3-6 road trip Baez is htting .233 Rizzo .161 Bryant .216 and Contreras .153....for a 'Core 4' combined average of .193. Way to go guys. We've been waiting nearly 180 games for this team to "hit like they are supposed to". Once again...like the end of last year...after Theo's challenge....it's the same ole garbage especially when it's a more pressure situation. They fold like a cheap suit. This IS consistency. They are consistent in their utter failure when the slightest pressure is on. Any other division and the Cubs are long gone out of it. So .193 average is how the Cubs big sluggers respond? In this "season deciding stretch"? (Bryant's words... not mine). Pathetic.
Did you copy and paste that? It literally might have been from you earlier in this thread.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This team is low energy right now. Hard to watch.

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
Can the media and fans just stop with the constant overhyping of this team? I saw a piece by some dumbass suggesting Bryant is having an "MVP type season". Really? 26th in batting average....46th in home runs...tied for 88th in rbi's...and everyone points to OPS...where he is 14th. Not bad....but in what friggin universe is that anywhere near an "MVP type season"? My gawd. This whole "core 4" has failed miserably...just like the end of last year. NOTHING has changed except they are now hitting even worse. They have scored 3 runs this entire series and TWO of them un-earned. Hey...if being just barely over .500 does it for you...whatever turns you on; but having the 2nd highest payroll in the majors and flailing like this...ESPECIALLY at the most important moments? This is absolutely pathetic. An embarrassment. Theo has done a horrific job putting this team together. With the 2nd highest payroll...to be struggling just to stay over .500? It's a friggin sh!t circus...with Theo as the ring leader...and what's he gonna say after the season? "These guys are gonna have to perform now...and I REALLY mean it this time....cuz the Ricketts aren't gonna spend any more money". And in fairness to the Ricketts....they gave Theo a shitload only for the "genius" to fart it all away on a bunch of overhyped ...overrated...under achieving lame asses.

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
Did you copy and paste that? It literally might have been from you earlier in this thread.
I didn't break down the particular stats like that earlier. You can hate me. That's fine. I'm not here to start fights....I'm a bigger fan than anyone...but I think we need a big dose of reality when it comes to this team and what they really are.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I didn't break down the particular stats like that earlier. You can hate me. That's fine. I'm not here to start fights....I'm a bigger fan than anyone...but I think we need a big dose of reality when it comes to this team and what they really are.
I agree they are annoying as shit. Their underachieving is remarkable for the talent.

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
One thing you can fault Maddon for...is why the hell do you pitch Holland against a right hander for that killer 3 run homer? What does Joe do with his restaurant after he gets fired? That being said...this is the 2nd highest payroll in baseball...and THIS...is what Theo does with it? He'll fire Maddon as the sacrificial lamb to cover his own ineptitude...but Maddon HAS made some bizarre decisions.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It’s time to move on to football season where there is realistic hope. Bryant and Rizzo pitiful at bat after Castellanos would work the pitcher cemented that for me tonight.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
One thing you can fault Maddon for...is why the hell do you pitch Holland against a right hander for that killer 3 run homer? What does Joe do with his restaurant after he gets fired? That being said...this is the 2nd highest payroll in baseball...and THIS...is what Theo does with it? He'll fire Maddon as the sacrificial lamb to cover his own ineptitude...but Maddon HAS made some bizarre decisions.
Theo built and gave us a World Series team. I’m not going to complain too much about him, but he does miss on a lot of free agents. I’m fine if he wants to tear down and retool in the offseason

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Maddon is clueless with a pitching staff and is much better with a young squad rather than a veteran squad.

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
Joe just said the home run from Weiters...he "didn't see that one coming". Really? Knowing Hollands numbers vs. right handers...and how it is universally known he is only good for left handers? Joe is really shocked by that?

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
Maddon is clueless with a pitching staff and is much better with a young squad rather than a veteran squad.
There's just sooo many things wrong with this team. Manager making questionable decisions...the inept lineup...especially when the pressure is on. The bullpen...etc etc. I will always be appreciative of Theo for putting together a team that could actually win a World Series for the Cubs. How can anyone not be? But (I've said it a few times now) to have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball....and be playing like this? I enjoyed the 89 loss 2014 team waaaaay more than watching this 2019 team play. At least you didn't have the torture of watching under achievement like this. There is nothing worse in sports than a team with this much "supposed" talent....playing like this.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Can the media and fans just stop with the constant overhyping of this team? I saw a piece by some dumbass suggesting Bryant is having an "MVP type season". Really? 26th in batting average....46th in home runs...tied for 88th in rbi's...and everyone points to OPS...where he is 14th. Not bad....but in what friggin universe is that anywhere near an "MVP type season"? My gawd. This whole "core 4" has failed miserably...just like the end of last year. NOTHING has changed except they are now hitting even worse. They have scored 3 runs this entire series and TWO of them un-earned. Hey...if being just barely over .500 does it for you...whatever turns you on; but having the 2nd highest payroll in the majors and flailing like this...ESPECIALLY at the most important moments? This is absolutely pathetic. An embarrassment. Theo has done a horrific job putting this team together. With the 2nd highest payroll...to be struggling just to stay over .500? It's a friggin sh!t circus...with Theo as the ring leader...and what's he gonna say after the season? "These guys are gonna have to perform now...and I REALLY mean it this time....cuz the Ricketts aren't gonna spend any more money". And in fairness to the Ricketts....they gave Theo a shitload only for the "genius" to fart it all away on a bunch of overhyped ...overrated...under achieving lame asses.
The media, especially ESPN, wants to give Bryant a woohoo on his weehee

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
What do you do with this team in the offseason? Theo...(despite his threats) is not gonna do anything with the "Core 4"...and we already have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball...so what the hell do you do? This offseason Theo let Daniel Murphy go and signed Descalso instead. WHY? He's hitting .289 by the way. AND...Tommy LaStella...who was practically an MVP candidate before injury. This team with all the scouts etc. didn't see that coming? At all? I'd rather we rebuild....AGAIN.....then watch this team flounder and struggle just to stay over .500. So are we just hoping and praying that after 180 games or whatever since it last hit with any significance...that it will just suddenly click? Or....does Theo say AGAIN..."hey...we've spent a lot of money on this team and they just have to perform. And I mean it this time".? If I were Theo..I would use his team of mathematicians and seek out players who have proven records of hitting in clutch situations.....be willing to part with some of the numerous underachievers? What if this team finishes in 3rd (or worse) place in division?...which is entirely possible seeing as they are just one game ahead of 3rd place. 3rd place with this kind of money invested in it?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
What do you do with this team in the offseason? Theo...(despite his threats) is not gonna do anything with the "Core 4"...and we already have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball...so what the hell do you do? This offseason Theo let Daniel Murphy go and signed Descalso instead. WHY? He's hitting .289 by the way. AND...Tommy LaStella...who was practically an MVP candidate before injury. This team with all the scouts etc. didn't see that coming? At all? I'd rather we rebuild....AGAIN.....then watch this team flounder and struggle just to stay over .500. So are we just hoping and praying that after 180 games or whatever since it last hit with any significance...that it will just suddenly click? Or....does Theo say AGAIN..."hey...we've spent a lot of money on this team and they just have to perform. And I mean it this time".? If I were Theo..I would use his team of mathematicians and seek out players who have proven records of hitting in clutch situations.....be willing to part with some of the numerous underachievers? What if this team finishes in 3rd (or worse) place in division?...which is entirely possible seeing as they are just one game ahead of 3rd place. 3rd place with this kind of money invested in it?

I think Theo has to consider nuking it. This isn't working.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
We all know the pen issue's but what's up with the hitting lately or the lack there of? Looks like they have no focus. They look lost at the plate! They are gonna need to hit a shit load better than they are now to win the division or even make the play-offs.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I think Theo has to consider nuking it. This isn't working.
I’m not suggesting trading everyone, but the hauls they would get for Rizzo, Bryant, Contreras and Baez along with the other spare parts would make things a real quick turnaround.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I’m not suggesting trading everyone, but the hauls they would get for Rizzo, Bryant, Contreras and Baez along with the other spare parts would make things a real quick turnaround.

One of the issues is a potential conflict of interest. Theo has 2 or 3 years left on his deal and then he is most likely done. Does he want to spend those remaining years overseeing the beginning of a rebuild? Not likely.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
One of the issues is a potential conflict of interest. Theo has 2 or 3 years left on his deal and then he is most likely done. Does he want to spend those remaining years overseeing the beginning of a rebuild? Not likely.

Honestly if you traded those guys, had a year or two of high draft picks again, along with trading guys like Lester, Schwarber whatever you could be looking at having like a quarter of the top 100 prospects in baseball

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Thank you so much, how wonderful of you to share your infinite knowledge.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I thought it was interesting/bizarre that in the most important game of the season to date, Maddon pulls Lester with runners on base and the guy he turns to is...Derek Holland!

Maybe DanTown is right...maybe Kyle Ryan IS being optioned in the next 13 days...hmm.