IST: Cubs vs A's

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So I'm guessing it was not about the A's being a lefty killer line up. It was a Lester killing line up.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I'm guessing it was not about the A's being a lefty killer line up. It was a Lester killing line up.
Umm A's are lefty killers but Jon def. didnt pitch well. He said he is the weak link right now. Ill take that mind set. HE will right it

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it was Martinez.
The infamous rumors that Ryne Sandberg’s ex-wife was involved with former teammates such as Rafael Palmeiro, Mark Grace, and/or Dave Martinez. Those rumors were never proven, and nobody has ever discussed the matter publicly.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wasn't Grace the guy?

He could've been. I doubt anyone will ever know for sure who it was or even possibly how many for that matter.....but I did hear a lot more stories involving Martinez than anyone else. If memory serves, I believe Davey was also moved shortly after the story broke...so there's that.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He could've been. I doubt anyone will ever know for sure who it was or even possibly how many for that matter.....but I did hear a lot more stories involving Martinez than anyone else. If memory serves, I believe Davey was also moved shortly after the story broke...so there's that.
Palmeiro didn't stick around either.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Palmeiro didn't stick around either.
It was either Dunston or Palmiero getting traded along with Jamie Moyer and Drew Hall for Mitch Williams, Curtis Wilkerson, Paul Kilgus, Steve Wilson and 2 players to be named later. Texas wanted Palmiero.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Umm A's are lefty killers but Jon def. didnt pitch well. He said he is the weak link right now. Ill take that mind set. HE will right it

They were sitting on his 89 cutter. He is at the point that his fastball sits at 91. He rarely goes to his curve.

Basically he has to be pinpoint with his location or he becomes Travis Wood pretty fast. We have seen it already from both sides of that coin.

I've said that he is the 4th best starter on the staff and after what Q did vs the same line up you could argue #5.

It has little to do with like or dislike. It is about velocity. He has lost it. He is the same age as Hamels and Hamels is still pounding 95 and can drop a nasty change up that makes hitters fall on their front foot.

So it is what it is.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
What a great come back! I’m such a horrible poster that Illinois should go bowling in year 4 instead of year 3 of TLSFP.

They won't be bowling this year either. I guess you'll change it to year 5 after the coming season.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
They were sitting on his 89 cutter. He is at the point that his fastball sits at 91. He rarely goes to his curve.

Basically he has to be pinpoint with his location or he becomes Travis Wood pretty fast. We have seen it already from both sides of that coin.

I've said that he is the 4th best starter on the staff and after what Q did vs the same line up you could argue #5.

It has little to do with like or dislike. It is about velocity. He has lost it. He is the same age as Hamels and Hamels is still pounding 95 and can drop a nasty change up that makes hitters fall on their front foot.

So it is what it is.
He needs to figure out how to have a bit more movement on his pitches, IMHO.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
There is no excuse for them not to be 6-6 this season.

Vegas has the over/under for Illinois wins set at 4.5 So, I wouldn't be counting on 6 wins if I were you. It could happen but looking at the schedule, I don't see it.

Last edited:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was either Dunston or Palmiero getting traded along with Jamie Moyer and Drew Hall for Mitch Williams, Curtis Wilkerson, Paul Kilgus, Steve Wilson and 2 players to be named later. Texas wanted Palmiero.

LOL
I googled it and it's not been publicized who it actually was...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I thought it was multiple people with Sandberg's wife. It wasn't just an isolated incident. So its possible/probable that Sandberg's wife was involved with Palmeiro, Martinez & Grace.

Not sure about Zobrist's wife being involved with Palmeiro, though. That seems a bit "ick" on a Celine Dion level.

major_league_3.jpg

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He needs to figure out how to have a bit more movement on his pitches, IMHO.

Ya it is called doing what Kershaw did and increase usage of his curve. Shaw can add or subtract from it and hitters have to go in expecting it. That way his harder stuff appears faster than it is.

Lester comes in with a 89-91 velocity primary. Will use offspeed combined 20%. So hitters are sitting on 1 speed and occasionally will get on their front foot.

At this point Jon should just add more offspeed. That balance is needed at this point for him.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Vegas has the over/under for Illinois wins set at 4.5 So, I wouldn't be counting on 6 wins if I were you. It could happen but looking at the schedule, I don't see it.
I don't think you read my post correctly. There is no excuse not to be 6-6 this year.