IST:Cubs vs Brewers

TL1961

Liked Posts:
right, and now the discussion is will he be the first pitcher who cannot throw to anything but a catchers mitt be in the hall of fame. With the standards falling has they have, this would put a complete joke wing on that building.

So your contention is that his inability to throw to first should disqualify him, even though it is rarely a factor in a game.

You do realize he allows very few stolen bases, don’t you? Or do you?

That is less a factor than pitchers’ hitting ability, and I know of no sane person that would factor that in.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I saw that last night. Cincy’s is much better than Pittsburgh’s. Cincy may hang around. Not contending for division, but .500 or better which is WC2 contention (as 25 teams will be)

The Reds are just weird right now. They have five big blowout wins and that's about it. The Cubs have as many blowouts, but the Reds aren't consistently outscoring teams in the 4-6 runs range like the Cubs are. I think their Pythagorean is a bit of an early-season mirage.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
right, and now the discussion is will he be the first pitcher who cannot throw to anything but a catchers mitt be in the hall of fame. With the standards falling has they have, this would put a complete joke wing on that building.

Jon Lester is not going to be even a borderline HOFer, so this point is silly.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
He doesn’t bunt because he sees that it costs more runs than it creates. In other words, he is smart enough to go with what works, not what someone “has always done”.
Nonsense, because when he wants to bunt no one on the team can do it because they don't practice it and it's not a desired strategy by the manager

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Reds are just weird right now. They have five big blowout wins and that's about it. The Cubs have as many blowouts, but the Reds aren't consistently outscoring teams in the 4-6 runs range like the Cubs are. I think their Pythagorean is a bit of an early-season mirage.
Maybe. I just see they have a plus 30 and Pitt is minus 25

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Nonsense, because when he wants to bunt no one on the team can do it because they don't practice it and it's not a desired strategy by the manager

So, wait......I said it was not a desired strategy and you argued that it was because we don’t practice for the reason it is not a desired strategy.

Whaaat?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Joe Maddon might call the safety squeeze more than any other manager in baseball.

That's a bunt, in case you'd forgotten.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Joe Maddon might call the safety squeeze more than any other manager in baseball.

I like the squeeze play, but if called too often it becomes ineffective. Hard to stop a lot of thetime, but it can’t be obvious.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets

AND THE CUBS AS A TEAM ARE TERRIBLE BUNTERS BECAUSE MADDON DONT VALUE BUNTING NOR TEACH IT

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Ommy: JOE MADDON DOESN'T VALUE BUNTING!

Me: Actually, Maddon values a certain type of bunting more than any manager in the game.

Like talking to a fucking wall.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets

Me: Actually, Maddon values a certain type of bunting more than any manager in the game.

Like talking to a fucking wall.
HOW MANY CUBS BUNTS ARE SUCCESSFUL? HARDLY ANY

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bunts are as useful as castor oil. Get out of the past.

Not necessarily. If the players like Rizzo and Schwarber weren't so hard headed, they'd teach themselves how to drop balls down near the wide open spaces at 3B. Instead, they choose to hit into the shift. The shift only works because the hitters allow it to work. But Omy is foolish to blame management...the players only want to drive the ball these days. They don't bunt because they simply don't want to... you're not gonna get stellar results forcing a player to do something he's not happy doing.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Not necessarily. If the players like Rizzo and Schwarber weren't so hard headed, they'd teach themselves how to drop balls down near the wide open spaces at 3B. Instead, they choose to hit into the shift. The shift only works because the hitters allow it to work. But Omy is foolish to blame management...the players only want to drive the ball these days. They don't bunt because they simply don't want to... you're not gonna get stellar results forcing a player to do something he's not happy doing.
Last time I checked the managers were in charge

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bunting is for the worst little league hitters who go back to their mommy's to wipe their noses after wiffing on a 50 MPH lob.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I like the squeeze play, but if called too often it becomes ineffective. Hard to stop a lot of thetime, but it can’t be obvious.
Sure it can. It’s not going to look horribly different than a sac bunt. A safety squeeze is about getting the bunt down and the runner getting a good jump.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs have come around sense the beginning. They are ranked #6 in runs allowed.. #3 in ERA #2 in runs Scored per game.

Right now they are really good. If anything is holding them back it is Darvish. But here was the last 2 transactions. Montgomery off DL and Cedenio off DL. That did 2 things that strengthen the rotation. 1 they can piggy back Darvish. Thus giving the pen a off day per rotation. 2. It removes Montgomery from being required to pitch on short rest with 2 lefties in the pen

I think that they are pretty much set up nicely for the season now.

But I personally thought that Lester was toast this year. Dude keeps proving the sceptical wrong