IST:Cubs vs Brewers

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That was a horrible wasted opportunity.
Maybe if Javy wasn't thinking it was a HR, as Cain was, he could have been on third to start that inning.

As it turns out, not only did I really want to end it before Chatwood had to pitch another inning, he ends up batting. Ouch! That was bad. And I am worried about Chatwood in the 14th. Hope he proves that there is no reason to worry.

Edit: Seeing the replay, Javy didn't cost himself a base.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That ball flys out 99% of the time at Wrigley. Sucks

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Guys I got a crazy idea but here me out.... the cubs should score a run this inning.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That was a really nice inning from Chatwood. He did indeed show no reason to worry.

Now for shit's sake.....someone score.

(That wasted triple in the first needs to be forgotten, not the difference in winning or losing.)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If the cubs end up winning this i think the big time bullpen usage favors them tomorrow over the brewers who rely way more on their bullpen.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
OK, Javy. Hit this one a few feet farther. Or to left.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Whew!

Way to go Willie.

He looks SO much better this season. Huge boost to the offense.

How many different players have had a walk off this week? Three?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Tyler Chatwood =MVP

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Cubs were out of pitchers. My hat is off to Chatwood. Great shot by Willy but the bullpen carried us for this W. Go Cubs Go

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Man, what an outing in extras by Chatwood. And thank you Willy!

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just got home a went through this thread. Cubs won so it's hard to complain too much but from what I'm seeing here from you guys....it was another umpiring clusterfuck. Joe West and his crew are a disaster that wildly over influence games.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Just got home a went through this thread. Cubs won so it's hard to complain too much but from what I'm seeing here from you guys....it was another umpiring clusterfuck. Joe West and his crew are a disaster that wildly over influence games.
I didn't catch the game until they were already in the 12th but zone seemed fine to me. Think it was more just the weather being crummy

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You caught the last three, I caught most of the first three which pretty much sets precedent.....Cooper was calling anything that was over the plate and not hitting dirt a strike, ankle high shit. Hardly the first time this group has been criticized.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Heyward has some really weird batted ball data. To cut to the chase, he's always been a HEAVY pull hitter at 42.1%. League overall excluding pitchers averaged 40.7% in 2018. The reason this is weird is his 2019 spray rates look like this 26.3%/49.5%/24.2% for pull/center/oppo. For more context, the least pull hitter in 2018 was Mauer at 25.5%. What we've seen through a pretty decent sample size here is Heyward go from a pretty pull heavy hitter to among the least pull heavy in the majors. He currently leads the majors in lowest pull rate.

What's interesting to me anyways is that from my understanding the reason you sell out that much as a pull hitter typically is to get to your power. But in Heyward's case this year hitting the ball to center and oppo more in fact arguably has made his power better. His hard hit rate has fallen some since his scorching start but it's more or less within his normal range. However his medium contact rate is up(5%) and almost all of that coming from his soft contact rate going down. His .200 ISO is the second highest in his career behind only 2012 where hit 27 HRs.

When you add in the fact his walk rate is 14.0%... I really don't think any of this is smoke and mirrors. One could argue this is literally the best hitter Heyward has ever been. Normally you'd look at his rookie year for that. But consider this, his walk rate in 2010 was 14.6% to 14%, his k rate was 20.5% to 14.7%, his iso was .179 to .200 this year, and he hit .277/.393/.456 that year to his current .267/.371/.467 but remember that he also had a .335 BABIP in 2010 to his current BABIP is .274.

What's also interesting to me is I feel like people sorta view Heyward on the down side of his career just because he's already been a FA but he's only 29 this year. That's typically when most players hit FA. So, seeing him actually become better isn't that crazy. Jose Bautista had 0.4 career fWAR from 23-28. His age 29 year he broke out for 6.6 fWAR followed by 8.1, 3.1 in about 2/3 of a season, 4.1, 6.2, and 5.2 before he finally fell off the rails at 35. There's numerous other examples of guys busting out at 28-29.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
You caught the last three, I caught most of the first three which pretty much sets precedent.....Cooper was calling anything that was over the plate and not hitting dirt a strike, ankle high shit. Hardly the first time this group has been criticized.

strike zone was terrible, but I actually think that favored us. I felt like the zone was at least consistent. It was called both ways.