Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Since ‘15 till now, the Cubs have had their best yearly winning percentage since the 1930’s.
The tanking was worth it for that one WS. But for the people that thought there would be 10 years of cost controlled “sustainable”success, think again. It’s been a good run but maybe ‘16 was their ceiling?
So their cieling is a WS title? I will take it!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So their cieling is a WS title? I will take it!

Looking back at it. 20/20 is always this beautiful thing.

I would have rather have given up 2016 and retained Torres. We would have had Batman and Robin at SS and 2B. Superman at 3B and Aquaman at 1B.

Just saying.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Looking back at it. 20/20 is always this beautiful thing.

I would have rather have given up 2016 and retained Torres. We would have had Batman and Robin at SS and 2B. Superman at 3B and Aquaman at 1B.

Just saying.
And no world series title, which is kind of the point

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You catch the end shot where Bryant picking up his glove and walking back inside the dugout like nothing bad happened. So comfy, no anger, just ho hum.
Ahhhhh, fans.
They need their players to throw things or they think they don't care.
Players who seem to stay calm and not get rattled become the target of criticism by fans who want to see anger.

Greg Maddux and Kyle Hendricks are wrong. Carlos Zambrano is what we want.

That's a great take.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So now we have fans saying "I'd rather we kept Torres" (and not won a WS) so that we would have more talent now and could make the playoffs every year. And saying it about a team that won a WS....and HAS made the playoffs every year since.

OK.

Like saying "I would rather be 92-70 every year and win no titles, than run the risk of winning 88 one year."

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Yes and no.

2018 was Torres rookie year. .271/.340/.480 Banged out 24 HR's. That year Russell got into Pee Pee issues and that would have been a natural turn over and his OBA would have been ideal as the missing line on this team. IE lead off.

That would have pushed this year into Torres leading off and not having this revolving 2B and lead off issue.

So yes 2016 was great because of the Cubs situation at that time. But looking at it for a over all perspective 1 dump doesn't justify killing a extend run at a title.

2017 they had no shot at it. 2018 they had to fight to get into a 1 game. and now the pack if moving ahead.

Everything revolves around losing Fowler as the lead off and Joe pushing every option out there because he was not given the proper tool for the job.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
ECLb4OVWkAE_-vF

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes and no.

2018 was Torres rookie year. .271/.340/.480 Banged out 24 HR's. That year Russell got into Pee Pee issues and that would have been a natural turn over and his OBA would have been ideal as the missing line on this team. IE lead off.

That would have pushed this year into Torres leading off and not having this revolving 2B and lead off issue.

So yes 2016 was great because of the Cubs situation at that time. But looking at it for a over all perspective 1 dump doesn't justify killing a extend run at a title.

2017 they had no shot at it. 2018 they had to fight to get into a 1 game. and now the pack if moving ahead.

Everything revolves around losing Fowler as the lead off and Joe pushing every option out there because he was not given the proper tool for the job.
Torres is no guarantee for a title. The Cubs would do what they did 100 out of 100 times

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Torres is no guarantee for a title. The Cubs would do what they did 100 out of 100 times

Like I said it was a yes or no thing.

At the time yes 100%

Now no. I would rather have had them being a top 3 team every year and being close.

The 90's Braves only won it 1 time and were there every year. But as far as a body of work it was successful because they were in the series or on the cusp every year.

The Cubs sacrificed the extended run on 2 trades.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But they could still fix the core issue going on internally.

I see the biggest issue and I mean biggest is run generation. Yesterday were got our panties in a bunch over the 9th inning. But the problem was not that at all. It was letting a 5.00 ERA pitcher look like Jim Palmer.

And yes this is going back even further. This road series has become bad comedy.

So I see this as they need to start at the top. They needs a guy up there that is getting on base regularly.

Aug production only focused on OBA.

Bote has 20 PA but a .500 OBA. 5 BB and 8 hits. That is a option for 2B leading off.

Castellanos .409. This is more sustained. 5 BB and 22 hits in 61 PA.

Rizzo .390 He has been pretty steady in OBA. SLG .360
Schwarber .383 OBA/.590 SLG So this is starting to become interesting as a solution.

So how about this take

Rizzo lead off. .390 OBA .360 SLG. He is more a run than a run producer right now.
Castellanos. .409 OBA enough said.
Schwarber .383 OBA and a .590 SLG. I do think this should be ridden out.
Bryant .339 OBA and a .463 SLG
Happ .333 OBA .737 SLG
Baez .315 OBA .608 SLG
This should be a rotation between Heyward and Russell. See who preforms better.
Lucroy (He is producing better than Caratini ATM)

The main issue is Heyward just sucks at lead off. Aug production? .182/.308/.386 It is gross.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I said it was a yes or no thing.

At the time yes 100%

Now no. I would rather have had them being a top 3 team every year and being close.

The 90's Braves only won it 1 time and were there every year. But as far as a body of work it was successful because they were in the series or on the cusp every year.

The Cubs sacrificed the extended run on 2 trades.
They made 3 straight NLCS and won a World Series. Last year was their only short post season run. They are also still fighting for a division crown this year. How long do you think teams runs are?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They made 3 straight NLCS and won a World Series. Last year was their only short post season run. They are also still fighting for a division crown this year. How long do you think teams runs are?

Depends on market size. Cubs can sustain a 200Mil line up.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ahhhhh, fans.
They need their players to throw things or they think they don't care.
Players who seem to stay calm and not get rattled become the target of criticism by fans who want to see anger.

Greg Maddux and Kyle Hendricks are wrong. Carlos Zambrano is what we want.

That's a great take.
So now we have fans saying "I'd rather we kept Torres" (and not won a WS) so that we would have more talent now and could make the playoffs every year. And saying it about a team that won a WS....and HAS made the playoffs every year since.

OK.

Like saying "I would rather be 92-70 every year and win no titles, than run the risk of winning 88 one year."

Get em, TL.....you're on a roll.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Agreed here.
We suffered for so long and no one can take 2016 away now. Did we deplete the farm? Did we mortgage the future? Shit man we are contending. 3 NLCS' and a title and we make the playoffs and have a fighters chance every time. I like those odds.
I don't think this is a series team this season, but I still want to see them get to the playoffs if it means limping in and gettting bounced again so be it. We are among the best every season for about 5 years now. I love it. respect the journey too!

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To all the dorks on this forum....the JJs, Lurkers, Garvins, Dildo Alts or whoever I may have missed....have you ever played team sports? I'm serious....you're list of negative BS responses indicate you have not. Fans....who are influenced heavily by the media....take losses far more to heart than the players ever do. If you ever played you would know that there are no "tough" losses....there's just losses and players quickly move on from them. As a player, the only time it hits hard are losing elimination games. If any of you were to say to any Cub player that the season is over with 40 games left and the Cubs in easy reach of first....they would laugh in your dumb fucking face.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Only saw first inning and left. Saw Bryant take a pitch down the middle for strike 3. Again. That was enough for me.